• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did you work while going to HS and college?

High school: babysat and tutored Algebra

College: Worked in the College's bookstore during the school year, and as a phone company operator, a waitress, a Subway employee, and a library clerk— each for one summer

I worked various jobs through most of college. Worked at an amusement park for a summer. Taught day care for a few months, worked at a video store over Christmas season. Best job was working tech support at the computer lab, especially in the summer when nobody was there. Spent most of the time playing Civ II.

I did not work in high school.

I tried to work during high school, but I had too many school-related commitments (sports, clubs, etc.) so ended up working only during the summers. My first summer I worked at iParty (now party city), the second was at a panera-style restaurant, the third I was a camp counselor and kept that job for 8 summers, moving up the ranks to a supervisory position. A few summers I also worked retail so that I had employment in the month between college letting out and camp, and ended up keeping that job my senior year at college, coming home one weekend a month to stay on payroll. My first three years of college I didn't work. I worked part time through grad school as well at the non-profit where I currently work full time.

I babysat and mowed 3 laws while I was in highschool. I was very fortunate and I had parents who wanted me to focus on my studies and they paid for all of my expenses. But right after highschool I worked at a daycare while going to community college, then when I went off to the state university I didn't work for the first year and used my savings to support myself. My second year away I worked at a housecleaning company (worst bosses ever), and the daycare again during the summer. My last semester of undergrad I didn't work because of my courseload.

Now I'm back in school again, taking a two year program. I can work during the first year, and hopefully during the first semester of the second year, but the last semester of the program is basically doing fieldwork for 40 hours a week, so I'll be unable to work.

Started as a clerical assistant during the summer when I was 15 and did that for the next two summers. At the end of senior year in HS, I processed insurance premiums on a huge computer at the VA (great job
because it was well above minimum wage and very easy). I didn't work during the school year for freshmen and sophomore years of college. Junior year, I worked in the day care center on campus. Senior year, Pizza Hut (great money!) and the learning lab at college.

In junior high and high school I did a LOT of babysitting. Then at the end of my senior year of high school I got a job at a small, locally owned children's clothing boutique.
In college, I worked at a grocery store. That was actually a "REAL JOB"---Union and everythng. When I was 20 I was a cashier and making $15+ hr (this was in the 90's when minimum wage was $5.35/hr) plus time and half on Sundays and triple time on holidays. Plus excellent medical insurance benefits. It was a good deal for someone with my age/experience...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter