Did you stay at your home resort prior to purchase?

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by joanne312, Feb 11, 2013.

1. disbound09

disbound09 Mouseketeer DVC Gold

We stay at SSR before we purchased there. Really loved the resort and are happy with our purchase. That said I would buy at the resort that you are most comfortable with and in your case a visit may be in order. Or split between the two resorts. The 11 month window is not a factor at SSR except for the THV but a major factor at the two resorts you are considering.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. Pirate Granny

Pirate Granny DIS Veteran

We rented points and stayed at GV at OKW...had a family meeting the last night to get everyone thoughts. Our 3 daughters are adults with 2 of them married with families. Although it was our $$$, we wanted their input. We bought resale enough points to do a GV every three years for ten days. BCV is for yearly trips and hope to add on VWL for Nov-Dec trips with hubby and I!:cool1:

4. chalee94

chalee94 <font color=green>I thought all sand was ground up

did not stay at OKW prior to booking, but i'm pretty easygoing and happy to just be on-site at wdw.

5. psac

psac DIS Veteran

We're in the same boat where we're heavily considering adding on at AKV, but we're staying there for the first time in April, and we're getting impatient. We have been at Jambo for Boma and Jiko a number of times and love it. I couldn't imagine buying at OKW, for instance, where I've never stepped foot in.

6. kristenrice

kristenrice NOT just an ambulance driver

We bought our HHI points and we'd never been anywhere on the Atlantic coast! We bought enough points to go every three years. We took our first trip in 2011 and we're going back in 6 weeks! I could not be happier with our purchase. We frequently travel over spring break which is often Easter week and that has become very difficult to get at HHI, particularly since we like the 1BR's. I love everything about HHI and I think DH likes it better than WDW.

7. Ilyo

Ilyo Happy DVC Member

Stayed in several non-dvc disney resorts over the years prior to buying..and then did a cash reservation at Boardwalk and bought at BWV a few months later through resale.

8. gdrj

gdrj DIS Veteran

We did not stay at BWV before buying. We had stayed in OKW and they had just stopped selling OKW (we've owned for sometime!)

Extremely happy with BWV. We love being able to walk or boat to EPOCT and Studios. The Boardwalk in the morning grabbing a cup of coffee at the bakery, watching Disney wake-up is great!. Being able to stroll over to EPCOT for dinner is huge!

What I really like about BWV is the feeling of a Resort/Hotel. We've stayed at BLT, AKV, OKW, SSR, BCV, and my wifes always insists on splitting so we spend part of our time at BWV, if not the whole time.

Good Luck with whatever you do, IMO, no wrong decisions, PLUS you can always book at other resorts.

9. GOOFY D

GOOFY D DIS Veteran

Nope. Never stayed at BLT, but stayed at Contemporary several times. We bought based on location and our stays at the Contemporary. We are awaiting ROFR on BWV and purchased there based on our love of the area and location.

10. chasshan

chasshan calgirl6

I am awaiting ROFR for a BWV contract. (first time dvc buyer)
    We've never stayed there, but stayed at the Beach and Yacht club hotel once each. The location is amazing, which you really don't have to visit to know.
    The kids loved SAB pool area! We chose BWV because BCV does not have GV and the 2bd at BCV are smaller square footage. We are a big family and definitely need the space.
    If you are deciding between just those too, if it were me, I would decide without a trip and put the money towards the contract or future trips on your points.
    If you were deciding between two completely different locations like BLT vs BCV or AKV vs BWV then maybe a trip would be good. But it sounds like you know the location you want to be. Just look at the pros and cons, the photos, dis threads etc. and go for it!

Just my opinon, Good Luck with your decision!
    Shanna

11. bwang123

bwang123 Posts: 1,457,177,981

no. we had researched AKV for a few years and then made the purchase. we did see the model prior to that though. do not regret it at all.

12. sara mom

sara mom Mouseketeer

We purchased direct at Animal Kingdom without staying there prior. Now that we are looking to add on, each of our upcoming visits are split stays to check out other resorts we are considering.

13. candiemonster

candiemonster Earning My Ears

We stayed in Aulani before we purchased. If it wasn't for the stay 3 get 5 nights promotion that they offered last year, we wouldn't have stayed at that resort. We fell in love as soon as we it there and decided to purchase because their rack rates we're very expensive!

14. disneybass

disneybass There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at

No, we had always stayed a CBR and love the tropical feel since we are beach people. Did some research on DVC and saw OKW and fell in love. We just bought a 50 point resale to see if DVC was for us and we have been happy ever since. We have added on 3 more small resale contracts since with the last being BWV. ( for food and wine)

15. mommyarewegoingback

mommyarewegoingback DIS Veteran

Nope. We have been going to disney since before we were married. Stayed at BC, BLT, AKL, all the mods except CBR, Pop and ASM. But we bought BWV, because of location and cost. We know the resort and area since we visit BC or BW every trip for lunch or dinner. We love the bustling Boardwalk and all the awesome restaurant choices around all of crescent lake.
    -Virginia

16. rmcildw2m

rmcildw2m DIS Veteran

I have never seen my resort HHI but the pictures sure look nice , maybe one day .

17. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

No, I did not tour either. I stayed at Beach Club the year before (1998) and what really got me thinking about it was a stay with friends in a 2 bedroom at OKW. I liked the larger OKW room but I loved the Boardwalk area location. Those were the only 2 choices at the time. I decided on BWV because reservations were harder to get. For the first few years (2000-2005) my mom was still alive and we did May at OKW and early December at BWV every year, both 1 bedrooms. After she passed, I did either solo trips or trips with friends, really no pattern. I have done all the WDW DVC's except BLT and SSR. I am staying in a BLT studio in 2 weeks so SSR will be the only one left. Have also done VGC twice. None of the offsites.

18. barrylisa

barrylisa Earning My Ears

We made a quick trip in November to stay at BCV and ended up staying at BLT also. We chose BCV for location and value. We bought resale.

19. geraghty

geraghty Mouseketeer

We never stayed at BLT but our kids are young (2 and 5) and our favorite park is magic kingdom. We rode the monorail several times on our last trip when we ate at chef mickey's, 1900 Park Fare and Aloha and imagined one day being able to afford to stay at one of the resorts on the monorail. We only bought 100 points resale so we left room to add on somewhere else in the future if we want to. Like many others I did my research and will use our next trip to do some more research.

20. Tunseeker1

Tunseeker1 Mouseketeer

Nope. I found out about vacation club when they started building HHI, where my parents had a condo. I bought at what is now OKW. I did an add-on at vero without ever going there because we couldn't get in at the times we wanted to go without the 11 month window, then we added AKV because we have kids and I thought it would be a good idea if I ever wanted to book a value room!

21. Evita227

Evita227 DIS NUT

I am VERY new to DVC information, thus this question - When we sat down for this presentation at Disney back in 2009, the guy said it doesn't matter what resort you get a time share with, except that different resorts have different maintenance fees, points cost different amounts, and you get higher priority for booking if you book at your home resort? Why does it matter if you "like" the resort or not?