Did you have an epidural?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by peainapod, Jan 24, 2013.

1. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

First 2 - no, but they were real quick, only in hard labor about 1-2 hours.

Third one - yes, labor was taking longer (yeah, I was older), only problem was it affected my right leg more than my left, so couldn't walk for about 8 hours afterward.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kimblebee

kimblebee now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Yes, for knee surgery and refuse to ever have one again. I ended up having a spinal headache that lasted for 5 days. It is the worst pain I have ever felt and never want to risk that again.

4. rhanditresmom

rhanditresmom <font color=red>Apparantly I play for the Washingt

1st one - Yes, ended up in a C-Section

2nd one - No....she was in a hurry to be born. There was no time!

5. LuLuO

LuLuO <font color=darkblue>I am against mandatory fun<br

My first, no.

My second was a c-sec due to being breech so, yes.

6. fairestoneofall

fairestoneofall DIS Veteran

yes for all three. with my third, i was going to wait it out, but decided to get one. i ended up with a c-section, so i was glad i already had it.

7. sandynd

sandynd Rookie Desperado

Yes, 22 hours after labour started. I had been determined to go natural but I wasn't dilating far enough because of stress. She was born an hour after the epi :cool1:

8. aaarcher86

aaarcher86 DIS Veteran

Same deal after 36 hours!

9. mickeyboat

mickeyboat <font color=660099>Nothing like the cream and choc

Yes with #1 - I was induced at 34 weeks but was not progressing. Once I had the epidural they were able to crank up the pitocin and she was born 6 hours later.

No with #2 - I begged but there was not enough time. It was very intense and very painful.

10. taylor3297

taylor3297 DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had a spinal not an epidural. The medicine used for the spinal is different then what they put in the epidural. I had a spinal with my second child since I could not do a VBAC. I ended up with the spinal headache also and you are correct, it is horrible!

11. Disneyland1084

Disneyland1084 OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!

No! Dh didn't think I could do it, but I proved him wrong both times. Main reason was fear of becoming paralyzed. It's EXTREMELY RARE, but has happened to women before.

12. Jennasis

Jennasis DIS life goes on

Yes, but for back pain, not for a pregnancy.

13. cappygirl

cappygirl Mouseketeer

Yes and what a relief it was!!

14. bettymae1121

bettymae1121 sure. fine. whatever.

Oh hells yes!

I firmly believe that I recovered from labor so fast because of it. Battleing pain like that really sucks the energy out of you, and IMO when you are bone tired like that, it just takes you longer to heal/bounce back.

15. RunningGirl

RunningGirl DIS Veteran

No x 2, and no regrets. Walked, walked, walked as long as I possibly could all over the ward.

16. Ginny Favers

Ginny Favers <font color=green>I told my husband I think they m

Yes, greatest invention ever.

17. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 DIS Veteran

Me? No.

My wife? Absolutely :p

18. jen0610

jen0610 DIS Veteran

I didn't have one with either kid, but it sure wasn't because I wanted to feel the pain.

With DS, I was lucky to have an IV hooked up or have DH get to the hospital in time. No time at all to have one. I'm not joking when I say it was the equvilant to a car going 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. I moved from 4 cm to 10 cm and pushing that fast. The army hospital didn't have the nice rooms that you delivery and stay in. They had rooms you were in while laboring, then they moved you to a delivery room, back to the laboring room right after birth, before finally moveing you to a regular room hours afterwards. I was moving so quickly on them, they were preping both the laboring room and the delivery room for me. They didn't know how quickly I was going to have him. It was comical to actually see peoplebounchin off of each other as they were rushing around. Helped take your mind of what pain there was. And in all honestly, it truely wasn't that bad.

With DD, they induced. Said any time I wanted it, they would give it to me. I wasn't in the mood for one and figured I'd wait awhile. Well, when it got to the point that I was like ok, lets try this epidural thing, it took the DR over an hour to get to the room, so by the time he was trying to put it in, my body did the 4 to 10 thing again and he didn't get to finish. Once again, it really wasn't that bad. Now, this time around I did have an IV in, but I don't remember if there was anything in that to take the edge off or not. If there wasn't it wasn't anything to strong, because I can still remember the contraction that made the nurse stop the epidural. That was the worst one, DH said I nearly broke his fingers. But I think it was the worst, because of being all bent over hugging on the pillow while the DR was trying to put it in.

19. EmJay2001

EmJay2001 Mouseketeer

No, No and YES! First two were too fast (no time) but the third yes :). Water broke but did not labour so had plenty of time (they had to drip me to go into labour). WOW, what a difference it makes :).

20. njmom47

njmom47 <font color=blue>He's such a fiend!<br><font color

No (Demarol)

21. smitch425

smitch425 DIS Veteran

Yes, with both kids. It worked (a little too well) with DD, but with DS is did not work at all. :sad2: