Did you change your auto insurance?

wdw&sonny

DIS Veteran
I just learned that you need a Florida Auto Insurance Policy to be covered while in the DCP if you have a car there. My insurance company said he would not be covered with his OH policy.
How many of you knew that? Did you get a new policy?

I just did so for my 20 y.o. son and am sick by how much it costs.

I think it depends on your home state insurance laws. My MA insurance told me I could have my DD on my policy as "garaged at alternative address". My DD's roommates had cars from out of state and they needed to show proof of insurance to the housing complex but neither had to get FL insurance.

I think it depends on your home state insurance laws. My MA insurance told me I could have my DD on my policy as "garaged at alternative address". My DD's roommates had cars from out of state and they needed to show proof of insurance to the housing complex but neither had to get FL insurance.

Just like out of state college is handled with some insurers.

What insurance company do you have? Is it by STATE or by Insurer?
I have Geico in Ohio. The FL policy for my (single, male, under 25) child is costing me $200 per month while he is there?
I am wondering which companies DO NOT require the separate policy. This is a big added expense I did not expect.

What insurance company do you have? Is it by STATE or by Insurer?
I have Geico in Ohio. The FL policy for my (single, male, under 25) child is costing me $200 per month while he is there?
I am wondering which companies DO NOT require the separate policy. This is a big added expense I did not expect.
I thought each state had their own auto insurance laws. Did you tell your agent that he is just there for 6 months and you want to keep him on your policy? I know kids from MA, VA, KY and TX who did not have to get different policies when they were in DCP (Fall 2015). They had to show proof that they had auto insurance to get the parking permit but it did not have to be FL. How much does it cost you to have him on your home policy? It was almost that much for me to have my DD added to my policy, so at least if you took him off your home policy while he was there you could save some money. But I would call your agent back and say it is just temporary and see if they have some provision for that.

State Farm Insurance Company (in Illinois) considered my daughter to be a student, therefore, she was allowed to stay on our policy for the duration of the CP. During the time of the CP, she also maintained her permanent home address as ours and the car was titled in our name. She began a Management Internship when she completed the CP and State Farm allowed her to remain on our policy but I don't think they liked doing it that way because she was no longer in the Disney Housing. As soon as she finished the MI and began working full-time for WDW, State Farm could not cover her. She established residency in Florida, got her DL, registered her car in her own name, and obtained insurance through State Farm on her own policy.

I guess the key points are that she was a student AND the car was not titled to her. She did have to provide proof of insurance when she checked in for the CP. She got a letter from State Farm. We were told that the insurance card you normally carry was not sufficient -- it had to be a letter from the carrier. I contacted the agent and it was easy to arrange but don't wait until the last minute to get it!
Lynda

My DS is currently doing the DCP. When he decided to extend he bought a car in Florida. We had the car licensed in our home state so that he could stay on our insurance policy. We use MetLife and they had no problem insuring him. They also consider him an out of state student.

OP here.
I have Geico in OH. I explained to the agent that he is there temporarily and it is a "college" program. He checked with his manager. Because he is there longer than 3 months, Geico said he needs a separate FL policy. The policy is still in my name. The car is in my name. I wish I had never raised the issue. But, they did say that if he were in an accident while "living" in FL, Geico may not cover him unless I get a FL policy. I felt guilted into it.

DD went with her car and kept her insurance. She was covered just as if she were going to college out of state. She is now in another state going to a new college and is covered as well since her permanent address is here. The only thing we would have purchased is rental insurance to protect her stuff in apartment but since she took so little we didn't worry about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!