Did you change plans for this Long weekend- due to gas prices?

peacefulgirl

DIS Veteran
I didn't have plans, but I am staying home!

The traffic here that is usually HUGE backups on the Friday (yesterday) of this weekend, was NONE!! No traffic going on vacation !! That is really really unbelievable!

How is it in your world? Are people traveling? Are you?

What changes have you made to "save the budget?"

I just took my kids for the day to Six Flags in NJ from NYC, but that'll be the extent of our Labor Day weekend. :moped: Otherwise, we'll just be barbequeing at home. :sunny:

I was going to go to Rehoboth Beach for the day... not anymore!

I had ressies for the AS-Movies for the weekend, but with my city's gas supply (or should I say non-supply) I had to cancel

Usually we spend at least a day downtown by the lakefront. This year we're staying put.

I was going to the All Star Music for a week and a half, was to leave at 3:00 a.m. but cancelled because of fear of not finding fuel.
I have been trying to find another place for hubby and me to go for vacation. Work hard all year, save each week, and then because of a lack of gasoline, everything has changed.

We didn't have big plans, but I'm staying put regardless. I'm not even going to make it a Blockbuster night! We'll watch our copy of National Treasure instead of going and renting something new. I think Dave Ramsey would approve! :goodvibes

Also, I noticed the road behind my house has been unbelievably quiet today. It's a back road, but usually very heavily travelled.

Definitely! We had planned to either spend the weekend in Williamsburg (about an 8 hour drive) to use our Busch Gardens season passes or at least go up to Pigeon Forge (about an hour away) to the outlet mall sales. With gas as expensive as it is, we're trying to avoid even going five miles to the grocery store. Just staying in and hoping that prices will be down by the end of the week as some experts predict. We'll all need fillups again by then from driving to work and school.

Sheila

Sticking close to home. We had a yard sale today with a friend, and made about $70 after paying for the ad. Not too bad. Tried to tie in a trip to the grocery store while I was in that direction, and just going to church tomorrow (about a 4 mile rt trip). Other than that, the car will be parked for a while! :)

We also had planned on an out of town trip...about 2-1/2 hours north to visit DH's family for a couple of days...but changed our minds due to gas concerns. Instead of spending extra $$, DH worked a few hours of OT today so he actually made money! Had it been Thanksgiving or Christmas, we probably would have made the trip...

I carpooled to Sam's today with my sister. It's about 14 miles to town from here.

We weren't going anywhere this weekend anyway. DH has to work Monday and we just got home from a trip to New Orleans last Saturday. We had incredibly fortunate timing.

All the hotels around here are totally full and gas stations were running out of gas on Friday....too scary to be on the road.

We just had to drive to a neighboring town about 40 minutes away to do some shopping. When the family travels we always take my car, an SUV with pretty dismal mileage. Yesterday we took my husband's small sedan because it gets great mileage.

We decided to cancle our plans due to the gas prices. We'll just cook on the grill and swim at home instead.

No cancelling here. Family reunion is about 2 hours away, I'll be picking up my mom and heading there about 10 this morning.

I worked friday and yesterday, 1/2 hour each way, my driving hasnt changed yet. Might be due to the 27.5 mpg my car's been getting

Brandy

we considered a trip this weekend, but changeed our minds a while a go to save money. The gas uncertainty just helped us to feel like we made the right choice. We'll probably do something local this afternoon instead.

We where suppose to drive 2 hrs to stay at my in laws lake house but changed are mind because of the gas prices. We didn't want to waste the money.

I didn't have any plans for the weekend, but DH did. He thought we were going to travel 60 miles to a store that sells coral "just to look" YEA RIGHT!!!
Not with the way gas prices are!!! Then if he found something, there is more money down the drain to me.

He is already complaining that he is going to have to work OT just to pay for gas, so why go 60 miles that we don't need to, just to look at corals. Then they might not even have anything. ??? :confused3

DH and DS did go with my FIL to a flea market today, but FIL drove. They can afford the gas prices though, they have no debt what so ever. Only basic month to month like eletric, water, etc. I would much rather just stay around the house and wait for the NASCAR race tonight. :banana:

Nope. I drove 1.25 hours each way to go to the beach one last time at the family cottage. Almost went to Six Flags, but decided to save $ for Disney. Gas to each place would have been the same, but the beach was free. :earboy2:

I went to the store on the way home from work Friday... hey gas price dropped here today by .10 !!! yay!

Our plans changed more due to H getting a good paying side job over the weekend. We still went on our trip out of state to visit DS but didn't leave until late friday night and got to our hotel at 5am, better gas mileage not needing the ac. I always check out all the gas stations on the way down to find the cheapest place to fill up on the way home and it was $2.93. We did canceled our outing to go on a cave tour due to being tired and not wanting to drive/use more gas and just stayed at the hotel to watch movies and swim. The traffic seemed the same as it's always been on this drive we've made many times.

Calie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter