Did anyone ever....

I've been trying to get a price quote and can't find anything for AKL or villas for 5 people for next summer. Can everything be booked already??

There are no rooms at AKL that sleep 5 anymore unless you go for a suite or 2 rooms. AKV units will be hard to get because the DVC owners will grab them up first.

I just booked two nights at AKL at AP rate for Oct. :banana:
Although we've never stayed before, I got the standard room (no view), since we've visited several times and enjoy the many viewing spots around the resort for animals. Since we're only there two nights before we go to SSR, I didn't want to pay the extra for a view as we will be busy out and about all day. I'm sure when the DVC section is done, we will for sure get a savannah view at our 1 bedroom though - this is a quick side trip for my DH's 40th, our family vacations are usually two weeks long with lots of down time, so a balcony over the savannah will be a definite must!
I think it's worth it to pay the extra if you'll be spending more time in your room with more opportunity to enjoy the view - if not, I'd just get the cheaper room and catch a glimpse of the animals when you're out in the resort somewhere.

Last year, we didn't spend much time looking for the animals. However, everytime we did look, there was always something out there. I was a bit dissapointed because most of the time, there were only birds out there! I believe that I saw a bunny or two, but they appear all over the place. Every once in a while, we'd see something really cool like a giraffe or a zebra. No meerkats, though.

There are no meerkats at AKL so I am not surprised you didn't see any;)

What you see will depend on where your room is located. We've always had better luck on the Zebra Trail but this year we were on Kudu Trail near Arusha Rock and saw plenty at various times during the day. We were near the storks pond so saw them a lot plus all the Florida critters and birds who have discovered that the AKL is a nice place to live:rotfl: We have stayed at AKL many times over the years and it seems that it is getting harder for WDW to keep the non-African birds and animals away - they try different feeding tricks but the others seem to find a way. Just check out the baby ducks at the flamingo pool:

92445AKL_06212007_F0F5478-med.jpg

boy really surprised at how many of you had lousy views with a SV. I though a SV room was a guaranteed view of the animals. So where were you with the lousy or for that matter good or great view?

if you want a AKV 1-bedroom (sleeps 5) then go rent a reservation from a DVC member.

they probably won't be available to the general public until Jan - about 6 months before your arrival. DVC member can get them at 11 months before arrival - if you find a DVC member that owns at AKV.

I though there were deluxe rooms on other floors - DVC is only using the 5th and 6th floor.

weren't there some on the 4th floor? now there will be construction noise - which might not allow you to book now. but most of the nasty noise is surpose to be gone by Dec. So not sure what the problem could be.

I thought there were some larger rooms available to the public - maybe they are few and far between. I've tried numerous weeks with no luck. Maybe I would do better calling than using the online system.

We were in a Savannah room last year and the animals were very far away, only once were they anywhere near our "building". Certainly nothing like what the AKL propoganda shows and I would never pay for a Savannah view again because its not worth the risk of getting another lousy room again.

BUT, that being said, there WERE pleanty of awesome Savannah view rooms and I would say most guests do have a decent view. We were just in a very lousy location when we stayed there.

Well our experience is from when AKL opened so I am sure things are lots different now, but yes we paid for the view and virtually saw NO animals the whole time we were there. It was terrible. The only time we saw them was when the guy came with the feed truck and then you would see them. We were joking with our british balcony mates next door each day. Sometimes we saw a few animal butts but that was it. It didnt matter what time the day or night it was. Because of our bad experience our ds have asked never to stay there again and we havent. Oh wait, we did see about 3 giraffe in the public viewing area on our way out the hotel at 5 am when we were getting our shuttle back to the airport!! I know people know say they see lots of animals and that is good but it was not our experience.

I can't imagine not seeing any animals from your room at AKL. Maybe it's the time of year ?:confused3 We were there in early March. Perhaps it's the area/savannah you are at. We were placed at a watering hole so we had plenty of animals all times of the day. One day we returned to our room mid-afternoon and every animal prominent to our savannah was there and plenty of them. Plus we had certain animals bed down for the night around the watering hole. We walked all around the resort and seen plenty of animals everywhere, but I'm sure there are times when they're in hiding or gathered somewhere else.
Honestly. I would not be concerned. If you paid for a SV I'm sure you will see lots of animals. I heard from many people that they paid for standard views and many were upgraded for free to a SV. Perhaps they give the rooms that have less animals around to the "free" upgrades?:confused3 Just a thought. Also, I'm sure if you don't see anything after a day or 2 you can request a different room.
AKL is an awesome resort. It's like getting 2 vacations in 1 ! You will not find anything like this anywhere else in America that I know of. Disney does not disappoint and IMHO this has to be one of their best idea's ever!!!!:thumbsup2
Relax...you're going to LOVE it!!!!! :yay:

We were in a Savannah room last year and the animals were very far away, only once were they anywhere near our "building". Certainly nothing like what the AKL propoganda shows and I would never pay for a Savannah view again because its not worth the risk of getting another lousy room again.

BUT, that being said, there WERE pleanty of awesome Savannah view rooms and I would say most guests do have a decent view. We were just in a very lousy location when we stayed there.

Do you remember your exact location?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!