Diane's trip report day 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 & 8(going home)

Just an FYI about my discussion with an OKW manager today. I asked specifically about some mousekeeping issues. He told me if there are issues, they WANT to hear about them so they can make corrections where there are short comings. He said they have weekly meetings with building supervisors, and each building has it's own supervisor (supervisor's have more than one building though. I told him about being in the same unit two stays in a row and having similar issues with housekeeping both times. Nothing major that I couldn't deal with, but something I wanted them to know about anyway. FYI, the issue was leftovers from a previous guest left in the fridge and freezer, and the ice not emptied from the previous guest. Also the shower door had enough soap scum on it that I'm sure it hasn't been cleaned for awhile.

I also asked about the non-smoking policy and how they enforce it. Sorry if this part might have to be eliminated from the thread, but I was curious. He told me if you smell smoke in the building, you should let them know ASAP, and they will have the housekeeping supervisor investigate it. He said they can't enter a room for that reason, but they can investigate when they have to do any regular service of it, and they have automatic charges that will be made to the guest.

I also asked exactly WHAT service should be expected if you pay for extra full cleaning. He told me it should be exactly the same service done before you check in. That was my issue at Jambo last January when I ordered a full cleaning , but got something less.

He also told me that "room ready" does NOT effect requests. If you request a specific building or section they will give that first priority, but they do try to get those who check in earliest into rooms first versus those who check in later.

We took advantage of the low crowds and did a couple of games of Buzz Lightyear just walking right on. The first game we got “stuck” with our car in the volcano room and discovered a “trick”. If you hit the target at the top of the volcano, it is worth 100,000 points!

Thanks for the "trick"! I will be sure to use it against my DH in 2 wks. He always beats me on Buzz. Sounds like you are having a wonderful, relaxing trip. Keep it up!! Hope you enjoyed your day at EPCOT today. I can't wait to see all the flowers. I think its so beautiful and love to just stroll around and take it all in.

Have fun!!

Cyndi

Originally Posted by dianeschlicht
I also asked about the non-smoking policy and how they enforce it. Sorry if this part might have to be eliminated from the thread, but I was curious. He told me if you smell smoke in the building, you should let them know ASAP, and they will have the housekeeping supervisor investigate it. He said they can't enter a room for that reason, but they can investigate when they have to do any regular service of it, and they have automatic charges that will be made to the guest.

Interesting!

Day 3:
Today we got up early and caught the early bus to Epcot. We were lucky in that the first bus to come along about 30 seconds after we arrived at the bus stop was the Epcot bus. We had our gardens of the World tour. This is the first time we have done this tour, and it was moderately interesting, but the guide didn’t go into nearly the detail I expected. It was great getting to view the gardens and topiaries with few to no people around. This tour guide was one whom you had to kind of pull the information out of. He was also hearing challenged, so he didn’t hear a lot of questions.

We finished the tour by going backstage behind Canada. By that time it was 12:30, so we went over to Teppan Edo in the Japan pavilion and got seated almost immediately. The couple next to us was also a DVC couple, and we had a great time talking to them. Teppan Edo is always a great meal. After our meal, w walked over to America to listen to our favorite Voices of Liberty. At the end of their performance, we went up and watched the show. There were some new scenes in the movie part of the Golden Dreams segment. When we saw this show last January, they canceled the show half way through because Will Rogers “lost his head”! LOL, thank heavens he was fixed again!

By the time we left the American Adventure, we were hot (it was about 94), so we decided not to go wait in the Soarin’ ride, but instead headed back to OKW for some relaxation. That’s when I walked up to the Hospitality House to do some shopping and to talk to the manager about my concerns. I bought a pair of Mickey crop pants and walked back to our villa. FYI, for those DVC members who want to know…the walk from building 46 near South Point is about 5 minutes to Hospitality House…..NOT the end of the world.

We had a hard time deciding to go back out in the heat, so we didn’t do anything until it was about 8 pm. Then we went out to catch the bus back to Epcot so we could watch Illuminations again. Crowds were VERY light at Epcot tonight, but I suspect the weekend crowds will start tomorrow.

The gardenias are blooming here at OKW, and it’s so fragrant every time you walk out the door! LOVELY!

Hey Diane-enjoy the rest of your trip here. I'm so sorry we never ran into each other. I'm sitting down in Building 18 bemoaning the fact that we're going home tonight. Hasn't it been really hot? We also went to Epcot yesterday-but it only took about an hour before the heat really got to me. It's so nice to get the room/area you want.

Thanks for the fresh update! I'm glad you had a good day despite the heat. That is nice you got in at Teppan Edo - I'm assuming without an ADR? :confused3 That's great for you!! Continue to have a wonderful vacation.

Diane,

Thanks for letting me live vicariously though your trip report. Would you please post a picture of your new capris. I want to make a pair before we go in Sept.

I don't think you are boring at all, it sounds wonderful. I am trying to wonder what 94 feels like??

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time! Also, thank you for your Buzz tips! I am always looking for improvement and bragging rights over my nieces/nephews!! :lmao:

Day 4:
Today we went to Animal Kingdom. We are really getting lazy in our old age! In the past we would be up and out before 8, but even with just the two of us, we aren’t making it out of the villa before 9, and it’s usually 9:15.

Dick doesn’t do roller coasters, so when it’s just the two of us, I don’t subject him to sitting on the sidelines waiting for me to ride them. That means we don’t have to get to the heavy duty rides early when it’s just the two of us. We started out by going to the first Finding Nemo the Musical performance of the day. This show is so fantastic, and I could see it every day and not get tired of it. In the past we felt that way about the Hunchback show that used to be at the Studios. Anyway, the theater wasn’t full, and we had great seats.

After Nemo it was time for a Safari, and the heat already at that time of the morning was getting oppressive. We didn’t see many of the bigger animals, and most of them were hanging in the shadows.

After The safari it was noon, so we hit our favorite Flame Tree BBQ for a quick lunch. While there, a friend from home called, and it turned out they were also in the park and standing in line at Flame Tree. We met up with them and after a nice lunch and chat we all 4 headed for the Flights of Wonder show. They also accompanied us through the Asia Trek, and by the time we finished that, it was time to head back to OKW to cool off, pick up a few groceries and get ready for our dinner at Jiko.

On the way to our dinner reservation, we decided to take a quick look at Kidani. The inside is much like Jambo, but I have to say the outside is a bit underwhelming. I was expecting it to have the “WOW” factor that the main lodge does, but it really looks a bit like a Holiday Inn from the parking lot side. Of course, it will look a lot better when the vegetation grows in a bit. The Library is wonderful, and I really liked the fire pit area, but the lobby was a disappointment.

Dinner at Jiko was wonderful food as always, but the dining plan is really starting to annoy me. When it first opened, Jiko was a wonderful “date” type special evening. Now it’s full of screaming little kids who don’t want to be there. I don’t mean that to sound anti child in a place like Disney that is made for Children, but people need to think a bit about where they take toddlers. I suppose this was particularly noticeable to us since we had a shrieker right behind us. It was so loud we couldn’t even carry on a conversation. Now there were plenty of well behaved children there too, and it’s a great way to introduce children to fine dining, but it really isn’t a place for the under 3 set. Okay…off the soap box.

Enjoying your report. I don't think your days are boring. My DH says that he would love those kind of days at WDW.

Hi Diane, thanks for the dose of Disney. We got some needed rain finally back here tonight. Was wondering if you have gone in May before-is it always that hot already? Our kids are getting older so we are starting to think about off peak times to visit.

Hi Diane, thanks for the dose of Disney. We got some needed rain finally back here tonight. Was wondering if you have gone in May before-is it always that hot already? Our kids are getting older so we are starting to think about off peak times to visit.

Yes, we did Flower and Garden in May a couple years ago, and it was mostly in the 80's. I'm told this heat is unusualy for this early.

We have new neighbors next door in the studio portion of what would be this two bedroom lock off. I wouldn't have noticed, but they moved in last evening while we were sitting here waiting to leave for our dinner reservations. We were both typing away on our computers when we heard someone open the connecting door on the studio side of the unit. Then they started to turn the knob on our side, and the door actually started to open! It startled me, and I quickly jumped up and pushed it shut and locked it. I thought perhaps it was kids, but this morning while I was sitting here posting , I looked up and an old man was leaning over the railing of the balcony next door looking in our living room window at me.

Who does that kind of stuff on vacation??? Things don't bother me much, but I have to admit I'm a bit wierded out by that. The door thing alone woujld have been forgotten by me, and I didn't think it important enough to mention here when I was posting last night, but combined with what happened this morning just makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Ok - :scared1::scared1: I would have been freaked out totally and I think it should be mentioned to someone. I agree the door thing would not have bothered me - as Diane said I would have assumed kids - but the peeping -NO!!!!

And as a parent of a 2 and 5 year old - we CAREFULLY consider all our dining locations - even at Disney. Because it is not only unpleasant for other guests, it is also for us and our girls. Nothing says I won't try that again like being forced to sit at a resturaunt when you are exhausted and over stimulated!!! That being said I am guilty of cancelling ressies late if our girls are just not in a good mood.

I am LOVING your TR and look forward to your updates!!!

We have new neighbors next door in the studio portion of what would be this two bedroom lock off. I wouldn't have noticed, but they moved in last evening while we were sitting here waiting to leave for our dinner reservations. We were both typing away on our computers when we heard someone open the connecting door on the studio side of the unit. Then they started to turn the knob on our side, and the door actually started to open! It startled me, and I quickly jumped up and pushed it shut and locked it. I thought perhaps it was kids, but this morning while I was sitting here posting , I looked up and an old man was leaning over the railing of the balcony next door looking in our living room window at me.

Who does that kind of stuff on vacation??? Things don't bother me much, but I have to admit I'm a bit wierded out by that. The door thing alone woujld have been forgotten by me, and I didn't think it important enough to mention here when I was posting last night, but combined with what happened this morning just makes me a bit uncomfortable.

What is up with that? I wonder if they are just curious as to what your unit looks like. :confused3 Both the door handle and the looking over the balcony thing would really bother me. Then everytime I walked into the living room I would constantly be worried that someone was trying to watch me through all of those gorgeous windows and blinds. And I like to leave them open during the day to let in all of the Florida sun. :scared: Sorry you have to deal with that! How long are you staying? Maybe they will only be there for a couple of days....wishful thinking....

Wow!! Note to self-next time we're in a lock-off, make sure the door is LOCKED!

We, too, have been many times (close to 10) in May, and never encountered such hot weather. The other night, when I hitched a ride on a golf cart from a CM, he told me that it's about 10 degrees warmer than normal this week. Is it time to go back yet? Diane, the Mud Slides at Gurgling Suitcase are delicious (at least the ones with ice cream).

Day 2:
We took advantage of the low crowds and did a couple of games of Buzz Lightyear just walking right on. The first game we got “stuck” with our car in the volcano room and discovered a “trick”. If you hit the target at the top of the volcano, it is worth 100,000 points!
QUOTE]

I mentioned this to my kids and they both said "Dah, we knew that already". Well, hello, pass this kind of info along please!!! :laughing:

Buzz Lightyear tip: In the first room, just before you enter the Volcano room. Look up. There is a target on the ceiling worth 100,000 points. I usually try to hit it two or three times before I start aiming at the volcano. Also, don't forget about the back of the robot's hand. That is also 100,000 points.

And don't forget about the lowest target under Zurg the first time you see him.

When you are in the tunnel room, aim at the spaceship that is darting around. You can get points there, too.

I'm loving your trip report, Diane. It sounds kind of like us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter