Diabetic filled cupcakes and filling for other cupcakes?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by tigercat, Dec 12, 2012.

1. mhsjax

mhsjax DIS Veteran

Good idea. They will enjoy a "real" cupcake even though maybe less of it, over one that has been altered to make it "better for them" Nice of you to check though.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tigercat

tigercat <font color=magenta>Cook, clean and foot massage.

I like the advice I am getting. If we were to use sweeteners I would have to go out and buy it just for this one thing as we don't use them at all. They give me migraines. I think we will go with the small cupcakes so that they can enjoy a taste but not a hugh amount. I am learning a lot more about diabetics which is always a good thing. I now know where I can go to get help if I ever need it for this.
    Because I have to eat wheat free, I know what it is like to go somewhere and there is nothing for me to eat. I like to make sure that as many people as possible can eat what I make. My 2 granddaughters are allergic to milk so I make sure there are things for them as well, so I am used to special diets.
    tigercat

4. monkeybug

monkeybug <font color=blue>I feel safer when I know where th

One thing you can do to make them slightly more diabetic friendly is add a protein. Maybe a nut based filling or frosting? Maybe an extra egg in the batter? Protein slows down the way our bodies process sugar, and most diabetics are advised to always eat carbs along with protein.
    I'm sure regular cupcakes will be just fine though.

5. mhsjax

mhsjax DIS Veteran

YOu are so sweet for trying, but yeah, the sweeteners aren't really goin to do a thing. They are getting carbs anyway. I learned this with Splenda Brown sugar blend, my DD likes it on her oatmeal and I though I would cut carbs. WRONG. Splenda blend=2 g per .5 teaspoon. Brown sugar 4g of carbs per tsp. Really? Now regular splenda wouldn't have any carbs and neither would sweet n low, but as a few of us have stated, they'er getting the carbs anyway, go ahead and make it yummy.

OH and what monkeybug said is true, if you can add in a protein it will slow down the sugar effect of the glucose level.