DH leaving for Iraq in two weeks

Alice28

DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>I'm Doombah Fricki
I posted this awhile back both here & on the community boards, but my DH was mobilized with the OR Nat'l Guard in August. He was in Ft. Bliss, TX from Aug 18- Dec 20th, came home for two weeks and now is in Ft. Polk, LA for his final training. The last few months have been hard, but not as hard as I know this next YEAR will be, with him being in harm's way. His battalion still doesn't know their mission- he is a Cavalry Scout with the Army (F Troop, 82 Cavalry if you want to keep a look out for his battalion when he's over there). He will arrive in Kuwait somewhere around the 23rd-25th of this month, and in Iraq a couple weeks after that.

Please just keep him in your thoughts and prayers, along with all our other soldiers! Our third child, a girl, is due shortly after he gets into Iraq (doctors are suggestion an induction around March 10 or so due to previous baby's size). He cannot come home for it because of the timing, but will get 3 weeks vs. 2 weeks off in the summer when he comes home on leave. We have two boys, ages 7 and 3 1/2.

Thanks! :D

Alice :grouphug: I'll pray for him and I will pray for you. Be strong. My nephew (22) a marine will be in Iraq sometime this summer. I know it's a very difficult moment for you. All we can do is pray and support our dedicated troops. Sigh.. "May the Lord keep them safe and comfort them. Please bring peace on this earth."

Telly

Alice ~

Will certainly keep you, DH, your kids and new baby in my positive thoughts and prayers for all the sacrifices you make for our country. I know how it is to think of loved ones in harm's way and we all need think positive, pray, and keep the faith, as they do their job protecting our great country.

Soon you will have a new little baby girl to nurture, along with your boys, who will bring you much happiness. Our DD just had her third in Dec., a darling lil boy :D, who like you, had to be induced due to the size of DD's second. Everything went great and God blessed her with a healthy 8lb.5oz. baby, w/easy and short labor this time. Hang in there and wish you love and prayers to stay strong. Pls keep us updated. X0's to all and God Bless ^i^.

:grouphug: Sandie

To your family from mine Thank you. Such a sacrifice that a whole family makes for us US citizens & in many cases the world. Thank you. And your whole family not just your DH will be in every prayer with all the other families we pray for.
God Bless.

I will keep your dh in my thoughts and prayers, and your whole family. God bless you.

good luck be safe and thank you!!!

:grouphug: :grouphug: You will be in our prayers. Our DS is there now. Best wishes on your new baby and I hope that the year will pass quickly for you and your DH will be home with you and your family.

My prayers are with your husband, his fellow soldiers and your family!!

Do you know about operationspecialdelivery.com? It is a program that provides free doulas for those with a deployed spouse. We used them and it was a wonderful experience (things changed at the last moment & DH didn't leave until after she was born--we still got to use them). I assume it is open to those w/NG husbands as well.

Dopeygirl said:
My prayers are with your husband, his fellow soldiers and your family!!

Do you know about operationspecialdelivery.com? It is a program that provides free doulas for those with a deployed spouse. We used them and it was a wonderful experience (things changed at the last moment & DH didn't leave until after she was born--we still got to use them). I assume it is open to those w/NG husbands as well.

Interesting- I haven't heard of that. My mom will be there, and I consider her my own personal doula or RN for that matter; she was a L and D nurse for over 30 years. (also involved in pre-term labor prevention, nurse manager, etc---she knows her obstetrics and birthing!). Thanks though, and I'm still going to look into it.

((hugs)) to you!! I know first hand what a difficult time this is for you and your family.

Thank you goes out to your dh. Because of soldiers like him getting ready to go over, my dh can prepare to come home, for that I will be forever grateful.

We are here for you whenever you need us!

I know how difficult this is! Just focus on your pregnancy and look forward to his leave this summer. Start thinking of and working on care packages-pictures of you "growing" and of your other children will mean the world to him.
BTW-DH was active duty during Desert Storm and was in a Cav unit-so I know a lot about the cavalry. And I was pregnant with our first during this time. He talked to me via phone before, during and after delivery and this was almost 14 years ago. Communication to the area has greatly improved. I can now see, hear and chat with DH several times a day. You can probably have a picture e-mailed to him moments after the birth. Maybe even a short video clip of your daughter.
Keep us posted, we are all in this together. All we can do is support them and pray.

edited to add...do NOT watch the news. I know sometimes it happens or you see a headline. But do NOT turn on the news for fun at 6:30! DH just tells me to listen to him. He can dispute SO many of the articles I have sent him about his "area"!

Auggietina said:
((hugs)) to you!! I know first hand what a difficult time this is for you and your family.

Thank you goes out to your dh. Because of soldiers like him getting ready to go over, my dh can prepare to come home, for that I will be forever grateful.

We are here for you whenever you need us!

I'm glad that your DH is coming home soon! I know someday I will be saying that and I can't wait for that day.

BibbidiBobbidiBOO said:
I know how difficult this is! Just focus on your pregnancy and look forward to his leave this summer. Start thinking of and working on care packages-pictures of you "growing" and of your other children will mean the world to him.
BTW-DH was active duty during Desert Storm and was in a Cav unit-so I know a lot about the cavalry. And I was pregnant with our first during this time. He talked to me via phone before, during and after delivery and this was almost 14 years ago. Communication to the area has greatly improved. I can now see, hear and chat with DH several times a day. You can probably have a picture e-mailed to him moments after the birth. Maybe even a short video clip of your daughter.
Keep us posted, we are all in this together. All we can do is support them and pray.

Yes, I'm hoping that he will be available to talk on the phone on birth day; since he's not over there yet, and he doesn't even know their mission yet, we aren't sure. I am most likely going to be induced, so hopefully I can give him the induction date a week or two ahead of time, so he will know when to expect a phone call from me or the Red Cross to let him know she's on her way. And I plan on having both mine and my mom's digital cameras there at birth, so mom can go home after she's born and email him several pictures, and like you said, a short video clip. I'm sure a video clip of our two sons oooing and aaahing over their new sister will be a good one to send too; they are both very, very excited about the new baby. He does have a laptop, and we're getting webcams here shortly (1,000 were donated to the OR Nat'l Guard, but my family coordinator hasn't snagged one for me yet). How do they get to a phone---take turns on satellite phones? We bought several int'l phone cards for him already.

DH has his own phones (regular and cell) and laptop-just part of his job. They even gave him the webcam. :blush: We IM a lot too. It is about the only "down" time the man takes!
BUT, each camp has a MWR building or tent with lots of phones and computers for anyone to use!!! Some camps can only utilize certain phone cards, so you may not want to get too many until you know for sure if they work at his camp. I know some at DH's camp purchased cell phones, they take little cards you purchase and put in them. DH was issued one and it works a little different.

BibbidiBobbidiBOO said:
DH has his own phones (regular and cell) and laptop-just part of his job. They even gave him the webcam. :blush: We IM a lot too. It is about the only "down" time the man takes!
BUT, each camp has a MWR building or tent with lots of phones and computers for anyone to use!!! Some camps can only utilize certain phone cards, so you may not want to get too many until you know for sure if they work at his camp. I know some at DH's camp purchased cell phones, they take little cards you purchase and put in them. DH was issued one and it works a little different.

DH has a Verizon cell phone now, but I assume it will not work over there. Or do some USA cell phones work over there????? I've heard that about the phone cards- we just bought (well, actually they were gifts so we didn't pay anything) two int'l phone cards to start. Thanks for the info!

Alice28 said:
DH has a Verizon cell phone now, but I assume it will not work over there. Or do some USA cell phones work over there????? I've heard that about the phone cards- we just bought (well, actually they were gifts so we didn't pay anything) two int'l phone cards to start. Thanks for the info!

DH only uses the int'l AT&T card. I just keep re-filling the one with minutes. When he was a remote camp he had to buy his card there - but it was CHEAP really cheap to call home. It was so much safer there too, wish he could have stayed longer.

I am pretty sure that everyone I know that has gotten a cell phone they have bought there. When he is in Kuwait he should check around with soldiers leaving to see if they are selling their cell phone. I am pretty sure that is how a lot of the guys got theirs. That and at the airport.
DH has a laptop and we IM everyday. He has internet in his room so I talk to him when he gets up and before he goes to bed. Its the best thing!!
Yes he is due home soon -sooner than my countdown but I'm afraid to change it so I don't jinx it!

He would NOT want to use his verizon phone over there. It has to be a special phone first of all (can't remember what it is called-but is international) to even work, and it is very expensive per minute should he actually have the right phone.
It depends on where he is going as to where he could/should get a cell. Many do sell them as they leave, but some sold in Kuwait only work into the southern part of Iraq. I think those up north need to get up there?? DH actually had a different (issued) cell phone when he was in Baghdad.
And their are still areas where cells do not work. Some of the camps DH communicates with only have DSN phones.
I should say that many over there are not as fortunate as DH and I (and Sue and her DH). Being a logistics officer, DH's job revolves around communication! I am very thankful for this.
Good luck, and if you find out where your DH is going you can PM me and I will let you know if I am familiar with the area! I can always ask DH what he knows too.

Yep, they secured the date- they fly to Kuwait on Tuesday, the 25th. He said he expects to be in Iraq around mid-Feb. I'm scared, but at least it will "Begin" after all these months of training (5!!).

The good news is the military just gave everyone an increase in their housing allowance and something else...I forget, but it's an extra $200 a month for us. And the Army f-i-n-a-l-l-y submitted DH's promotion paperwork. The Guard has always just been a one weekend a month thing; nothing he has made a career out of, but he did go to NCO school while in the Marine Corps, but the Army did not recognize that for whatever reason up until about 7 months ago (right before he got his mob. papers). So, he called yesterday and said the papers are signed and submitted- he will be going from an E-5 to an E-6 and now a Staff Sgt. That means an extra $600++ a month for us, plus the hazard pay when he gets in country. He will actually now be making about $900 more a month than his civilian job. I plan on paying down/off our credit cards so we can buy the new Subaru Tribeca when he comes home! At least SOMETHING good has come out of this whole scenario. (As long as he comes home!!!!!!!!!).....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter