DH just had quadruple bypass surgery

WinchesterVol

DIS Veteran
My DH (42) just had quadruple bypass surgery May 11. Our trip is scheduled in mid October. Will he be able to ride any of the rides? He is good shape, watches what he eats, and is physically active. His heart condition is hereditary. The doctors have all told us he was doomed at birth.

Has anyone on here ever gone through this and was able to go back to doing things like riding rides at Disney?

My mom had it years ago and rides many things just fine, but she has never been one for roller coasters. I think the main thing to worry about would be energy levels. I'd definitely consider an ecv with a shade. Everyone is different, but my mom would get fatigued and overheated very easily the first year after the surgery. Be sure air conditioning and lots of breaks are in the plans. Hopefully his dr will clear him for a good walking regimen at least a month before you go so you can figure out what he's up for.

My mom had it when she was 51 and is 63 now. She walks Disneyland all the time, even with back problems. We are planning on an ecv for her trip, but for her back, not her heart. If it were within the first year of her surgery, when fatigue was an issue, I'd spare us all and go with the ecv. Heat and exercise together are very hard on the heart.

My dad had open heart surgery 6 weeks before we went to Disney 15 years ago. He walked all of MK and HS and rode on the non thrill rides. Today he will be 77 next week has had 6 heart attacks and 7 stents and rides all the rides even the thrill.

We live 8 miles from Disney in the fall and winter months and my father has had a heart attack and stent put in while there. He goes to Southlake Hospital.

Have a great vacation!

There are quite a few rides that have warnings, but every person is different. Really, he needs to talk to his doctor about specific issues and concerns.

Code:
My DH (42) just had quadruple bypass surgery May 11. Our trip is scheduled in mid October. Will he be able to ride any of the rides? He is good shape, watches what he eats, and is physically active. His heart condition is hereditary. The doctors have all told us he was doomed at birth.

Has anyone on here ever gone through this and was able to go back to doing things like riding rides at Disney?

My DH had this surgery on Feb. 27th (he's 69 years old) Less then 3 weeks after the surgery he was walking around Epcot, not the entire Park ofcourse but short walks.
The rides you will have to ask your doctor about, everybody is different. I'm guessing your DH is so young he should be fine, but always check with the doctor first.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

My DH had quintuple bypass in January 2008. He was 57 at the time. I remember he was in a lot of pain for several weeks. We went to Disney in September that year. He didn't do any rides that time - even though he wasn't in any pain it was more because we wanted to be cautious. He did do the "soft" rides as he calls it (Pirates, Jungle Ride...etc.) No roller coasters (he did those a year later when we went!)

Talk to your husband's doctor and see what he/she says. And see how your husband feels once he's at the parks. Just take your time in the parks and maybe even get a scooter for your DH to use (so that he doesn't try to over do it, especially if it is hot).

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

PS: we just got back today from our 5-night stay at WDW. I met a man who had open-heart surgery in February. He said he was taking it easy and just enjoying being at Disney.

Thank you for all of the responses. We go back to see the cardiologist mid-June and he's going to talk to her about Disney then. He has been doing really good. He is having problems sleeping (getting comfy). He's a side/stomach sleeper and is not sleeping very well on his back. We've tried propping him up in the bed, using a body pillow, in the lazy boy, and on the couch but he just can't get comfortable. I ready somewhere where it may take 4 weeks to be able to side/stomach sleep. He's a little over half-way there if that's the case. If that's the only problem he will have then he is blessed!

If you want to look at a list of attractions with warnings, post 23 on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has a list plus a bit of information about what the attraction is like.
I would not use that to chose what he should not ride, but it would be a good place to start a discussion with his doctors.
Different people are quite variable, so what one doctor says is OK for one patient may be very different than the recommendations for another patient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter