Devastated -- Scotland trip canceled

OhhBother

DIS Veteran
Got a call today that ABD has canceled our May 26 Scotland trip due to lack of interest. We were told the only alternative date available to us would be June 6, and we can't make that work. So we're canceling this trip of a lifetime -- which was my husband's Christmas gift.

Our consolation price is a 12-night British Isles cruise that includes multiple stops in Scotland. I scrambled this evening and found that itinerary. Fortunately, we'd booked fully refundable airfare and will be able to change our travel dates with minimal penalty.

Still, this sucks. I booked this trip last May and spent months planning a Christmas surprise for my husband. He was thrilled with his gift. And now, just four months before we were supposed to leave on a once-in-a-lifetime adventure, it's gone.

I love Disney. Always have, always will. But I'm thoroughly disenchanted by this turn of events. I was really looking forward to experiencing an ABD trip. Now, I have no interest in trying again. It's too painful to plan and dream -- and then have your trip taken away.

I'm so sorry. Strange that your May date is listed at the same price as all the other dates, which is at least $1000 more than the original price. It appears that ABD's pricing strategy backfired this time. Enjoy your cruise! I'm sure it will be a great trip too.

I am SO sorry to hear this. I had one of my ABD's canceled a few years back after they'd over-expanded (right when the economy tanked), so I have an idea of what you're going through. It's definitely the one downside to booking with ABD.

Considering how popular that trip is, and how many of the dates supposedly sold out (they even had to add extra dates), I'm really surprised this one got canceled.

I'm really glad you were able to find such a nice substitute vacation. I hope it's wonderful.

Even though you say you can change your tickets with minimum penalty, I'd still talk to ABD about covering those penalties. This is their fault, and I found when they canceled my ABD, they were very accommodating about covering all the costs. Now, I switched to a different trip, but it cost a fortune to change my tickets (which I did not book through ABD) and ABD covered the entire cost. I would think that's the least they could do.

Sayhello

Very sorry to hear that!! We were considering that time of year!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

That's a bummer! I know I am an early planner and would have a lot of scrambling to do if there was a cancellation! There are a few tour companies who guarantee the departure...I have so many brochures here, I can't remember who? May is early for Scotland, and it's tricky to fill these trips before school is out, and the weather is still chilly. Few people will pull their kids out of school in May because every state has testing programs now, right down to 2 nd and 3 rd graders:( I would have thought like BoBo, that they would have priced this one right, offered " kids free in the room" for adults with homeschoolers, etc as they have done in the past.
Enjoy your cruise, what a lovely surprise for your husband!

familygoboston said:
That's a bummer! I know I am an early planner and would have a lot of scrambling to do if there was a cancellation! There are a few tour companies who guarantee the departure...I have so many brochures here, I can't remember who? May is early for Scotland, and it's tricky to fill these trips before school is out, and the weather is still chilly. Few people will pull their kids out of school in May because every state has testing programs now, right down to 2 nd and 3 rd graders:( I would have thought like BoBo, that they would have priced this one right, offered " kids free in the room" for adults with homeschoolers, etc as they have done in the past.
Enjoy your cruise, what a lovely surprise for your husband!

And we were thinking of this particular time BECAUSE most kids are still in school! Don't get me wrong, I love children, have one, teach music to 200. ;-). But we really enjoyed our London / Paris trip last year at that time with our 18 year old and only 2 other home-schooled children.

Doesnt it seem too soon to cancel the trip though? We booked last year for May in March and our group was 19. (2 were added as trainees and 1 from corporate). I am just wondering if something else caused this particular tour to be cancelled? Maybe as a brand new tour, there are some more things to iron out? Just a thought...?

And we were thinking of this particular time BECAUSE most kids are still in school! Don't get me wrong, I love children, have one, teach music to 200. ;-). But we really enjoyed our London / Paris trip last year at that time with our 18 year old and only 2 other home-schooled children.

Doesnt it seem too soon to cancel the trip though? We booked last year for May in March and our group was 19. (2 were added as trainees and 1 from corporate). I am just wondering if something else caused this particular tour to be cancelled? Maybe as a brand new tour, there are some more things to iron out? Just a thought...?

They like to give people plenty of time to change their plans. I'm sure it's a hard choice, when to do something like that. My 2009 Canadian Rockies trip was in September, and they cancelled it in February. I was told only 3 people had signed up. I imagine it's a combination of how many people have signed up, how many people have made inquiries about a trip, etc. Final payment for a May trip will be some time in February. I don't think January is too early for a trip in May. But that's just me. :confused3

I've had 2 of my trips go with 14 and 15 people, so it would need to be *really* undersold for them to have cancelled it. I really do think it's the fact that it's right before school is out for most areas.

Sayhello

Our June 5, 2009 Discover Down Under trip was cancelled on January 6. I'm glad ABD cancelled it early because it gave me plenty of time to decide on a different itinerary and to still get decent airfare to a different location. I was just about to book our flight to Australia when the cancellation happened, so it saved me the hassle of cancelling the flight, although I know ABD would have assisted me with that. As I recall there were only 5 or 6 people booked when it was cancelled. Our 2011 SWS trip went with only 16 guests.

So sorry to hear about the cancellation. We signed up the first day for the ABD Scotland, and I would be so disappointed if this happened to us, so I can commiserate. As SayHello said, I'm very surprised by the cancellation given how popular the trips seem to be. The prices have risen dramatically. I'm surprised they didn't try to lower the price first before canceling. Maybe they didn't want to start a precedent--but still strange.

P.S. Forgot to mention that I went on a 12 day British Isles trip with a university alumni group, and it was one of the best trips I've ever been on (including DCL cruises and ABD). We were able to land on St. Kilda, which was a once in a lifetime experience. I hope this ends up working out to be a blessing in disguise. :)

Why don't you keep your airline tickets and plan a trip on your own? You speak the language and it's a very easy country to travel in.

....Well maybe a little.......:lmao::lmao:;)

LOL! Yes, this is true! When we visited years ago, I got an awful cold and we went to look for cold medicine at a little shopping center in Edinburgh, at one of the first underground "malls" at the time, with lots of long hallways. We asked at a shop where to find the "chemist" for cold medicine (we even knew to ask for the chemist!) and the very kind lady told us where to go. DH and I walked away and asked each other "did you understand that?" "NOPE". So we went to the next shop and asked again. This time we walked away and just laughed...somehow they were smart enough to understand our question but we were not smart enough to understand the answer!:lmao:

Finally we just wandered until we found it! You would be fine, any "language" barrier on our part is made up by the kindness of the Scots!:thumbsup2

did they give a reason for the cancelation. I find it interesting that they cancel and no penalty to them but even if you tried to cancel six months ahead of time you lose your deposit even if they fill your spot .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter