Desserts for Type 1 Diabetics.

ranthony

DIS Veteran
I've just invited my brother along for our trip in March. He just lost his job and can use a diversion.

He is a Type 1 diabetic and I was wondering if there were options for him for desserts that may not be listed on the standard menus? He's not really a dessert type of person (obviously) but we will be on the DP so I know we'll be offered desserts when we dine. I'd like for him to be able to have a choice of something if he decides he wants dessert.

Should I call ahead to the restaurants and inform them or do I call MS and have it noted on the ADRs?

What, if anything, should I be doing?

I have both diabetic & hypertension & i also like sweets so there is one receipe i would like you to make
Diabetic Dessert Recipe: Raspberry Mousse
This diabetic dessert will melt in your mouth, taking the smooth texture of mousse and putting a hint of raspberry that will tantalize your taste buds with fruity sweetness. In order to make this diabetic dessert, you'll need the following ingredients:

* 2/3 c. Strawberry Fanciful
* 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
* 2 egg whites
* 1/2 c. whipping cream

Add cream of tartar to egg whites, beat until stiff, but not dry. Fold into Strawberry Fanciful. Fold the whipped cream into the fruit mixture. Chill before serving or freeze for frozen mousse. Use any of the Fanciful flavors for variation: Strawberry, blueberry, orange pineapple, pineapple berry or peach.

Hello from another type I :wave2:

You do not have to make notes on the reservations unless you feel better doing so, I never do. If you need detailed information about things on a buffet or the menu, you can ask your server who will alert the kitchen to your problems, but most adult type Is like us probably know more about what we should and shouldn't eat than the chef will.

In most cases a TS restaurant will have an NSA dessert option on the menu, and most will bring a fruit plate or something similar when asked. All buffets will have at least one if not two NSA options available as well. CS options are much more limited, but I usually let my travelmate have my 'regular' dessert from them for later and I get one of his snack credits for myself. :rotfl:

Also, many nights after walking around all day, it suits me to eat a lower-carb dinner (avoiding pastas and potatoes and such) and go ahead and have the 'regular' dessert. This is especially true on evening EMH nights when I know we'll be in the park long after dinner and still be needing fuel to walk around.

HTH :)

I have type II and typically if we've been out all day (like we would be at Disney) we'll eat a dessert or share one. Somtimes we take an extra pill or something...keep in mind this isn't ALL the time. If there's something that's sugar free, we're ALL over it :)

usually I am to full to eat desserts but if fruit is available I would have that. If I didnt add up enough carbs during my meal I will have a small helping of the real thing. LIKE the apple strudal and vanilla sauce at Biergarten.
He will probably walk off alot of the carbs and will need to have plenty of fluids around which I am sure he will do.
at TS restaurants just ask your server

Most restaurants will come up with some sort of No Sugar Added dessert for you, but they won't always be very good. You'll see the same NSA pre-packaged brownie over and over again, possibly with some sugar free/fat free vaniilla ice cream on the side.

One notable exception is Le Cellier (assuming nothing's changed since our trip in May 08), which has a wonderful NSA dessert that is not listed on the menu. It's a citrus mousse, and it's my Type 1 hubby's favorite NSA dessert ever. Make sure you ask for it when you first order your meal, though, because it takes a little extra time. I think it may be frozen, and they have to let it thaw.

Also, in CS, Kringla bakery in Norway has a wonderful NSA chocolate mousse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter