Demand pricing. WSJ article any thoughts

And I think the poster you were quoting was implying that increased park benefits based on your resort level is a bad idea. Paying a premium for your room does get you something extra - a premium room. Everyone pays the same for park tickets and so should be eligible for the same experience with that ticket. WDW does have a history of differentiating between on and offsite guest ticket perks (EMH, FP booking times), but, up to this point has not really done so between different resort levels of onsite guests, outside of CL benefits. While we stay deluxe via rented DVC points and so would likely benefit from tiered FP levels, I hope they don't decide to go this route.
I'm not sure they were. In a previous post they seem to agree that a tiered ticket price based on time of year was acceptable so I can see them agreeing with FP tiering. But we'll let them clear it up. And this post isn't about FPs so lets not get all DIS and take this off topic ;)

I am against the tiered ticket pricing based on time of the year travel. Its a way to squeeze more money out of people, most of whom are families who can only travel when school is out. Its not like they are going to lower the price during September. They'll simply increase the prices in the summer. MK will still be $105 a day in the off season. All while cutting back on free dining/room discounts which as a pp said was their way of attracting people during the slower times of the year.

I'm not sure they were. In a previous post they seem to agree that a tiered ticket price based on time of year was acceptable so I can see them agreeing with FP tiering. But we'll let them clear it up. And this post isn't about FPs so lets not get all DIS and take this off topic ;)

I am against the tiered ticket pricing based on time of the year travel. Its a way to squeeze more money out of people, most of whom are families who can only travel when school is out. Its not like they are going to lower the price during September. They'll simply increase the prices in the summer. MK will still be $105 a day in the off season. All while cutting back on free dining/room discounts which as a pp said was their way of attracting people during the slower times of the year.

Agreed on all points. :)

Really? My principal was really excited for me and signed my leave request before the school year even started. My kids' schools gave us no problems either. They just asked that I send in written documentation of the absence before we left.
Some of us get no personal days. As in zero. Not even unpaid.

I can't get a day off to save hundreds in airfare by flying out the Friday before a break, let alone a week or several days off for vacation. Hell, I need to get my son's oncology appt days approved :(

Disney is going to push every revenue button it can until people stop paying and their bottom line declines. Period. The only question will be whether the strategies they use result in Disney losing its luster. For me, pricing tickets based on time of year seems fine. Allowing on-site earlier access to reservations is fine. But going another step to differentiate the experience once you are in the park would probably go too far for me. Maybe allowing on-site one additional FP would be fine.

I will be interested to see how much the price decreases during value times versus the increase at peak times.

Here is one person who hopes it bites them in the butt! They have already cut my families ability to save by ending no expiration tickets. We can only go on short trips. Now this? You can take it to the bank that they will let value season tickets be current price. The rest will go straight up. Sorry Disney, the gouging has turned my stomach. Did anyone see parking will be 20 bucks a day now too?

And I think the poster you were quoting was implying that increased park benefits based on your resort level is a bad idea. Paying a premium for your room does get you something extra - a premium room. Everyone pays the same for park tickets and so should be eligible for the same experience with that ticket. WDW does have a history of differentiating between on and offsite guest ticket perks (EMH, FP booking times), but, up to this point has not really done so between different resort levels of onsite guests, outside of CL benefits. While we stay deluxe via rented DVC points and so would likely benefit from tiered FP levels, I hope they don't decide to go this route.

I think I'm the poster you're referring to. To clear it up, true, I don't have an objection to tiered theme park pricing based on the time of year.

I DO object to different quantities of FPs based on the resort. Currently, since park tickets cost the same no matter the on-site resort, I believe the park entitlements should remain equal. The higher cost of the deluxe hotels gets you a larger room, more numerous resort amenities, wider selection of on-site restaurants, perhaps a nicer atmosphere, etc. And that's all the higher hotel cost should get you, not additional in-park benefits.

However, I wouldn't have a problem with the proposal by the previous poster (Deluxe 10 FP, moderate 7, value 3) IF theme park tickets were priced accordingly. Although I'd limit it to D5, M4, V3. And published openly for all to see. Perhaps even being able to stay at a deluxe and take the value theme park admission, or stay at a value and buy a deluxe theme park admission, or whatever combination. In other words, extra FPs for sale for on-site resort guests.

Last edited:
Really? My principal was really excited for me and signed my leave request before the school year even started. My kids' schools gave us no problems either. They just asked that I send in written documentation of the absence before we left.
The last district I worked in, we only had 3 personal days/year and IIRC, they did not carry over year to year. We were not allowed to use them in conjunction with 3 days weekends or holidays. We were required to have a doctor's note if we used sick time.

I'm glad I'm not working there any more (for reasons more than their leave policy), but yeah, if I were still there we wouldn't be vacationing except at peak times.

Universal is already tiering according to stay level. The new value hotel at Universal, Cabana Bay Beach Resort does not get the Priority Line Pass that the three higher end hotels do. Guests at Cabana Bay can purchase the pass just like off site guests. They do get the one hour early access the same as the other three resorts.

My problem with it is it penalizes people that can only travel during those times; teachers and school-aged children in particular. There is a reason it is more crowded at those times, and Disney has already implemented strategies to increase attendance at their slow times. (Free dining, discounted room rates, etc.). Charging more for tickets during the "prime times" isn't going to change park attendance, it's just going to force the people that can only go at those times to pay more. They will still only be able to go during peak season; it's not as if suddenly their tickets when they are available to go will be $15 more so school will close in October so they can go to Disney when it's cheaper. So, I suppose they will do it, and they will increase their profits, but it isn't going to noticeably change their park attendance distribution.

I would counter that Off peak are currently being penalised.
Summer/peak visitors get significantly longer hours, more entertainment by way of things like F! Running twice a night, more characters, free events like Frozen summer of fun and less closures. One can easily see how it seems more fair to pay more to get more

I'm surprised it has taken them this long. Other theme parks have been doing it for years as has Disneyland Paris.

Fact of life the more popular things/times are the more companies can charge, it is what it is.

Some of us get no personal days. As in zero. Not even unpaid.

I can't get a day off to save hundreds in airfare by flying out the Friday before a break, let alone a week or several days off for vacation. Hell, I need to get my son's oncology appt days approved :(
:(

I would counter that Off peak are currently being penalised.
Summer/peak visitors get significantly longer hours, more entertainment by way of things like F! Running twice a night, more characters, free events like Frozen summer of fun and less closures. One can easily see how it seems more fair to pay more to get more

The extended hours/more shows are there because the parks are significantly more crowded during that time, thus limiting what you can do during the day. And you can't say things like Frozen summer of fun and less closures because you will start going down a slippery slope. Then I could argue that during F&W or Flower and Garden EP tickets should cost more, during SWW DHS tickets should cost more, oh Space Mountain is going to be down for a 9 month refurb well lets reduce MK tickets.

The extended hours/more shows are there because the parks are significantly more crowded during that time, thus limiting what you can do during the day. And you can't say things like Frozen summer of fun and less closures because you will start going down a slippery slope. Then I could argue that during F&W or Flower and Garden EP tickets should cost more, during SWW DHS tickets should cost more, oh Space Mountain is going to be down for a 9 month refurb well lets reduce MK tickets.

I totally agree with you and the other teacher posters. My wife is a teacher and is not allowed to take any time off during the school year as well and are stuck vacationing during peak times. It stinks that we may never be able to go to F&W again, but that's life. But to say people who travel during peak times are getting more for their money is incorrect. I hate traveling during peak times because you spend most of the day waiting in 90 minute lines for nearly every ride, even the less popular. If you want to see a parade or show, you have to sit in the same spot from anywhere between a half to a full hour prior just so you can get close enough to actually SEE the event. The crowds are often so overwhelming for both kids and adults that it can severely impact the enjoyment of the trip. Keeping the parks open for longer hours looks good on paper, but not many 4 year olds can take staying up to 1 or 2 in the morning every night just so they can go on Peter Pan once.

I think if Disney was serious about incentivizing non peak guests, they would look at DECREASING ticket pricing at those times and build upon the already established perks, rather than INCREASING pricing during peak hours. This is a simple b.s. sob story excuse for them to increase pricing and profits for their investors. Yes, they are a business and are entitled to their right to make a profit in a capitalist society but from a consumer's standpoint, I'm not sympathizing. Do I love Disney World? Absolutely. But if they continue to increase pricing many families, including mine, will simply no longer be able to afford the luxury of vacationing there. And I hope that does not come to fruition...

How is Disney supposed to control crowds? They need to reduce the number of people at the parks somehow.

This is definitely an issue. I empathize with people who can only go during peak season, but even at current prices it is much too crowded. As Bob Chapek says, they need to find a way to keep from bursting at the seams. Of course, they will try to maximize profit with any changes...

But the demand is so strong during peak season that I personally think it's a inferior product due to the crowd levels. If they don't increase prices, demand is only going to go up.

They know it is not going to change "distribution," it is an excuse to charge more and increase profit margins. It follows the past years's logic....
100% agree.

Most people who visit disney during the unholy summer months do so because their options are limited. Usually by child obligations or work obligations. so charging them more is NOT going to make those times less busy. it will make Disney more money.

That person sitting next to you on Tower of Terror could be staying at one of the new Poly bungalows or at a camp site at Fort Wilderness - you will both be screaming your heads off and having a blast! I would hate to have Disney do something where the distinction between resort guests is visible somehow (different ticket options, different "resort" lines, or different magic bands, whatever!).

Call me naive, but the beauty of Disney for me has always been seeing all types of people just smiling and laughing, regardless of status, economical background, or language spoken!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter