Delta seating

MinnieMO

If you can dream it, you can do it!
So my friend and I are flying into Mco in February and are getting ready to purchase tickets and I noticed that you can't select seats with delta like you can SW which sadly no longer flys out of our airport, its a four hr drive north to one that does SW but in February that can be bad so we are sticking with the local airport. Anyway I am paying for my ticket and her grandpa is buying hers so they will be purchased separately. Is there anyway to get our seats together without paying more? I've never booked with delta before we have always used SW.
TIA

So my friend and I are flying into Mco in February and are getting ready to purchase tickets and I noticed that you can't select seats with delta like you can SW which sadly no longer flys out of our airport, its a four hr drive north to one that does SW but in February that can be bad so we are sticking with the local airport. Anyway I am paying for my ticket and her grandpa is buying hers so they will be purchased separately. Is there anyway to get our seats together without paying more? I've never booked with delta before we have always used SW.
TIA

Are you buying a basic economy ticket with Delta? With those tickets, you cannot select seats in advance. You could pay more and move up to main cabin which allows you to select seats.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en...perience/main-cabin/compare-seat-options.html

I'm confused about your SW comment. SW does not have any seat selections.

TIA
First, SW doesn't allow to select seats at booking, so I don't know where you're getting that.
Second, Delta changed, I think within the last year, to charging for certain seat selection. If I remember correctly, you have the option when booking of paying more. If you don't want to, then you take your chances.

Are you sure you are thinking of SW? As DebbieB said, they don't offer seat selections. You are given a boarding group and then you pick any open seat that is available when you get on the plane.

I'm doubly confused, because I fly Delta almost exclusively and have never had any issue selecting seats during booking. You might have to pay more for certain seats - those in prime locations, extra legroom, etc. Is is possible that the general seats are just all booked right now?

ETA: I see that with economy tickets that seating is assigned later. I've never even had that as an option - I have only booked main cabin or above.

I'm doubly confused, because I fly Delta almost exclusively and have never had any issue selecting seats during booking. You might have to pay more for certain seats - those in prime locations, extra legroom, etc. Is is possible that the general seats are just all booked right now?

ETA: I see that with economy tickets that seating is assigned later. I've never even had that as an option - I have only booked main cabin or above.

Now I'm triply confused!! I just booked flights home for Christmas on Delta and we chose seats at no extra charge. I'm going to go to my reservation and see if the seats are there, because now I am truly confused if people are saying they changed their policy.

Now I'm triply confused!! I just booked flights home for Christmas on Delta and we chose seats at no extra charge. I'm going to go to my reservation and see if the seats are there, because now I am truly confused if people are saying they changed their policy.

The Basic Economy fare is not available for all flights. Those are no advance seat selection, no changes permitted. Most likely you booked a main cabin ticket if you selected seats. If you go into the Delta website, you'll see the fare classifications at the top of the flight selection chart.

If you bought your tickets and selected your seats then you have them. The new fare class (don't call it a new policy please) doesn't affect you.

The only fare class you cannot select a seat on is the Basic Economy fares or "E". It will also be the cheapest fare by $20 and listed in a separate column. To even select it a huge warning pops up with a list of the restrictions and you must agree in order to proceed. Case in point...

20uevkz.jpg

- Last to Board and last to access overhead bins
- No seat assignment until check-in
- No refunds
- No ticket changes
- No upgrades

All of this info is listed clearly. It amazes me that in this day and age people still blindly accept agreements without reading it, then proceed to complain, when the information was clearly in front of you.

The only fare class you cannot select a seat on is the Basic Economy fares or "E". It will also be the cheapest fare by $20 and listed in a separate column. To even select it a huge warning pops up with a list of the restrictions and you must agree in order to proceed. Case in point...

20uevkz.jpg

- No refunds
- No ticket changes
- No upgrades

All of this info is listed clearly. It amazes me that in this day and age people still blindly accept agreements without reading it, then proceed to complain, when the information was clearly in front of you.

Clearly stated and at some point people will be saying unfair, they can't be separated from their snowflakes because it's the law!

Are you sure you are thinking of SW? As DebbieB said, they don't offer seat selections. You are given a boarding group and then you pick any open seat that is available when you get on the plane.
yes that's what I mean't, we could board at the same time or around the same time and not be asigned by the airline then we could sit together

I noticed that you can't select seats with delta like you can SW

You know, what you said is actually 100% true. You cannot select your seats on any other airline in the same way you select your seats on SW. As in...get on board, find seats, and sit in them. You are absolutely correct. (and that's exactly how I read it, especially since reading it in other ways (like thinking you thought you could choose them in advance) doesn't make any sense)

I didn't know about the new fare thing with Delta; good info from others, that's for sure. We've gotten hit with various airlines of not being assigned until 24 hours out, or one time at checkin, because of "last" minute booking or booking with miles. It always worked out, though.

Especially good info for DH, since his bosses generally want him to book the cheapest BUT the people in his dept traveling for work absolutely positively cannot check theirs carryon bags. So he'll have to make sure his bosses know that just b/c Delta might have the cheapest fare, if it's this one, it cannot be booked by their department.

Um...can you give her grampa your money for the ticket or can he give you the money for her ticket and then you can book both at the same time?

-snip-

- No refunds
- No ticket changes
- No upgrades

What amazes me is that people select this fare class just to save $20. It's so not worth it for what you're giving up, IMO.

The Basic Economy fare is not available for all flights. Those are no advance seat selection, no changes permitted. Most likely you booked a main cabin ticket if you selected seats. If you go into the Delta website, you'll see the fare classifications at the top of the flight selection chart.

20uevkz.jpg

- No refunds
- No ticket changes
- No upgrades

Delta has actually been incredibly upfront with this. It's very upfront and as pointed out you have to agree to restrictions Not sure how anyone can miss it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter