Deer Flies and Mosquitoes...What happened?

Dennyha

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a four day visit to The Fort. We had a great time with one exception...insects. At night, the mosquitoes were a terror, and speckled deer flies were a continual issue during the day. I must have killed two dozen deer flies over our visit. I was bitten several times, and my wife was bitten about 10 times. I always boast about how bugs are managed "naturally", and highly successfully at The Fort. It clearly was not true this visit. What changed?

They manage mosquitoes, or at least they used to.

There is no effective repellant nor bug killer for deer flies. However, because they are attracted to the color blue, FW in the past has put up huge blue balloons covered in sticky stuff in non-guest areas to try to catch them.

I'm getting really nervous they won't be gone by the end of next month as I have really bad reactions to the bites and once came down with a fever I had so many.

Now I just don't go to FW during the season, though I read a report that they also made an appearance at POFQ :( :( :(

I have yet to find away to go camping and avoid bugs. I guess you could stay inside your camper with the door shut.

We were there in mid April (first trip) and I still have red marks on the back of my legs where the flies bit me. Mosquitoes weren't as bad in April. I'm actually worried the marks are permanent bc they are still there. I personally never saw these weird flies before. Never heard they were attracted to blue either, good to know, we did have blue at our site, chairs are blue, our cooler is blue, etc.

Yikes! I hope they are gone before we head down in August. We did not have any bug problems when we were there 2 years ago.

They're usually gone by early to mid June. However, they like wet seasons, and from what I understand, it's been really wet this year and why the population seems to be so big.

I've never seen one outside of the April to early June period. And why I'll never go the FW again in those months.

We have been here almost 3 weeks and have been bitten every day. I know they are or at least have used chemicals at the fort as I had to take one of my dogs out around 4am and a truck passed and it was billowing vapor out of a machine in the back.

Last May we had no issues but we were there three weeks ago and it was annoying to say the least. Whatever bit me and DD left huge painful lumps and DD still has small red marks (same as tinkerdorabelle)too where they bit her.

Last edited:
We were just down at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, AL and the deer flies were pretty mean there as well. So it isn't just Mickey's place...

Are these insects still an issue there? My one daughter has very bad reactions to insect bites, so now I am worried about staying there s it could ruin the trip for her, if she get's bitten a ton.

The deer fly season usually ends in June. Last year in early June I was very careful and did not get a bite. My husband got one. That is considerably different than the year we went in late May and were eaten alive and had the welts to prove it.

I'm going a little later than you in hopes they're all gone by then, but I'll still be prepared with Deep Woods Off, alcohol, and my anti-itch spray.

We've been at the Fort since Saturday. No problem with any bugs at our site. Not sure if it's Disney Magic or previous campers sprayed the site and we're reaping the benefits!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter