Decorating Sugar Cookies

Discussion in 'The Creative Community' started by tchrrx, Jul 3, 2007.

1. tchrrx

tchrrx <font color=red>Blame it on the plastic cow I ment

Any suggestions on a good icing?

Also, I'd like to decorate with red, white, & blue for the 4th. What type of coloring should I buy to get a true blue & a true red?

2. NEDisneyFans

NEDisneyFans DIS Veteran

Buttercream icing tastes best, but tends to be a bit yellow (from the butter and real vanilla); Royal Icing is more "white."

Don't use liquid food coloring -- it thins out the icing too much!

You need a gel or paste coloring agent -- Wilton makes good ones, and they're available at Michael's or AC Moore and probably at your local craft store.

Personally, I've had the best response to sugar cookies with buttercream frosting and colored sugars -- to get deep colors you need to use quite a bit of the coloring agent and it can leave a funny taste (in my experience).

Good luck!

Alicia

3. clh2

clh2 <font color=green>I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my

We have a great "cake decorating and candy making" store in our area, so when I need perfect frosting colors, I usually just buy it there.:thumbsup2

4. ariel & eric

ariel & eric Mouseketeer

I make my own frosting for sugar cookies. No real recipe just use powdered sugar, a little butter, and a little milk and cream until you like the consistancy. I would start with 2 tbsp of butter, 2 cups of p. sugar and 1 tbsp of milk and go from there. Use immediately and it will harden in about an hour depending on the humidity.