decisions, decisions! (a couple of ?'s)

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by Shannon D, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Shannon D

Shannon D Mouseketeer

We are planning our first family trip to DL (and then onto Vegas) for sometime in late May 2002, so I do have plenty of time to plan.

However, I am having a tough time deciding which hotel I should book...GC or DLH. My boys are 8 and 6 and they think the pool at DLH looks really great (and I think the price tag is a bit more appealing!)

I've done some research, but I am still confused about a couple of things.

Does EVERY room at DLH have a balcony?
    Are the beds at DLH doubles or queens? I've read conflicting info.

Thanks for any help.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. TrlyScrumptious

TrlyScrumptious Mouseketeer

Our beds at the DLH were queens. We were on the 11th floor. Very few of the rooms at the DLH could be said to have a "balcony." They certainly are not something you can walk out onto. They are essentially a railing that protects you from falling out when you open the HUGE sliding glass doors. I believe there are a few rooms on the ends of the towers which have actual balconies, but I could be wrong about that. We loved the DLH! It's really fun, and the walk to the park is a good trade-off for those extra calories we were consuming each day, so we really enjoyed the short distances we trekked every day to and from!

4. Judy from Boise

Judy from Boise <font color=teal>Watch out – might take away your Moderator

Hi Shannon ! How's it going at the Clubhouse ? Good to hear from you !
    I don't have much to add.....I have heard the slide is better at DH, but the pool quieter at GC. ( But of course DL has it's own quiet pool;) )

5. Shannon D

Shannon D Mouseketeer

Hi!
    Thanks for the replies! Good to 'see' you again, Judy!
    Long time, no 'chat' (or post, or what have you!)
    ;)

So, I guess it is safe to assume that if I want to be assured of a balcony, I should probably go ahead and book GC?
    I guess I'll have to check and see what kinds of rates we get offered. Hubby now works for the airlines, so hoping we can get a great airline rate!

Thanks again for the info.

6. TrlyScrumptious

TrlyScrumptious Mouseketeer

I called the GCH yesterday. There is nowhere in the hotel from which you can see the fireworks at Disneyland. Not from any of the guest rooms, nor from the concierge lounge. If that's an important part of having a balcony, you might want to get one of the rooms on the end of the Sierra tower or the tower that has the lobby (can't remember the name!) at the DLH.

Our seven year-old was asleep by fireworks time every night, so we really enjoyed being able to watch them from our room at the DLH every night while he snoozed.

7. Shannon D

Shannon D Mouseketeer

wow, thanks for that info, TrlyScrumptious...that is good to know.

Actually, I was thinking of the balcony more in terms as just some extra space to 'chillout' ....I'm thinking the kids might be going to bed a bit earlier than we will those first couple of nights (of course, I'm so bad with jetlag, I probably will conk out before they do!)

:)

8. PixieDusting

PixieDusting The Red-headed Pixie!

If you want a balcony to "chill out" on, the GC is the way to go! We stayed there in May with a park view room which overlooked the Grizzly River Run. I loved sitting out there early in the morning and watching them start it up for the day. And during the day and evening it was fun to sit and people watch from there. The park view rooms that overlook Paradise Pier are awesome too! The "non view" room balconies in my opinion were dark and uninviting.

Oh, and we've stayed at the DL hotel as well. As a previous poster stated, the balconies there are dinky :-)

HTH