DECISION TIME! Why I'm prob going to pass on buying into DVC

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I were Quoted 20,400 recently for joining the DVD with 120 or 140. Why is there such a $ difference? We were going to get 2012 point also but my quote was $10,000 more with less points. This was at the beginning of April we got our quote.

were you looking direct? if so that..

Resale is much cheaper on nearly every resort.. some like AKV/VB/ SSR/OKW MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper.. some like BLT/BC not as much as a diff..

Missyrose said:
I've got to say, I worry about someone who lets strangers on the Internet talk them into a purchase this large.

Don't worry Missyrose. I'm a big boy and make my own decisions. I've done pretty well so far.

PCMama said:
I agree. That's what boards are for. I have like two friends I know IRL that are owners. I want feedback from a larger community so I look here. The op shouldn't be criticized for asking questions.

Thanks to you both. Some people understand the purpose of getting feedback from others...and some done. Thanks again.

OHH adding buying even a 25 point contract (even just to transfer in points.. though 50 would be easier to find no doubt) gets you 100$ off AP per person in household.. ( or more this yr due to prem passes) may not be perm .. true, but for now, it = more than your MF to take this option.. ( assuming you'de by APS anyway of coarse)

A family of 3 saves 300$.. and MF say on an SSR 50 point contract would be just over 300$ and include 50 points.. You'd be ahead at 25 points.. but also hard to find that small too.

I do like the strategy of buying a small contract to get into the DVC so you can get discounts on the AP & have access to the DVC reservation system...then transferring or renting points if you want to go to WDW more than once per year. Not sure if that is enough to get me to purchase but it does seem better than buying a bigger contract that would require me to rent out some of my points every year.

I've got to say, I worry about someone who lets strangers on the Internet talk them into a purchase this large.

It is the combination of pixie dust and kool-aid...it gets us all the time.

I changed my mind!

Originally, I said you should buy, however, I just noticed that you never stayed at a DVC resort before. This changes my mind. I would suggest in Sept when you are staying at AKV that you tour all DVC resorts. Once you have a first hand experience you will be able to make a better decision on many aspects of DVC (renting vs owning, which resort you may like best, how important is control over a reservation, etc). DVC is here to stay so you don't have to rush into anything.

Good luck in whatever you decide on doing....

a742246 said:
I changed my mind!

Originally, I said you should buy, however, I just noticed that you never stayed at a DVC resort before. This changes my mind. I would suggest in Sept when you are staying at AKV that you tour all DVC resorts. Once you have a first hand experience you will be able to make a better decision on many aspects of DVC (renting vs owning, which resort you may like best, how important is control over a reservation, etc). DVC is here to stay so you don't have to rush into anything.

Good luck in whatever you decide on doing....

I stayed at SSR a few years ago. It was very nice but I liked a couple moderates just as much. I'm hoping AKL blows me away this fall.

OOPS, missed that.... Anyway, take a good look at all the resorts in Sept.
My favorite is the EPCOT resorts, it has a completely different feel then the mods or SSR, OKW.

Can I just say I love these boards.... never get tired of varying input.

theguda said:
I really don't understand the "happiness/satisfaction" factor of owning DVC as some sort of benefit. What does owning DVC give you that renting doesn't? First off let me qualify that I DO feel a certain draw to owning DVC. There IS a tangible level of happiness that I get by thinking about being an owner. But when I look at the #'s it just seems like a bad financial move and I can't allow a fuzzy feeling to lead me into a bad decision.

So my question is this....why does owning DVC make you "happier" than just renting points. Here are some reasons I've been given by DVC owners:

1) Able to check room availability on your own. Yes, I do see this as a benefit but honestly, it's not a big one. I quickly found a reliable DVC owner to rent points from. I easily found her on Disboards. She checks availability for me and does it quickly. I've read countless other examples on disboards like this as well. So really...is being able to check rooms yourself THAT big of a deal when someone else can easily check for you?

2) Able to book 11 months at home resort. Yes, that's a big benefit but you can do the same thing by renting points from a person who has a home resort you're interested in visiting. I've already spoken to a confimed legitimate private seller whos home resort is BWV. I'm going to rent points from him this fall for my vacation next October. I didn't need to be a DVC member to book 11 months out.

3) Guaranteed to vacation at Disney. I've never owned DVC and I've been able to book every WDW vacation I've ever wanted...exactly how I wanted it. This year I'm renting points for the first time and got what I wanted. Being a DVC member won't give me the hotel or setup I want. I can get it by renting

4) Annual Pass. I've often heard people say if you go to WDW at least once a year then buying DVC is worth it. I assume part of the reason for this argument is having the ability to save on park passes by utilizing the AP, which costs a family of 4 about $1600. But let's say you only go to WDW one time per year. You can get 5 day hoppers for less than $1600. So the AP isn't a discount unless you go more than once.

5) Long term savings. Now this is the ONE benefit I can get behind, but I suspect a lot of people have themselves talked into savings that they really aren't going to see. I absolutely know if I go to WDW twice a year for the next 30 years...owning will save me $. But for me, and probably a lot of others even if they don't want to admit it...I won't go to WDW enough over the next 30 years to realize that savings. My vaction this year is gonna cost me about $3000. If I owned DVC and went twice it would cost me about $4800. So yes I'd "save" $1200 but I'm also spending $1800 more than I normally do because I'm taking 2 vacations instead of 1. If a person would take 2 trips a year regarless of owning or not...and they go twice a year for decades...yes, it will save them. That's not me though...and I bet it's not a lot of people who own DVC. $

Is there something I'm missing? Another benefit you get by owning DVC vs renting? If these are the majority of the benefits...they're not really benefits because you can get them without owning. After looking at the #'s for the past week I don't see any major benefit that I can get by owning...but I do see the large up front cost of owning as a major negative. It will take me 14 years to essentially "get my money back" by owning DVC. Given the fact that renting will give me almost everything an owner can get....I see renting periodically at a higher point cost as a much better financial decision than paying the large up front cost to own. If I were 25 years old and planned to go twice a year forever...then I'd own. But I'm 40 and go once a year and occasionaly twice. For someone like me it's a bad financial move and one I can avoid by renting and still enjoying almost all the benefits of owning.

If you read enough of my posts you will figure out that I am a no pixie dust kind of guy. So I wouldn't say something like the "happiness" factor as you misquoted me as saying. What I am saying is that there are intangible and tangible benefits to owning. Some are a function of the system and others are perks that can be changed or removed at any time. But they do exist, and some of them can't be described, only experienced. I will say this, I currently hold reservations for boardwalk view studios for three Food & Wine weekends and a standard studio at BLT for the first week of December. I will not be making all of these trips, but until my schedule becomes more clear I don't know which ones I can or cannot make. When I figure it out I will simply cancel the reservations I don't need and use my points elsewhere. That kind of flexibility can't be had by renting.

In closing, I'll say this. Reading the arguments you make above, you probably shouldn't buy DVC. It doesn't sound like you're that into it. I also think you're suffering from paralysis by analysis. I think you need to make a decision and stick to it. Finally, an analogy. You can save a ton of money on ketchup by collecting the squirt packets every time you go out to eat or visit a food court. But sometimes you're better off just paying for a bottle at the grocery store. Granted, DVC is one big bottle of ketchup, but the thinking applies here.

Good luck with whatever you decide and thanks for an entertaining chat. :)

ELMC said:
If you read enough of my posts you will figure out that I am a no pixie dust kind of guy. So I wouldn't say something like the "happiness" factor as you misquoted me as saying. What I am saying is that there are intangible and tangible benefits to owning. Some are a function of the system and others are perks that can be changed or removed at any time. But they do exist, and some of them can't be described, only experienced. I will say this, I currently hold reservations for boardwalk view studios for three Food & Wine weekends and a standard studio at BLT for the first week of December. I will not be making all of these trips, but until my schedule becomes more clear I don't know which ones I can or cannot make. When I figure it out I will simply cancel the reservations I don't need and use my points elsewhere. That kind of flexibility can't be had by renting.

In closing, I'll say this. Reading the arguments you make above, you probably shouldn't buy DVC. It doesn't sound like you're that into it. I also think you're suffering from paralysis by analysis. I think you need to make a decision and stick to it. Finally, an analogy. You can save a ton of money on ketchup by collecting the squirt packets every time you go out to eat or visit a food court. But sometimes you're better off just paying for a bottle at the grocery store. Granted, DVC is one big bottle of ketchup, but the thinking applies here.

Good luck with whatever you decide and thanks for an entertaining chat. :)

Thanks for the input and i have decided against buying. Im
convinced that someone who goes to WDW once a year or so (like myself) is making a bad financial move by owning. There is just far better ways to use that money. I'm kinda confused on benefits that can't be described, only experienced. That sounds like a warm fuzzy to me. Maybe we can hookup at F&W next year and talk about this thread. :) ill be renting my points for that in November.

Thanks again everyone for the comments and feedback. It has been interesting and enlightening! See you all at WDW!!!

@TheGuda Okay wait. Am I confusing threads or people?? Was it you that posted on the ROFR thread that you made an offer that was accepted on SSR??

It's late (or early depending on your perspective) and I am using the app.

@TheGuda Okay wait. Am I confusing threads or people?? Was it you that posted on the ROFR thread that you made an offer that was accepted on SSR??

It's late (or early depending on your perspective) and I am using the app.

You are not confused, that is what I posted about, and was ignored, OP is very analytical and wanting to make the right decision for himself but has no concern for the contract he is holding against the seller.

The OP started this thread before making an offer on a contract, but this thread has lived on...

That is exactly my point, thread was started the 15th, he continued to post on the 16th about why he wasn't going to buy, announced on another thread that he had an agreed deal, posted back here that he couldn't justify buying.

My entire point is why make an offer and tie up a contract that a seller is trying to sell?

I can see you are a logical thinker but I also detect a hint that you are searching for an excuse to buy-in. Unfortunately the financial sense does not materialize for some time. It's a pre-paid vacation plain and simple. We are buying-in to force us to take vacations because we most likely would not go otherwise. Our kids are very little, so we will have years of travel ahead of us and if we do not buy-in we would most likely go every 3 years or so and would end up in a Moderate hotel or off-property. This ensures us that we will have a nice room and great memories every year :)

I know its hard to put a value on emotion, but it's something to consider.

Bingo! There's your answer.

. at least I have found a willing/able/ party within 1-3 days so far every time I have been ready to buy since 2009. every yr.

I have used dis for all buy 1 yr and tug for 1 yr..

Can you please elaborate how you do this as you cannot request point transfers on the Dis. How do you find a willing able party within 1-3 days? When I wanted points transferred a couple of years ago, I had to go through the TSS. I think I may have gotten lucky as their emails currently do not show many transfer possiblities.

Totally agree with the post (and quote) above (Dave and Addie). If we didn't own DVC we would NEVER be getting a villa with kitchen, W/D, jetted tub, separate bedroom, etc....not on WDW property. We'd have to book moderates (for 5 of us in a room :eek:) or get a condo type room off property...and we'd only go every 3 years or so. For me, staying on WDW property and eating at WDW dining (at least 1 meal per day...we usually do 2 though) is all part of the Disney vacation. Now, flying in and taking the ME (not messing with our luggage until it's delivered to our villa...sweet!!!) is also part of the Disney vacation. DH is not as sold on the flying in part when he sees airfare costs...our Xmas trip is sending him over the edge :laughing:.

So, DVC just makes the Disney vacation magic for me...our 1st trip to WDW we drove and stayed off property in Kissimmee in a dive townhouse and we ate dinner at local Kissimmee restaurants (chains that we could eat at home...like Applebees) and packed sandwiches for lunch (blech). It really took from the magic a bit. Our second WDW trip, we stayed at POR and got the DP....ahhhhhh, that was MUCH better. But the third trip...2BR at BWV with DP....WOW!!!! And it's been WOW ever since!

lovin'fl said:
if we didn't own DVC we would NEVER be getting a villa with kitchen, W/D, jetted tub, separate bedroom, etc....not on WDW property. We'd have to book moderates (for 5 of us in a room :eek:) or get a condo type room off property...and we'd only go every 3 years or so. !

You understand that you could ALWAYS stay at a villa w a kitchen, W/D, jetted tub, separate bedrooms, etc WITHOUT being a DVC owner, right? All you have to do is rent the required points from someone. It's no different than renting a studio...just more points. I shudder to think of the money you're spending on DVC and only going to WDW once every 3 years. There is no doubt you'd be much better off financially renting points.

To be clear I'm not holding up a contract. I made an offer, the seller countered and what I posted as an agreed to offer was their counter. I could have accepted it anytime I wanted, but I decided not to.

Anyone who goes to WDW less than twice a year and owns DVC is making a bad financial choice. Yes there are other factors to consider but for me, I'm not going to let those other factors lead me to a bad financial choice. Studio, 2 bedroom villa, etc...it doesn't matter what kind of room you select or which resort you choose. Renting points to stay in those rooms is a far better use of money then buying into DVC....unless you're going to WDW multiple times a year.

Correct.

To add to this, you can transfer points either into or out of your account (not both) once per UY.

This rule can bite you in the butt too. I transferred some points to an owner in November 2012 and the transfer was rejected. Why? Because the person who transferred points to the owner in 2011 transferred 2012 UY points I instead of 2011 points so the 2011 transfer was not used and the 2012 transfer was used instead. Since my points were 2012 UY points he could not take another transfer. The lesson is that a yearly transfer is not as straight forward and easy as it may seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter