December in WDW: How Cold Are We Talking About?

DVC1991

Adventure is Out There
I've heard a lot of advice about packing layers and some heavier clothing for December in WDW. Obviously we're planning on bringing this type of stuff with us, but how cold are we really talking about? I'm not sure what "cold" is and I'm sure it depends on where you are traveling from. We'll be coming from NY, so our typical temperatures at that point are in the 20s and 30s during the day. And lots of snow :P which we are obviously looking forward to taking a break from in Disney (with the exception of the MVMCP parade of course).

It doesn't matter where you're coming from. After the winter of 2010, I'll never be caught without the full complement of winter gear at Disney in December (January and probably February as well). Hopefully you won't need any of it. But nobody wants to budget coats, hats and gloves for a family at WDW prices.

You might be used to cold temps at home. But you probably don't head out and stay outdoors most of the day. So even if it's not as cold as it is at home, you'll feel it more.

it might though. if some people from the south or areas of the west coast are commenting, "cold" might be in the 50s. for us that would be warm for that time of year.

It was in the 30's more than one day of our 2010 trip. I'm from the Midwest where we get sub zero temps and lots of snow. But that year at Disney we froze. And that was with hats, gloves, scarves and lots of layers.

December 2010 one day it got below 30. That was the day my son had us go on Flight of the Hippogriff 14 times in a row. At opening time. After that I took my frozen self to the gift shop and bought 3 Harry Potter scarves (that I previously had scoffed at) for nearly $100.

My husband doesn't change to long pants here at home (he works in downtown Seattle near the water where it is windy with big shadows from skyscrapers and wind tunnels from the streets) until it's below freezing. He was in tears from the cold when it was still in the 40s, ain Orlando, because there is So Much Water everywhere. You get a wind whipping across the water while watching Illuminations, you are getting chilled to the bone.

You WANT to bring options. Options like "longjohns" would have worked very well for us. Or now that I'm into running and got DH into wearing leg sleeves for flights, even just compression leg sleeves under our pants would have helped a bit.

I didn't think it would get that cold that year because it had done the same in '09. What I didn't know was that in January of 2010 either the Half or Full marathon at WDW was called "Disney on Ice", because it was *sleeting* at the start.

We've since been there in two Januarys where it was as cold or colder than Dec 2010. It can get COLD in Florida. Especially, it seems, when my family is there.

It's 11/22 and is still pretty hot, high 70s today. We are still wearing tank tops and shorts.

After the December trip mentioned above...the day we left it hit the 80s again.

January 2014 it was going low 40s I think into the 30s one day, and it was 80 the next, then back to cold again. It is HIGHLY variable there in winter.

Not sure what the forecast is right now, but I'm just talking about the possibilities.

OP if your family is of average sizes, it's easy to stock up on warmer things once there, if you find you need them. Either buy stuff from Disney or catch a cab and go to Target, etc. If anyone is significantly taller or in the solid plus sizes, though, it gets harder to find things onsite. (and that was where we ran into troubles December 2010).

We were there one year, I think 2010, when it was so cold Animal Kingdom had to have warming lamps on the trees and the hippos were not in the water. It was in the 30s in the morning for sure. We had to scrape frost off our car. We are from South Dakota, but we had to wear a lot of layers to stay warm

Part of the problem is that if you're going on a week long trip, the weather forecast is still too far out for the end of your trip to be reliable.

We arrived on a Saturday in 2010. Sunday we started out in the 70's. Then a front moved through and by Monday it was bitter cold.

After the December trip mentioned above...the day we left it hit the 80s again.

January 2014 it was going low 40s I think into the 30s one day, and it was 80 the next, then back to cold again. It is HIGHLY variable there in winter.

Not sure what the forecast is right now, but I'm just talking about the possibilities.

OP if your family is of average sizes, it's easy to stock up on warmer things once there, if you find you need them. Either buy stuff from Disney or catch a cab and go to Target, etc. If anyone is significantly taller or in the solid plus sizes, though, it gets harder to find things onsite. (and that was where we ran into troubles December 2010).

If I was heading back in December, I wouldn't even bother checking the forecast. I would just be prepared for anything. We did December 5 years in a row. I just kept a bag of "Disney in December" stuff (gloves, scarves, long johns, chemical handwarmers) that I put in the suitcase each year. Sometimes we needed it, sometimes we didn't. Man, I could have sold those chemical handwarmers for big money at MVMCP one night. Those adhesive thermal wraps are great for really cold nights as well.

Coming from NY, expect late October, Early-April-like weather. You know how it could be either 70 degrees in October/April or 50 degrees and chilly? It's exactly like that.

In 2009, there was a serious cold front. It never got over 55 degrees and at night it dipped into the 30s. The next year it was warmer, with a few days in the high 50s - which meant nights in the low 40s/high 30s. Our best and most consistent year was 2013. It stayed warm pretty much all trip, hovering in the 70s, with one or two cooler nights. Last year it made it into the 80s some days (it felt hotter). We wore shorts and t-shirts those days. At the end of our trip, it got rainy and cooled down substantially - 60s, low 70s and damp at night.

I'd do layers. I pack for fall/early spring. Long-sleeve tees, jeans, a light hoodie, etc. Then, I pack layers. I pack sweaters and sweatshirts. If it's cooler out one day, I'll wear a long-sleeve shirt with a hoodie. I also pack some collared shirts for dinners. I then pack for extreme temps. I pack short-sleeve tees if it's hot out (I sleep in t-shirts too, so that helps.) I also pack two pairs of shorts that go with anything. Then, I wear a winter coat down, bring gloves, a scarf, thick socks and a sock hat. I play around with layers depending on the temp. Also - hand warmers. Haven't used them the past two years, but wish I had them the previous few years.

Remember - you're surrounded by water. EPCOT and MK always feel a bit chillier and the dampness can make it feel about 5 degrees colder.

As another survivor of December 2010 I'm going to say, check the forecast right before you leave. If you may have temps under 40, pack a winter coat and gloves. Even if you are used to the cold (like me, lifelong Michigander) you will feel it. Most of us don't stay outdoors for hours on end.

It could snow in florida so you want to be ready for everything from snow to beach weather. Last year I found it tshirts and short weather if the sun was out and long pants and a warm sweatshirt in the evenings. Packing a day bag with coat and clothing options you can put into the lockers if you need to change makes a huge difference in your enjoyment for early morning and evening differences.

We have been there twice when the temps dipped in to the 20's. The one year, probably, 2010, it was cold for several days and it seems to me it never made it much above 50 for the daytime high. I don't think we had too many days in all the other years that I would say it was too hot. As PP have said the average would be 50-80. You never know how far those Alberta Clippers are going to dip, just be prepared.

Most of the folks I have seen here posting on threads about wearing layers are from up North like we are.

I have to always remind myself to pack a bathing suit, just-in-case it's nice for any Disney trip I take from Dec - Feb. More often than not, during those months, I hit the cold snap!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!