December 2012 Car Rentals

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by piglet33, Mar 30, 2012.

1. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

Does that include tax? That's a great rate for that time of year! I would suggest that you make another reservation for your full time using that rate and then work on getting the second week cheaper.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tripletsmama

tripletsmama DIS Veteran

Yes. It was about $225 before tax. It was with the code you posted, and picking up at a downtown Disney hotel. Is it usually cheaper to pick up somewhere other than the airport?

4. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

Yes. The airport locations usually change an additional "concessions" fee, although I have seen more and more off-airport locations charging those fees too.

5. mae5731

mae5731 Mouseketeer

I shaved a few dollars off my Budget rental (standard SUV...no kids, four adults and two sets of golf clubs :thumbsup2) using the Wendie's Special Offer BCD D454301 listed on their home page. I was at $302.84 total then had a $25 coupon code that would be applied. Now $272.38 taxes and fees included and don't have to jack with any coupon (no other offer may be applied with the Wendie's special). May be a wash if the coupon was going to be applied before taxes, but this way I KNOW the final amount.

6. keliblue

keliblue <font color=blue>It's kinda like a constant bad ha

getting antsy !! come on deals

7. schriverl

schriverl Mouseketeer

I don't know what I am doing wrong!! I'm trying for Alamo. My dates are Nov 29 to Dec 9. No matter what coupons or id's I try I always get the same rate?? It says $405 for compact every time with no codes and with codes. Please help!!

8. keliblue

keliblue <font color=blue>It's kinda like a constant bad ha

I just tried it and it's doing the same thing.. something is not right :confused3

I just tried it thru Costco and it was over $500 !! really !! for a compact.. what a joke

9. schriverl

schriverl Mouseketeer

Thank you for trying :crazy2:

10. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

According to http://www.carrentalsavers.com/ your 2 weeks are $286 with taxes for an Intermediate with Advantage. It might be a good backup plan to book now and work on getting a deal with Alamo later.

11. schriverl

schriverl Mouseketeer

Thank you. I appreciate your help... but for that price I'll be riding the bus for sure and probably getting a coupole 1 day rentals for shopping. :(
    I'm finding there are blackout dates for my time. I wish I knew what they were. I've also been trying just 12/1 to 12/8 at the car care center with no luck of any Q's working.

12. mae5731

mae5731 Mouseketeer

I think the thing that may throw a monkey wrench into really cheap rates for your original days is the time period...it's not a week, or a weekend or some even rental period like that. They will bill it as a week plus three days or whatever it is...

13. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

OK ... but that rate is really good for a 2 week period. Your rental is for 10 days, so it's coming up as two weeks.

As for your couple 1-day rentals, you don't need to rent at the Car Care Center. You can look down on Hotel Blvd for a car rental too as some places will pick you up.

ETA: It looks like it's charging $147 for a week, then $21 per day for the extra 3 days.

ETA2: Hotwire has a compact for $247 and a Midsize for $269. Priceline will be cheaper. Look at my post a page or two back about bidding on Priceline.

14. chefmb

chefmb DIS Veteran

I've also had trouble finding a good rate for my dates-11-29/12-4. The cheapest I've found is Dollar with the vo5013 code found on this thread. That totals $232.89, which is significantly cheaper than other rates I have found with the various codes--most are around $300. Last year, we were one week later-still a Thursday through Tuesday, I modified my reservation exactly a year ago, and it was $115.30 total ($72.67 base rate) with Dollar. What is going on this year? :confused3 It's double what I paid last year! At this rate, we may be doing Disney transportation, but we really like having the freedom with the rental car. My DH especially wants it for departing day so we can just load all the luggage in the car, head to the park all day, and drive to the airport. We really don't want to mess with storing our luggage. I'll keep searching.:surfweb:

15. schriverl

schriverl Mouseketeer

I would like to thank everyone for your help and tips. I'm really happy to know there's not something wrong with my computer !! This is why I love the Dis!!

16. jgraney106

jgraney106 DIS Veteran

Why not just use the Disney resort baggage check. We've used it many times with no problem. In fact we like it better than hauling the darn bags to the airport to check. Disney will print your boarding passes and you can also pay the baggage fees there. Makes it hassle free ! Just have to get yourself to the airport, and you will see your bags again when you arrive at your home airport! So actually your hubby doesn't really need a car for that either if you can't find a good rental rate for a car. Good Luck with whatever you end up doing and have a fantastic trip!

17. maciec

maciec AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?

That's sort of what we do. DD and I will get the car and send the boys on ME with our luggage. On the way back we do RAC at the resort so we don't have to worry about hauling our luggage.

18. ashleyrm

ashleyrm DIS Veteran

Just planned a "spur of the moment" trip for 12/16 - 12/20. Looked at car rental prices. Ouch. Of course, I booked for Sun - Thurs to not have to pay "weekend" hotel rates at WDW, but almost all coupons and other specials require a Saturday night stay. This happened last trip in late April, but got a code/discount at the last minute with Dollar. Hope the same happens this trip!

19. ashleyrm

ashleyrm DIS Veteran

Checked Dollar for my dates and the "cheapest" car that came up was a premium (Crown Vic or equivalent - lol!). Used the 4PMVM code and got total price of $231.98 for 5 days. I really don't want a car that big, but if its cheaper than the compact, why not?

Will keep checking over the next two months and see what happens!

20. Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina DIS Veteran

You received a premium car at the preferred rate because that code entitles you to the following discount:

"Get 15% off a Premium Car Minivan Mid-size SUV or Standard SUV when you pick up by December 20th 2012."

A compact is not included in that promotion. :)

21. ashleyrm

ashleyrm DIS Veteran

I priced all the cars first without using any promos (just my Dollar express membership) and the "city special" for the premium size came up at the lowest rates.

Available rates:

Compact - $220 (rates before taxes)
    Mid size -$225
    Standard - $319
    Full size - $234
    Premium - $192
    Mid size SUV - $211

Premium total was $255.71. Then I added the coupon and the price was $231.98

So, as that's the only current code that runs into December, it was the cheapest option...