Debt Dumpers - 2015

Why does getting out of debt have to go about as smoothly as losing weight?!! I LOVE instant gratification, thus why I have credit card debt lol, and need to see some progress immediately. My husband keeps saying "we've only had a plan for a month, give it time", but I want instant...The struggle...

Thank you so much Tamara. It's just hard, DH & I are just so sad. You may remember I had posted on here in June he was sick, had an infection in his gum. The vet gave us the option of just antibiotics or pull the tooth in the area (even though it wasn't an infected tooth, but would really help with the swelling) with antibiotics, so we did the latter. He just never recovered, went into liver failure & developed a bile duct blockage/possible tumor. He just didn't want to eat or drink, we were spoon feeding him. We initially thought the not wanting to eat was related to the tooth pulled as we had to switch him to a soft diet. The vet & tech were so good with him & I stayed with him until he was gone. I just kept petting him & crying.

I am so sorry. :sad:

So sorry that you had to send your fur baby to the rainbow bridge Angeejoe, my thoughts are with you.

For those of you who are contemplating paying a bit extra on your mortgages, contact your mortgage company and ask them to send you an 'amortization' of your mortgage. I did that- and when I saw how little of my payment actually goes toward the principal in the early years of the mortgage- I started paying extra.

My 'extra' principal payments each month (the first extra month of principal was less than $5) mounted up- and I ended up paying off our 30 year mortgage in 13 years. So even though my DH was RIFed out of his well paying job over 15 months ago now, at least our biggest monthly expense is taken care of. All I have to deal with now is utilities, taxes, insurance and the other monthly expenses.

So our belts have been tightened, but we think about each expenditure prior to dedicating the funds. And we discuss it. No impulse buying anymore... and I feel good if I have $$ left over at the end of each month!!

Why does getting out of debt have to go about as smoothly as losing weight?!! I LOVE instant gratification, thus why I have credit card debt lol, and need to see some progress immediately. My husband keeps saying "we've only had a plan for a month, give it time", but I want instant...The struggle...
It is no coincidence that I am fat and broke, LOL! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Oh Angeejoe, I am so sorry.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss :(

I'm so sorry for your loss. Those furry, four-legged, fluffy friends are family. Big hugs!!

I am so sorry about the loss of your cat.

I am so sorry. :sad:

So sorry that you had to send your fur baby to the rainbow bridge Angeejoe, my thoughts are with you.

For those of you who are contemplating paying a bit extra on your mortgages, contact your mortgage company and ask them to send you an 'amortization' of your mortgage. I did that- and when I saw how little of my payment actually goes toward the principal in the early years of the mortgage- I started paying extra.

My 'extra' principal payments each month (the first extra month of principal was less than $5) mounted up- and I ended up paying off our 30 year mortgage in 13 years. So even though my DH was RIFed out of his well paying job over 15 months ago now, at least our biggest monthly expense is taken care of. All I have to deal with now is utilities, taxes, insurance and the other monthly expenses.

So our belts have been tightened, but we think about each expenditure prior to dedicating the funds. And we discuss it. No impulse buying anymore... and I feel good if I have $$ left over at the end of each month!!

Thank you guys so much! I really appreciate all the love!!!! It warms my heart. :hug:

My employer has these health incentives where you take online mini classes, or a topic of a life change with a challenge, a health assessment, basic medical tests, wellness dr visits, etc. It used to be if you did so many/year, then the following year you'd get $5 off/biweekly of your health insurance (so $130/yr savings). I always participated, but this year they changed it. Where everything has a point system, if you get 600 points you earn $175 bonus! If you get 1000 points, you get an additional $75. So I could potentially earn $250! I'm not sure when you actually get the bonus, if it's as soon as you hit the points or if it's just the end of the year, it doesn't say. Also I'm sure it's taxed.

I currently have 449 points & just started the new quarterly health challenge that is about increasing water hydration, so I can earn 100pts by sept 27. Which is like the easiest for me as I mainly only drink water! I did a diet a few years ago, & never put too much thought into how many calories I was drinking.

So I was reviewing the mini classes & 1 is on financial wellness!!! Which of course made me think of you guys!! So I enrolled!! It's a month long class & I hope it lights another fire under me to just reassess our situation & take these new tools to bump up debt payoffs & save more.

Do you guys do something similar with your employer?

My employer has these health incentives where you take online mini classes, or a topic of a life change with a challenge, a health assessment, basic medical tests, wellness dr visits, etc. It used to be if you did so many/year, then the following year you'd get $5 off/biweekly of your health insurance (so $130/yr savings). I always participated, but this year they changed it. Where everything has a point system, if you get 600 points you earn $175 bonus! If you get 1000 points, you get an additional $75. So I could potentially earn $250! I'm not sure when you actually get the bonus, if it's as soon as you hit the points or if it's just the end of the year, it doesn't say. Also I'm sure it's taxed.

I currently have 449 points & just started the new quarterly health challenge that is about increasing water hydration, so I can earn 100pts by sept 27. Which is like the easiest for me as I mainly only drink water! I did a diet a few years ago, & never put too much thought into how many calories I was drinking.

So I was reviewing the mini classes & 1 is on financial wellness!!! Which of course made me think of you guys!! So I enrolled!! It's a month long class & I hope it lights another fire under me to just reassess our situation & take these new tools to bump up debt payoffs & save more.

That's AWESOME! Hope you earn lots of points.

I had a horrible heartbreaking day yesterday, I had to have my 10yr old cat put to sleep. It was unexpected. I'm just devastated. I'm really missing him. My other 2 cats seem lost without him.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. It's so tough losing your pet.

Joining in! I need all the motivation and encouragement I can get :)

We have been tackling our debt hardcore since January 2014. At the time we were in the triple digits, not including mortgage :scared1: Some of it was from stupid, unnecessary things. Some of it was completely necessary. Lots of it was just from being young and stupid with our money and not having a budget for years and years.

I am proud to say that we are now in the double digits for our total balance, but we still have a LONG way to go. I'm not comfortable disclosing the monetary amount, but if I don't have some visibility I won't stay completely accountable. So, I will say this. We have 12 medical bills, 6 credit cards, 7 student loans, 2 personal loans, 1 stupid collection, our son's private school tuition, 1 car and padding our savings account.

And I know many people will disagree with this, but although we are working hard at paying all this off, we aren't giving up 100% everything that we could to do so. We want to teach our kids the importance of budgets and how to be smart with their money. However, we also do not want to deprive them because of OUR mistakes. Plus, I know us and if we got rid of every single "fun" thing in our life we would crash and burn. Quick. So, yes, we do have cable and we go to the movies sometimes, or to the fair or to Chuck 'E Cheese. And, yes, we have a trip we are planning that we don't intend to cancel. But we are working hard on not going out to eat so much. Every time we come in to unexpected money we put 75% towards debt and 25% towards our fun fund. We are using the snowball method and so far it's working for us.

So, in a nutshell that's our story. Can't wait to read everyone's success stories :)

We have been tackling our debt hardcore since January 2014. At the time we were in the triple digits, not including mortgage :scared1: Some of it was from stupid, unnecessary things. Some of it was completely necessary. Lots of it was just from being young and stupid with our money and not having a budget for years and years.

I am proud to say that we are now in the double digits for our total balance, but we still have a LONG way to go. I'm not comfortable disclosing the monetary amount, but if I don't have some visibility I won't stay completely accountable. So, I will say this. We have 12 medical bills, 6 credit cards, 7 student loans, 2 personal loans, 1 stupid collection, our son's private school tuition, 1 car and padding our savings account.

And I know many people will disagree with this, but although we are working hard at paying all this off, we aren't giving up 100% everything that we could to do so. We want to teach our kids the importance of budgets and how to be smart with their money. However, we also do not want to deprive them because of OUR mistakes. Plus, I know us and if we got rid of every single "fun" thing in our life we would crash and burn. Quick. So, yes, we do have cable and we go to the movies sometimes, or to the fair or to Chuck 'E Cheese. And, yes, we have a trip we are planning that we don't intend to cancel. But we are working hard on not going out to eat so much. Every time we come in to unexpected money we put 75% towards debt and 25% towards our fun fund. We are using the snowball method and so far it's working for us.

So, in a nutshell that's our story. Can't wait to read everyone's success stories :)

I don't disagree!! You need to have family time & fun too! You have a plan that's working for you & your family, that's what matters most.

DH & I love going to the movies, so to make it fit our budget we almost always do matinees on our days off together which is only $5 each! Plus the theatre always has a coupon on their site for a free small popcorn! Also if we dine out I try to go to a place with coupons (Olive Garden, carrabbas, Outback always have coupons) or a good special of the day (Carrabbas & Outback have good 3 Course meal deals on sun & wed).

Life is short, you have to enjoy it!

Welcome aboard! There's a great bunch of people here!!

And I know many people will disagree with this, but although we are working hard at paying all this off, we aren't giving up 100% everything that we could to do so. We want to teach our kids the importance of budgets and how to be smart with their money. However, we also do not want to deprive them because of OUR mistakes. Plus, I know us and if we got rid of every single "fun" thing in our life we would crash and burn. Quick.

This happened to me. Multiple times. And more than just crashing and burning, I would rubberband back completely to OVERSPEND OVERSPEND and end up in even worse shape than I started. So now I am embracing the idea that fun can be part of your life while paying off debt.

Good luck!!

I did the same thing - but instead of contacting my mortgage company I went on bankrate.com and was able to put in the information from the start of the mortgage and see where I am now. It's awesome to see that only the little bit of extra put in each month really knocks things down!!
When I look at the balance on my loan and compare to the amortization schedule that is the amount that shows up as my balance in October 2016! Guess I'm doing better than I thought.

Just remember to come here and share any great tips and hints and helps!! :-)

Many credit card companies and banks now offer FICO scores for free. I have one credit card and my credit union account that let's me do it for sure. I might have more. Try logging I to your accounts and clucking around. Maybe you have one that offers it too.

Many credit card companies and banks now offer FICO scores for free. I have one credit card and my credit union account that let's me do it for sure. I might have more. Try logging I to your accounts and clucking around. Maybe you have one that offers it too.

Mine doesn't offer it free, but there is a paid Credit Monitoring service.

I am going to have my husband log into an account he has to see if it offers credit scores. I would assume he and I have different credit scores. Because my husband's information was compromised through a military database, they sent a letter where he was able to sign up for free credit monitoring for a year. I keep forgetting about this. I don't think he has logged in since signing up but are supposed to notify him if anything suspicious happens.

Last edited:

You can get your free score at creditkarma.com You do have to set up an account. I've been using them for 2 years.

Someone mentioned the ticket and food prices at WDW. I feel we hit our thresh hold too. Me and my dh both have some days left on our non expiring tickets. I feel we are going to hold onto them until some of this construction gets completed. We have been going every Feb. or April for the last 10 years and my dh loves to go, just not to the parks. He feels there is too much construction or he is tired of seeing the same things. (Gasp) but I agree. In Feb. we are going over to Universal-haven't been there in a long time.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter