Debating if HS is worth it for 3 year old

It so funny, before this thread, I was telling DH that I bet the kids would probably love Epcot (even though a lot of people say it's not really toddler friendly). A lot of these comments are confirming my thoughts!

If you are going to be there during the month of December, I think your little one(s) will certainly like Epcot A LOT. My DD loves the holiday storytellers in Epcot. I could not get her to take a picture with Santa when she was 12 months old (he terrified her) But she loved Pere Noelle in France and happily posed with him. The nice thing about Epcot is there are a lot of good exploring type things which I found my daughter really likes. There are only so many shows / rides one can do. Anyway, we are going for a quick weekend and despite staying close to HS, we are only going to MK and Epcot. I certainly would allocate a lot more time to Epcot then HS or even AK with toddlers / preschoolers.

I took my DS at the ages of 9 months, 1.5, 3, and 4 and he has always loved HS. When he was those ages he constantly watched Disney JR and loved seeing those characters. He loved the show he even loved the Little Mermaid show. He also at age 3 by sitting in my lap loved Toy Story Mania. I would say yes it is worth it in my opinion based on his reactions each visit.

For my kids, DHS is usually a total fail. The shows aren't great for little ones - certainly Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo in AK are far more entertaining to them. They can't do most of the rides, except for TSM. And TSM is fun, but it's really only so very crowded because it's the only real family ride in the park. Singalong Frozen is fun, but it's not super-duper amazing. (DS 5 enjoyed it, DD 2.5 and I spent most of the time in the back of the theater with me trying to get her to pay attention - and she LOVES to sing along to Frozen at home)
For our family, Epcot would far, far, far beat out DHS any day. And even a second day at MK or Epcot would beat out a single day in DHS.

Do they have animals there that are not found at local zoos? We get much better animal interaction at our local zoo. We skip AK often. Lol
I don't know. It would depend on how well-funded and research-oriented your local zoo is. Disney has a whole group of Sumatran tigers, and has been introducing a young male to an age appropriate female in hopes to increase their family. That's the newest thing I can think off. If you live in a city with a really amazing, internationally recognized zoo like Washington or San Diego or even Cincinatti, I guess it would be easy to feel like you get to see Sumatran Tigers or Black Rhinos any time you want. We find Disney's conservation efforts, research, and efforts to prevent extinction just as engaging as looking at the animals.

I don't know. It would depend on how well-funded and research-oriented your local zoo is. Disney has a whole group of Sumatran tigers, and has been introducing a young male to an age appropriate female in hopes to increase their family. That's the newest thing I can think off. If you live in a city with a really amazing, internationally recognized zoo like Washington or San Diego or even Cincinatti, I guess it would be easy to feel like you get to see Sumatran Tigers or Black Rhinos any time you want. We find Disney's conservation efforts, research, and efforts to prevent extinction just as engaging as looking at the animals.
Cincinnati and Columbus are local for us. :)

My daughter was 2 weeks shy of her 3rd birthday on our last trip. She loved Hollywood Studios. She enjoyed-Toy Story Mania, Muppetvision, Little Mermaid, the Frozen Sing Along, Disney Junior, the Great Movie Ride. We did the dine and play at hollywood and vine which had Doc, Jake, Sofia, and Handy Manny. It was a fun dance party style, and such a welcome relief that she could get up and move around! It was about 3/4 of a day for us. Definitely a must do for us.

We have never skipped Hollywood Studios - my daughter is now 10 - but some of our best memories are from HS - back in 2007 she met the Power Rangers (ended up being that for four halloweens); had breakfast with JoJo and Little Einsteins several times; watched Beauty and the Beast twice in one day! Even now at her age, she still wants to go to Disney Jr - just to see how it has evolved. Probably the best place for shopping for Disney Jr souvenirs (by Little Mermaid) - and of course the Toy Story area and ride are incredible!

I would spend another full day at MK. Use half day for AK, skip HS. Just my opinion.

My kids love DHS. I consider it kind of a "break" because there are more shows to watch and less rides. Plus Muppets and Disney Jr Live are there - big winners in our family.

Yes, we are keeping it...Doing 2 MK days, 1 AK and 1 DHS..probably going to sleep in and go later in the morning as we are doing the MVMCP the night before. I was able to get Minnie's Holiday & Dine so that will make a nice treat as well.

I've planned for an evening there (with Minnie's Holiday Dine) to see Osborne lights and fantasmic, then a second day to do rides/shows. The park is closing at 4 that day so we'll probably use the evening to head to Disney Springs or relax at the resort.

My youngest turned 3 last summer while at WDW and she preferred DHS to Epcot (she was afraid of every ride at Epcot, even Nemo). She especially loved DisneyJr, TSMM and Frozen.

I was just there with my 4 year old. She enjoyed DHS but there didnt seem to be as much to do for the youngest ones. That said, she loved the Disney Jr and Beauty and the Beast shows along with Fantasmic!

Our favorites were MK and Epcot.

Last edited:
My 2 year old (at the time) loved HS, loved Epcot, loved MK, and didn't think much of AK. He would have spent all day in the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground if we let him. His reaction to the Disney Jr. Live show was amazing. It was on par with his reaction to meeting the talking Mickey Mouse. I wouldn't skip it if you can swing it!

I think HS is very worth it for a 3yo. Our daughter was almost 3 on our trip in January and there is so much there for that age. I feel like people really knock this park for little ones for no reason. You have to go in understanding that this park will be more about shows for them than rides.

Disney Jr.
beauty and the beast
little mermaid show
honey i shrunk the kids playground
frozen sing along
character meets
FANTASMIC! (so great for the kiddos!)

some more iffy ones but still entertaining enough:
toy story ride (just a skill level issue but can let them go for it regardless haha)
muppets 3D
great movie ride
indiana jones/lights motors action

Yes, I am definitely doing it...we are doing 2 MK, 1 DHS and 1 AK...This is not our first trip nor will it be our last but this trip is totally for my youngest DS and want him to not miss out on some of the amazing things at DHS as you never know when the shows will be gone.

We enjoyed HS with my 3.5 year old DD the last time we went (but that was awhile ago). We are going during December so I'm excited to see the Osborne festival of lights but even if it wasn't then, I'm sure we would plan to go again to see it.

My 3 yr old loved HS! He enjoyed the Disney Jr, TSM, Little Mermaid, Lights/Motors/Action show, F!, the Frozen stuff. Definitely worth the visit to DHS.

HS was my kids' least favorite. I had a 5 year old girl and a 2.5 year old boy.

They both liked the Muppet movie, meeting Phineas and Ferb, and Toy Story. My 5 year old liked the Ariel show and the Frozen sing along but my toddler barely made it through them. Great Movie Ride terrified her, he fell asleep.

They probably wouldn't have missed it. They loved Epcot, especially Spaceship Earth. I'd still do HS in a long trip, but would skip it on a short one. For my family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter