DDs dream has me a little freaked!!

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by susiee, Nov 2, 2012.

1. susiee

susiee Earning My Ears

We leave on our first cruise 3 weeks from tomorrow.
    DD always tells me about her dreams - some really strange ones and some tame ones.

She said last night she had a dream our family was on a cruise and there was a bomb. A woman came up to her and told her not to worry.
    Now,
    A) we don't watch the news that often and
    B) we haven't told her we are going on a cruise yet so
    C) it was quite freaky to hear her tell me about this!!!
    D) I am not worried...she has an active imagination and has had very bizarre dreams in the past.

But boy....it sure freaked me out for a while this morning!!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. chateau

chateau DIS Veteran

not the first time I've heard of children's subconcious capabilities far surpassing adults.... why someone hasn't seriously checked into this point, i'll never know

4. Bear3412

Bear3412 DIS Veteran

Trying to give you some words that may help with those fears.
    Dogs have a sense of smell 50 times as powerful as humans.
    All checked luggage gets the dogs.
    I know that's thin but ....
    It gave me solace fwiw.
    HTH

5. Bear3412

Bear3412 DIS Veteran

And that's what makes this so spooky to OP IMHO.

It's only the carry on bags I worry about. Those bags are small enough where as not to worry.
    The whole subject crossed my mind too several times.

Please try not to worry. We have some great port folks in this country, encompassing five agencies. Trust me. :thumbsup2

Relax and have a great stress free trip. :goodvibes

6. Gigi22

Gigi22 DIS Veteran

Could be your DD has subconsciously picked up on the general anxiety caused by Sandy, and she is translating it into 'a bomb'. I would reassure her about the cruise.

7. chateau

chateau DIS Veteran

I'll second your confidence in our agencies. My question is this now... how do you intend to tell her she's cruising after this? I'd suggest working through the dream with her (talking it out, letting her express her thoughts and concerns, if any) not just letting it go. I'd seriously also not let her know, if possible, that it freaked YOU out, or she definately WILL be also!!::yes::

8. Bear3412

Bear3412 DIS Veteran

This. How old is DD? Is she watching TV?

9. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

There are other cultures that put great faith in that sort of thing.

Yes, but she doesn't yet know about the cruise...

I'm sure you'll figure out a way to tell her about the cruise without her worrying too much. :hug:

10. Evi

Evi DIS Veteran

Not to take away the idea that children may be more intuitive then adults but from a psychological stand point, dreams of fire and natural disasters are common amongst children who've seen or heard about traumatic events. She could have seen something on the news on tv or even heard her friends talking you just never know. Dreams are also a safe place we play with what if scenarios. So its entirely possible she knows your going on a cruise and could be a little afraid. Again you just never know. I wouldn't feed into this dream but keep listening and see if she has other scary dreams and talk to her about them. If nothing else you can reassure her of any subconscious fears she may have.

11. Ptwolfman

Ptwolfman Mouseketeer from CA

This may be a stretch but I think she may suspect that you're going on a cruise at some point and is waiting for you to "drop the bomb". That's why everything was going to be ok in her dream. Just my 2c

12. briarrose1

briarrose1 Disney Fanatic Since 1995♥

13. Mel2421

Mel2421 Mouseketeer

My dd and I are scheduled to leave for our very first cruise in 28 days. I was having some very scary dreams about being on the ship. My disney husband is NOW joining us and all the bad dreams are gone. Weird huh!

My dd also has very strange dreams and so far nothing scary about our upcoming cruise. Thank God!

14. susiee

susiee Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone!

We have had the news on since we were in Sandy's path...but we were prepared and neither me or DH had any panic or worry. LIke I said, she has had really strange,vivid dreams before. She does say she wants to go on a cruise when she sees ads about them. The part about the bomb was just strange - but it was near Halloween and I don't know if she hears other kids talking about costumes/pretend play, etc. She is 7.

I asked her more about the dream, and it has made me feel a little better. Apparently we were getting cereal (all her favorite kinds and it was unlimited!!) and another boat came up and some men threw bombs at our boat. We got inside and everyone was ok.

I think we will keep an eye and ear on her. We do talk about going to a beach and trying snorkeling, so we have been overtly talking about things we will be doing. Will need to keep saying positive things about safety and let her know when we tell her that it will be a fantastic time with no worries.
    Wow - leaving 3 weeks from today!!!!