DDP and ADRs

BeccaG

DIS Veteran
I tried to post the question below in another place and it did not get answered, so maybe you will help me!! :wave:

Hello I am new to the DISboards and newer to the dinning forum. I just purchased DVC so I found the board doing research on that. Anyhow, you all seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to the DDP so I thought you would be the folks to ask for DDP questions.

Let me begin by making sure I got this straight. For the cost of the DDP you get one table service meal, one counter service meal and one snack every day for every person in your party. The meals include desert and appetizers when available. So far I am good right?

Then for the table service you usually have to make ADR's? That's the part that confuses (or frustrates) me. So you totally have to plan when and where you are going to eat at least once a day?
Is there any chance of "walking in" to a table service restraint?
Can you exchange your table service for a counter service so you are not "locked in?"
Or when you go, do you just plan some TS or "specials" like character meals for the TS tickets that require 2, so you can be flexible the other days?

Sorry for all the questions! Its just that when my DH and I went for our honeymoon three years ago, we made some TS reservations and some days we had nothing planned. We are going on a shorter trip next December (five nights instead of nine) with family and friends, and are trying to figure out the best way to handle the food!

Your # of meals are based on your # of nights of stay, and yes, 1 TS, 1CS, and 1 snack. ADR's are recommended for TS restaurants whether you are on dining plan or not. Don't let it make you nuts. I look at the EMH list, figure out where we are likely to be, and make ADR's based on where we want to eat most. If our plans change, we call Disney dining from the parks, ask what is available, and change our plans. You can still be flexible, take it easy, it's a vacation! :goodvibes

Technically no you dont have to make an adr and no you cant exchange meals.

You should make adrs to guarentee you have somewhere to eat. It isnt being on the dining plan that means you have to but the restaurants are just plain crowded (it has been debated if this is due to the dddp though). You may end up not being able to eat anywhere if you dont have an adr. We made all our adrs but like lecellier we were walking past one day and were hungry they could get us in so we went then and cancelled the adr later in the week. We tried to get into bomas and couldnt got our name written down at jikos for an hour later then had to wait another 30 minutes to be seated at 9:30 at night...when trying to go last minute without an adr. So making the adr's assures you something and if you decide you want something else you can call and cancel that adr (that way some other walk in can get something). I actually tried to get bomas the day I arrived and they checked and they didnt have a decently timed ADR available for my entire trip. My brother went in Jan and had much trouble getting meals.

As far as exchanging credits, some people have reported luck with exchanging down in credits but I'm thinking this is one of those things the cm's are able to do but isnt actually part of the plan. So dont count on it but asking when there never hurts.

what do you mean a large group? people use it for grand gatherings. Each reservation has there own package.

beth_cam said:
what do you mean a large group? people use it for grand gatherings. Each reservation has there own package.

I should have specified a few things!!! :) By large I mean more than 10 and by work, I mean is it convenient? And can you get ADRs for more than 10?

I havent tried it but I know people do it. I think someone posted recently that their party of 10 was split at tables but a party that big often would be anyway since not all restaurants can accomidate. But I think the hardest thing as far as that is concerned would be agreeing on a place. I think that is something you may have to figure out among your group. Like say we went with my mom (just two days with the understanding we werent trying to stay altogether) so there was only one meal together but had we stayed longer mom would have planned it all and paid for it so we would have been like ducks going where she said. Take mom out of the picture me and siblings would never make it anywhere. There were 12 of us and she said we are eating here and we did it. She took care of the arrangements and all went fine. They pushed tables together for us at LTT.

We have a party of 8 and they were going to have to seat us at two tables, but when we talked to them later they made arrangements to put tables together. I think they will try to accomodate you the best they can. But may not be able to if you don't have ADR's. It lets them know in advance how many are coming and how to move things around. Hope that helps. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter