DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Gentlemen (Ahem),

Please accept this message as my application to join your illustrious ranks. I am a 36-year-old father of two from RI. My dear wife has a grand enough sense of humor to have tolerated me for the past twelve years, and is kind enough to pretend not to notice when I get dust in my eyes watching the kids at Disney. Our children include a 4-year-old son, and a 21-month-old feral daughter who don't yet know they'll be seeing Disney and Beach Club again the 15th-22nd of November.

I have studied the requirements and find I qualify for most but, sadly, not all. I will submit to you, however, that some of the earliest photos of me were taken at Disney in 1981, and show me with my own father, a member of the original WDWdads. I'm also a small business owner who, through rough calculations, has wasted tens of thousdands of dollars worth of man hours planning trips, researching ride heights, making ADR's, and compiling the most complete Disney spreadsheets an OCD Dad can manage.
Not sure how I missed out on joining the DisDads but we just got home from an offsite trip for my niece's dance competition that wa held at the Contemporay. We sadly didn't get to do the parks this time but we did do a lot of resort hopping that we normally wouldn't do on a strictly Disney trip.

Hey all! Been a while since I checked in. Had a couple getaways since last time I was here. Visited the beautiful gulf shores of Indian Rocks Beach, FL for a week at the end of June. That was a very relaxing vacation... well, with the exception of that tropical storm the blew through the area. Sure did turn up some good waves on the gulf side! Then the first week in July we visited my parents in Canton, OH. Fun times celebrating my dad's birthday with a lot of fireworks. Good times for sure!

Hope everyone is doing well. Summer is fading quickly... only 32 days until school starts for DD. 8th grade. Sheesh. Hard to believe she just finished Kindergarten when we made our first trip to WDW and I joined this forum. Crazy.

Happy Tuesday!
Good to hear from ya and sounds like a nice summer with solid family time.
The show The Chew is at Disney this week. Right now they are touring food and wine booths. God I love F&W. Should I just get in the car and drive up there?
What are you waiting for? Another couple of years and me and DW are gonna head down for F&W.

Sounds promising. Glad to hear you're (mostly) on the mend.
“Mostly” will have to do for now. We’ll test my stamina in September with a nine hour drive and several days walking miles at a time through the parks.

Nice. I want to go on a cruise.
As do I…
Today would be good.

she let me know that was before I got old. Thanks kid.
Young’ns are good at getting right to the heart of the insult.
Payback comes as you actually get to the age where you can be young again…
And point out to her that she’s now getting old.

Often…

That is good news. Just don't do anything stupid.
You do realize that you just told a DisDad not to do anything stupid…

Right?

First kid is a pet. The second one is work.
Heck, the first one was work…
One reason we didn’t go for the second.

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Now, you need to tweek that explanation to your DW to say the Dr. told me I should try this in the bedroom with you .....
Trust me…
Not a problem.

I was thinking you would drive down and pick it up. I avoid work at all occasions.
Ahhh, but I also avoid work where possible…
Looks like a stalemate.

Very well said. You are a wise man.
That’s also questionable description when applied to a DisDad.
But let’s entertain that notion for just a moment…
It explains why I won’t be driving up there after that shed.

Not sure how I missed out on joining the DisDads…
Was probably either wisdom or divine providence…

…but we just got home from an offsite trip for my niece's dance competition that wa held at the Contemporay. We sadly didn't get to do the parks this time but we did do a lot of resort hopping that we normally wouldn't do on a strictly Disney trip.
But you’re here now.

:welcome:

We’re glad to have you along.
As the others have said, initiation and dues structure will be explained in the near…
but in the meantime dive on in.

We’ve been off topic for years.

Hey all! Been a while since I checked in. Had a couple getaways since last time I was here. Visited the beautiful gulf shores of Indian Rocks Beach, FL for a week at the end of June. That was a very relaxing vacation... well, with the exception of that tropical storm the blew through the area. Sure did turn up some good waves on the gulf side! Then the first week in July we visited my parents in Canton, OH. Fun times celebrating my dad's birthday with a lot of fireworks. Good times for sure!
Good to hear from you Don!
That’s a good bit of traveling.
And from the sound of it, rather adventurous traveling as well.

Hope everyone is doing well. Summer is fading quickly... only 32 days until school starts for DD. 8th grade. Sheesh. Hard to believe she just finished Kindergarten when we made our first trip to WDW and I joined this forum. Crazy.
The next semester starts even earlier for us.

And the bill is enough to take your breath away.
8th you say? Hang on there; it’s all just about to go into Hyper-Active Hyper-Drive.

The show The Chew is at Disney this week. Right now they are touring food and wine booths. God I love F&W. Should I just get in the car and drive up there?
Yes… Yes you should.

In fact why are you still sitting there?
Get moving!

And we told him he was the main event, not just an accompaniment to a 500g Nebraska Ribeye. So he was happy.
If it was weighed in grams…
It didn’t come from Nebraska.

But in all cases a good Ribeye is tough to beat.

A place called Goodmans. There are a couple, the one we hit is in Canary Wharf. You kind of fall into 2 camps in London. Dudes who think that Goodmans is the best steakhouse, and Dudes who think Hawksmoor is the best. I remember a meeting last year that was scheduled for an hour and the 6 guys used up about 45 mins on the great steakhouse debate.
Filing this away in my notes as something to consider if we ever get to travel that way.

I know...I'm more of a mushroom man myself. But to counter the argument slightly, I REALLY don't get grits.
Then you’ve never had them properly fixed.
Actually, they’re better for dinner then in the morning.

Well-made Shrimp-n-Grits is one of the finest meals that one could ever set their jaw to.

Gentlemen
What? Where!

Ok, that better.

Please accept this message as my application to join your illustrious ranks. I am a 36-year-old father of two from RI. My dear wife has a grand enough sense of humor to have tolerated me for the past twelve years, and is kind enough to pretend not to notice when I get dust in my eyes watching the kids at Disney. Our children include a 4-year-old son, and a 21-month-old feral daughter who don't yet know they'll be seeing Disney and Beach Club again the 15th-22nd of November.

I have studied the requirements and find I qualify for most but, sadly, not all. I will submit to you, however, that some of the earliest photos of me were taken at Disney in 1981, and show me with my own father, a member of the original WDWdads. I'm also a small business owner who, through rough calculations, has wasted tens of thousdands of dollars worth of man hours planning trips, researching ride heights, making ADR's, and compiling the most complete Disney spreadsheets an OCD Dad can manage.

You qualify

:welcome:

Imagine that; two new foo… errr… members in one day.
Just kick some of the empty beer cans and pizza boxes out of the way and pull up a lawn chair.
We're glad to have you along for the ride.

]

If it was weighed in grams…
It didn’t come from Nebraska.
Don't even get me started on the 568ml of Sam Adams they served me.
Very possibly, as I've never had them in the south. The ones I had the taste and consistency of milky coffee beans. I'll give them another shot in Anna Maria Island.

An imperial pint of an American beer served in a London steak house?
Something's amiss here.

Very possibly, as I've never had them in the south. The ones I had the taste and consistency of milky coffee beans. I'll give them another shot in Anna Maria Island.
Coffee? Well unless there was Red-Eye Garvey mixed in (which isn't an impossibility), that's not right
Now there should be some milk & cream as part of the cooking liquid (not just water) but milky is also wrong.
They ought not be watery, but more smooth like Polenta (which is a similar dish). While good grits are fine on their own, they're also best used as a base for other flavors in the same way as pasta. But rule #1: they should never be sweetened; grits is a savory dish... Period.

Anna Maria Island would count as some fairly high class digs, but being that far south into Florida it's not exactingly what I'd call South'rn. You may need to find a family run dive or come up closer to Savannah or Charleston to get the real thing. Or better yet, my wife's kitchen. I'll get her to serve up some with sauteed peppers, onions, garlic and smoked sausage. (those grits are some seriously good eats).

Congrats to her. May she proudly wear that hardware.

I'm good with it going to a deserving person.

Thanks, both she and I are proud. As for the title, it goes to the one most deserving at the time. With my work schedule, I earn it some days. When I retire to Florida in 10 years, I'll take it over permanently from you.

Not sure how I missed out on joining the DisDads but we just got home from an offsite trip for my niece's dance competition that wa held at the Contemporay. We sadly didn't get to do the parks this time but we did do a lot of resort hopping that we normally wouldn't do on a strictly Disney trip.

Welcome. Dues are payable in dole whips, bacon, beer, or cake. You mail me 800+ portions and I send to the rest of the guys.

We've done some resort hopping as well. It is a fun way to enjoy Disney,

Happy Tuesday!

:wave: Don. My oldest is a freshman in HS this year. I get it.

Send me an airline ticket and I'll join you.

Gentlemen (Ahem),

Welcome. Dues are payable in dole whips, bacon, beer, or cake. You mail me 800+ portions and I send to the rest of the guys.

I have a feral teenager and won't trade you. I only have 4 more years.

That’s also questionable description when applied to a DisDad.
But let’s entertain that notion for just a moment…
It explains why I won’t be driving up there after that shed.
]

Still applies, especially to you "stats".

Ok, in addition to banning all the extrua Canaudauian Us, we need to ban these types of complicated measurements. What's 568mL? Is that a 6-pack?

Welcome Gentleman. Pull up a chair have a beverage of choice and post non sensical stuff like the rest of us.

DON! (watching Cheers on Netflix). Saw some of your posts on FB, looked like a good time was had by all. As to the tropical storm, man up. We play golf or BBQ during tropical storms down here.

Yes… Yes you should.

In fact why are you still sitting there?
Get moving!

Wish I could. Part of the problem is the New York state Dept. of Revenue sent me a letter last week.

Not a fan of grits, kind of like beans for breakfast but at least the beans have some texture. Grits cannot be eaten by itself, you need to add eggs, bacon fat or anything else the gives it some flavor. Think the consistency of lumpy paste with the same taste.

Send me an airline ticket and I'll join you.

Talk to the NY State Department of Revenue and you may have a deal.

Not a fan of grits, kind of like beans for breakfast but at least the beans have some texture. Grits cannot be eaten by itself, you need to add eggs, bacon fat or anything else the gives it some flavor. Think the consistency of lumpy paste with the same taste.
Again I say, you've never had 'em properly fixed then.
They're designed to be mixed with other things but lumpy and bland are two things they should not be.
Ever...

It's been busy around here, I was away for a day and there's two new Dads!

:welcome: Ah yes, the dance competition, I've been involved in more than one. My oldest is thinking about getting out of it next year, but my youngest is still going strong. Too bad you didn't get into the parks, but the resort hopping sounds fun. I haven't done any of that, other than the ones I've stayed at. Something else for the bucket list.

Yep, it's crazy how fast time flies. MY DD was 8 on our first trip and now she's out getting her learner's permit.

Gentlemen (Ahem)
You're already on thin ice addressing all of us as "gentlemen"! OK, seriously, :welcome: it sounds like you'll fit right in.

Ok, in addition to banning all the extrua Canaudauian Us, we need to ban these types of complicated measurements. What's 568mL? Is that a 6-pack?
I do prefer my beverages measured in millilitres, as long as it's not the uncouth milliliters. :teeth:

Morning folks.
Been a long night. Looking forward to crashing when I get home.
Otherwise... nothing to report. Carry on.

Happy Wednesday. Didn't sleep well at the hotel last night, and thankfully get to leave today around noon. Youngest dd has caught the tennis tournament fever, so I signed her up for one this weekend. There is another one the following weekend that she wants me to sign her up for as well. In all other sports, having a June birthday has been a deficit and she has had to play with older children. For tennis, she gets to play her age and younger (12U) and is sometimes a foot taller and way stronger. And, her dad was smart enough to buy her a racquet and strings that compliment her game. This will be a first test for her.

Like Rob said, then you haven't had grits prepared correctly. I like grits with breakfast foods as well as shrimp n grits. I alternate eating them together and separate because they are just that good. It makes me think of that My Cousin Vinny movie witness cross examination of using instant grits.

I do prefer my beverages measured in millilitres, as long as it's not the uncouth milliliters. :teeth:

Now you're revesring Rs in wodrs? Or, is that woudrs? It's madneruss! :lmao:

It makes me think of that My Cousin Vinny movie witness cross examination of using instant grits.
"Do you like them regular or al dente?"
"No self respectin' southerner uses instant grits...."

Welcome to the new guys, and welcome back Don!

Is that even a question?

“Mostly” will have to do for now. We’ll test my stamina in September with a nine hour drive and several days walking miles at a time through the parks.

That sounds like the best physical therapy assignment ever.

That's been my experience with grits, too. As Jim Gaffigan says, like a bag of wet cement.

Love to see the classics being quoted!

"Do the laws of physics cease to apply on your stove? Are these magic grits?"

That's been my experience with grits, too. As Jim Gaffigan says, like a bag of wet cement.
Now I like Gaffigan, to be sure, but...
wouldn't comparing the grits y'all encountered up that way be a little like my extolling the "virtues" of a cheese steak I got in Atlanta?

Break in meetings today so thought I'd stop in to see what's going on.
Happy Wednesday. Didn't sleep well at the hotel last night, and thankfully get to leave today around noon. Youngest dd has caught the tennis tournament fever, so I signed her up for one this weekend. There is another one the following weekend that she wants me to sign her up for as well. In all other sports, having a June birthday has been a deficit and she has had to play with older children. For tennis, she gets to play her age and younger (12U) and is sometimes a foot taller and way stronger. And, her dad was smart enough to buy her a racquet and strings that compliment her game. This will be a first test for her.
I can relate to the lack of sleep in hotels. All the best to DD on her tournament this weekend but what's this Dad was smart thing?
I am now listening to "Vincent Laguardia Gambini - Sings for you" on spotify.
Genius.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Had no idea what you were referencing so am now listening to Vincent myself on Spotify. You know he was involved with Frankie Vali and The Four Seasons and one of them work for him as a personal assistant or something.

Saw this on our last day
SPAMMMM!!!! ha! Nice pic of PP!

Welcome! Resort hopping is pretty cool! One year we chose to use our quick service credits for lunch at various resorts. Nice adventure when a break from the parks is needed.

::yes::::yes::

Hey, stranger.

:wave2:

Gentlemen (Ahem),

Another welcome!! Sounds like you have a keeper DW there :thumbsup2 Humor and toleration! :lmao: And did I hear you say SPREADSHEET?!? We just LOVE those around here, don't we Norm?? No such thing as a waste when performing such high-risk, high-reward decisions you mention there :cool2:

Good to hear from ya and sounds like a nice summer with solid family time.

Definitely been a good time with family this summer. Sounds like you've been a busy guy this summer!

Good to hear from you Don!
That’s a good bit of traveling.
And from the sound of it, rather adventurous traveling as well.

Yes.... June came and went before we know it. DD also had her first summer camp week away from mom and dad in between all the travels. I though DW was going to give up half way into the camp and drive up to northern VA just to make sure her kid was ok! :lmao: But then she got a text saying everything was ok. I'm sure you veteran dads can have a good laugh at that! lol

The next semester starts even earlier for us.

:eek: You don't say!!

8th you say? Hang on there; it’s all just about to go into Hyper-Active Hyper-Drive.

Stop.... just stop... ok? :faint:

:wave: Don. My oldest is a freshman in HS this year. I get it.

:wave2: Norm! A freshman! That's crazy talk.

DON! (watching Cheers on Netflix). Saw some of your posts on FB, looked like a good time was had by all. As to the tropical storm, man up. We play golf or BBQ during tropical storms down here.

Ha! Man, I haven't seen an episode in years... will need to fire up Netflix tonight and get a refresher! So... yeah... those tropical storms... they do make the streets pretty clear! We went out for pizza in the afternoon and traffic was great! :lmao:

Wish I could. Part of the problem is the New York state Dept. of Revenue sent me a letter last week.

Uh oh. I have a feeling you were NOT doing this: :dancer:

Yep, it's crazy how fast time flies. MY DD was 8 on our first trip and now she's out getting her learner's permit.

I just had the Subaru commercial play in my head...

Sorry to hear you didn't sleep well. Hope your DD keeps on enjoying the sport! At least now she has an advantage on the players! Dad... smart... hmmm.... almost sounds like saying "I have a bright idea!" :lmao: let's hope this one pans out on the good side :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Welcome to the new guys, and welcome back Don!

Ha! Still doesn't get old :rotfl2: And it's good to be back, Mark! :cool2:

That's the one.

Love to see the classics being quoted!

"Do the laws of physics cease to apply on your stove? Are these magic grits?"

Two Yutes? What's a Yute? Great movie. You're wrong on the grits though.

Now I like Gaffigan, to be sure, but...
wouldn't comparing the grits y'all encountered up that way be a little like my extolling the "virtues" of a cheese steak I got in Atlanta?

Kinda like Florida lobster vs Maine Lobster?

Some of the restaurants up north don't even serve biscuits n gravy.

I can relate to the lack of sleep in hotels. All the best to DD on her tournament this weekend but what's this Dad was smart thing?

Not trying to take credit for her success. Sadly, I watched these other kids at the tournament last weekend and can tell that some of them were playing with racquets too old, too heavy, or too small for their swing style. I let dd try several of my racquets and string set-ups, and then found her the right racquet & string & string tension for her racquet. Anyone know the difference between a 15 vs 18 guage tennis string? I do and have that advantage right now. It will decrease once she gets older and playing on same age groups in HS teams, as the coaches will help pick the equipment for the other players.

Another welcome!! Sounds like you have a keeper DW there :thumbsup2 Humor and toleration! :lmao: And did I hear you say SPREADSHEET?!? We just LOVE those around here, don't we Norm?? No such thing as a waste when performing such high-risk, high-reward decisions you mention there :cool2:

Spread sheets are our friends. ::yes::

Yes.... June came and went before we know it. DD also had her first summer camp week away from mom and dad in between all the travels. I though DW was going to give up half way into the camp and drive up to northern VA just to make sure her kid was ok! :lmao: But then she got a text saying everything was ok. I'm sure you veteran dads can have a good laugh at that! lol

:wave2: Norm! A freshman! That's crazy talk.
!" :lmao: ! :cool2:

How did you do with her being gone to her first camp? Were you driving back to get her too? I know that feeling, but now that she is a freshman and lost her freaking hormone mind, I'm ready to find her a camp to stay in for the rest of the summer. :lmao:

Sadly, I watched these other kids at the tournament last weekend and can tell that some of them were playing with racquets too old, too heavy, or too small for their swing style. I let dd try several of my racquets and string set-ups, and then found her the right racquet & string & string tension for her racquet. Anyone know the difference between a 15 vs 18 guage tennis string?
I must admit I had no idea there was so much technique and science behind a tennis racquet.

I just had the Subaru commercial play in my head
I had never seen that one. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some dust in my eyes I need to wipe out...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter