DDC XXVII: Penguins in Paradise!

Discussion in 'DIS Dads' started by Cinderella's Fella, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthernTaz

SouthernTaz DDC #???

Well the rumors of another 24hr day at Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are swirling around (rumors).... So since we should be in Orlando to start our trip on the 24th, the wife and kids, have decided that this could be a fun way to spend the 1st night of our vacation! I told them that lots of folks said the leap day event was crazy, they didn't care... So Dad had to make a plan...... So looks like we will hit the road around 3am on the 24th , drive to Orlando, mess around town for a bit, check in to the hotel later in the afternoon, then crash untill about 9pm... I was able to score a 9:55pm 'Ohana reservation, so we can stuff ourselves then head over to MK for the rest of the night. If the rumors are true the park will close at 6am, so seeing sun rise from the park could be cool too...... What say the dads? have i lost my mind?:confused3

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Cinderella's Fella

Cinderella's Fella DIS Dad #215 Maryland, The Land Of Merry!

Yup! You're crazy, I like that!

4. Goofy + 3

Goofy + 3 <font color=red>DDC 400<br><font color=purple>Reme

I'm sitting in the linai (sp?) at my mom's house in Florida overlooking the pond and the 13th green in their retirement complex. It's a short par 4 with water to the right and a grass bunker protecting the short pin placement today. It has seen it's share of birdies today. Although I'm stuck working all day, I could get used to this.

5. Goofy + 3

I saw the pictures of the waffles and the word "staycation" before I looked to see who posted that. I thought, "hmm.. this looks like a Norm creation." I was right.

6. mm1971

mm1971 DIS Veteran

Yup! Absolutely crazy. What are you going to do if the park closes at 10? :rotfl2::rotfl2: Dinner at Ohana and back to bed. It is a good excuse to get there though, so I'm with ya.:thumbsup2

7. SouthernTaz

SouthernTaz DDC #???

oh, we will know for sure before we head down!!! already have another reservation at Ohana later in the trip (that can be kept or canceled :confused3 )

8. cj9200

cj9200 DIS Dad #412

Happened to look at the Port Canaveral Cam and there appears to be a large fire off in the distance. They reported brush fires in the area, wonder if this is one of them.

http://portcanaveralwebcam.com

EDITED: Found on Brevard News that it is a brush fire near the Cape. No immediate threat to the Cape so they are letting it burn out. Interesting video though.

9. AirGoofy

AirGoofy DIS Dad#341

Sounds good. I'll message you a few weeks before that.

Thanks. They were.

Thanks. I made enough for 5 waffles. They are also good with nutella and fruit for lunch (like at Sleepy Hollow).

I don't understand these words - last Disney trip for a few years - :confused3

Sounds like a great idea. We did the 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM at Epcot, but never saw the sunrise in the parks.

Sounds like a great view and great place to retire. How far from WDW?

Maybe it's another Carnival boat on fire.

10. Goofy + 3

I think it's about 2 or 3 hours. Port Charlotte, FL. Mom's place backs up to I-75, but with the fountains running you don't hear it too much.

11. Captain_Oblivious

Captain_Oblivious DIS Dad #257

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

12. Goofy + 3

The view just got better. I just watched a hawk divebomb a fish. Circle of life, baby.

13. afwdwfan

afwdwfan DIS Dad #460

Norm wins the internet today. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

14. Cinderella's Fella

Cinderella's Fella DIS Dad #215 Maryland, The Land Of Merry!

Again?!?

15. Twin Dad

Twin Dad DIS Dad #704

Don't encourage him.

16. Twin Dad

Twin Dad DIS Dad #704

I saw a small hawk dive bomb a barn swallow on a power line. That was fun to watch.

17. AirGoofy

AirGoofy DIS Dad#341

DW seems to have voted down the camper in CJ's front yard as a retirement location. So, I am trying to narrow down some locations. I want to be within a couple hours of WDW, preferably close to a beach.

:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2

I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip the wait staff.

18. cj9200

cj9200 DIS Dad #412

We went there a couple of times including "Trainer for a Day" program. That took a big hit on the wallet. Last time was a few years ago. We got there at opening and stayed most of the day. Don't bring sunscreen because they provide an environmentally friendly one. You are greeted, sign in and are given a personal tour of the front of the park. They provide a wet suit and a locker to store your stuff. You get an expanded continental breakfast and are given the run of the park.

When it is time for the dolphin swim (which we did early), you meet in the designated area and are assigned a trainer and taken to a cabana with a group of about 10 people. They give you do's and don'ts. For instance, no jewelry unless it is a wedding band that won't come off. The experience is cool with a fair amount of interaction with the dolphin. Be prepared to buy the photo package they sell.

Lots of stuff to do and DD loved it. The stingrays were a big hit. You also get lunch and when it was owned by Bush, FREE BEER. Not sure if the beer is free anymore. I let the kid run around to play with the stingrays and had a few.

Attendance is limited and it isn't crowded at all. Food was a little better than OK. The animal interaction is very good. Expensive but it was worth it for us. She loved the animals and had a blast.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

They also had a dolphin named CJ and when we did the Trainer for a Day, they brought him out to meet us. If he is still there, tell him I said hello. Here he is.
    [​IMG]

Two thumbs up with a Z snap.

19. RodBelding

RodBelding <font color=red>DIS Dad #589<br><font color=royalb

Evening guys.

20. wasnotafan

wasnotafan All that fresh air over the years has done me good

Still CRUD. Of the 9 other people on the grant I am writing, I have only had input from 2. :headache: Whose name should be first? :rotfl2: People haven't given me what I need so I am going to wrap it up and will actually get this in sooner than I planned! :thumbsup2

Assuming I can get the document formatted properly. :headache::headache: but I think that is a project for tomorrow. [​IMG]

I've heard there are a few new UT fans joining. Welcome! I graduated from UTK more years ago than I care to remember. [​IMG]

21. Wherem I Now

Wherem I Now DIS Dad #30

Ridiculously busy week at work. Five projects, all requiring my time. A major customer meeting to prepare for Thursday and a demo for another customer Thursday night. I need an assistant...

On top of that, this morning I had to clean up the mess that one of the neighborhood bears left after knocking over the trash cans last night.

Now to go back a few pages and figure out what I've been missing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.