DDC XXIV - What Bacon Shortage? We're Full Of It!

Discussion in 'DIS Dads' started by Cinderella's Fella, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RodBelding

RodBelding <font color=red>DIS Dad #589<br><font color=royalb

Never stayed there, but we go over quite a bit. It's a pretty cool area, with some neat campground activities. The transportation is ok, there's a boat dock for MK, and the contemporary, besides the regular busses. Getting from your spot to those locations is the issue though, and where the need for a golf cart comes in.

I'd like to stay someday. Need to convince DW though.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. AirGoofy

AirGoofy DIS Dad#341

Never stayed there, but I would. You have a bus route, or the best is a direct boat launch that takes you to MK. They are also on CR, FW, & WL boat route. I've eaten at Trail's End, and it is a good buffet with cheapest buffet prices. The resort is really big, and it would be quite a walk, depending on where you get to park RV. Maybe others can help there.

4. afwdwfan

afwdwfan DIS Dad #460

My sister has a gluten allergy, and got very, very sick last week. I'll share something she learned from this experience.

She always loves going to Disney World, because they are very good about providing good gluten free alternatives. She can really eat better there than she can at most other places. She loves getting cheeseburgers at Disney World because she can eat them with an actual bun. The problem turned out to be french fries. They told her they could make gluten free fries, and they were fried in their own dedicated fryer. She ate this meal for the first day or 2 of the trip before getting very sick with a reaction to gluten, but she had no idea where she ate any. She was basically out of commission for about 2 days. Her first day back at the parks, we were in EPCOT. She went to the US pavillion for lunch and apparently the manager there has a better understanding of gluten allergies. She told my sister that they do have gluten free fries, and they're fried in their own dedicated fryer, but Disney re-uses their oil, so the oil in that fryer was probably used on the regular fries yesterday.

So, tell her to be cautious about ordering anything fried from a counter service restaurant. My sister felt confident that table service meals were safe, because the chef would always come out and talk to her and she could tell they understood the situation. At counter service places, it was always just a manager with a separate menu that showed what was or wasn't considered gluten free, so we're pretty certain that was how she got the cross-contamination, especially after hearing that oil story when she wanted to order fries.

5. AirGoofy

AirGoofy DIS Dad#341

Actually, that is from DW. I'll have to ask her.

Package bacon.
    Whole green beans (I always used canned)
    8 oz. Catalina dressing (some prefer French)

Slice package of bacon in half.
    Select/slice Green beans to be slightly longer that width of bacon.
    Roll 3 Green beans in 1/2 slice bacon.
    Stab bundle with toothpick.
    Put in baking dish.
    After all bundles in dish, season with salt/pepper.
    Pour Dressing over bundles.
    Cover and store in refrigerator overnight.
    Cook in oven at 375 for 20 minutes. Flip bundles. Cook another 20-25 minutes until bacon is done.

I think crock part will do well to keep warm, but would be worried about it cooking bacon all the way thru. Raw pork is not good.

Good luck. Sounds like it's time to take another day off.

Sorry to hear about the shift. Hope it's not permanent.

that is a real nightmare.

6. Cinderella's Fella

Cinderella's Fella DIS Dad #215 Maryland, The Land Of Merry!

Thanks Norm, page one has been updated.

7. AirGoofy

AirGoofy DIS Dad#341

Houston has some explaining to do. Indy may catch them after all.

:thumbsup2

Nah,just put socks on.

8. that's nice

that's nice DIS Dad #330

Hope you guys had a good weekend. Just stopping in to say hi. :wave2:

9. AirGoofy

AirGoofy DIS Dad#341

I have a picture somewhere. Let me find it.

Here is the Hillbilly dumplings recipe.

Big pot.
    2 boxes (4 cans) of chicken broth
    2 cups of water
    Stick of butter
    garlic salt & pepper
    Wampum biscuits (the ones in a four pack you wamp on the countertop to open)
    Add chicken if you got money. (if raw chicken, boil until chicken is done and then break up chicken)

Mix everything together except biscuits.
    Bring to boil. reduce heat.
    Pinch dough from raw biscuit dime or nickel size, roll, drop in pot. All four cans.
    Simmer and occasionally stir until biscuits are done.

10. cj9200

cj9200 DIS Dad #412

Happy Birthday Lauren.

Years ago we camped at FW in a Tent. We rented a golf cart and were glad we did. It is a big place. If you want one, reserve it as soon as you can because they get snapped up quickly. I'm not sure how far in advance you can save one. Other than going to MK by water, transportation is sometimes challenging.

While you don't need the comfort stations they are clean and well maintained. There are tons of stuff to do at the resort. The campfire and movie with Chip and Dale is fun. Bring your own marshmallows for smores or you can buy them there ($) As Norm mentioned, Trail's End is a good "Disney" bargain. You can also go to the waterfront and see the water parade. Not sure about pools because when we were there, River Country was still open. The kid's first real water slide.

I liked the overall atmosphere. It was quiet and you are in the woods so animals may pop over to say hi. If you are there at Halloween or Christmas, the guests go all out to decorate their sites. I enjoyed just walking around.

Let me know if you have any other questions and there is a camping forum on the boards.

11. Twin Dad

Twin Dad DIS Dad #704

Thanks for the heads up. DW has suspected for months but just got confirmed about two weeks ago. She has a meeting with the doc tonight to find out how severe. We cut way back on flour awhile ago so our big thing is reading labels of stuff like barbeque sauce to make sure it is OK. We found out the Noodle & Company is really good about watching cross contamination. They'll be getting more of our business in the future.

12. Twin Dad

Twin Dad DIS Dad #704

Thanks for the input guys. I looked and we can rent carts up to a year out. I'll check in with the camping board. I've found that this is the best place to on the whole board to get an answer without anyone getting their panties in a bunch.

13. Captain_Oblivious

Captain_Oblivious DIS Dad #257

I've stayed at Fort Wilderness a couple of times. It's a great place to stay. There are a lot of activities (the other guys have mentioned many of them) and the boat ride to MK is nice as well.

Unofficial Guide nailed it--the downside is transportation. If you rely on the Disney bus system, you'll have to plan on a lot of travel time. You'll be using both the internal bus system in the campground as well as the usual bus system between resorts and the parks, and you'll have to transfer from one to the other. It can be a bit confusing and a pain, but if you allow yourself enough time you should be fine.

14. afwdwfan

afwdwfan DIS Dad #460

I don't know if you have any nearby, but Jimmy Buffett's restaurants (Cheeseburger in Paradise and Margaritaville) have good gluten free menus as well. We have a Cheeseburger in Paradise nearby and my sister loves it.

15. wasnotafan

wasnotafan All that fresh air over the years has done me good

Early going away potluck for my assistant today and ate way too much. Hate to see her go but it is a wise career move for her. I was going to try and get some work done this afternoon and get closer to being caught up but feeling a need for a nap and since SWMBO and Jr. SWMBO are off to Girl Scouts I'm calling it an day for now though I will probably be back in once the kids go to bed. I get more done in an hour when nobody is in the building than in a full morning when everyone is around.

16. wasnotafan

wasnotafan All that fresh air over the years has done me good

:cheer2::cheer2:Happy Birthday Lauren!:cheer2::cheer2:

17. RodBelding

I love the Margaritaville in Vegas!

18. Goofy + 3

Goofy + 3 <font color=red>DDC 400<br><font color=purple>Reme

I ate there last time I was in town! Barbecue Bacon Cheeseburger and a Margarita (rocks, no salt).

19. RodBelding

Big fan of their nachos... The margaritas are also delicious.:thumbsup2

20. Twin Dad

Twin Dad DIS Dad #704

Nothing by us. There are, however more and more places who have a gluten free menu. Plus the online resources that say which ones make an honest effort and which just pay lip service to being gluten free.

21. theduck619

theduck619 DIS Dad #188

Evening guys :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.