DCP Questions

NoelleofArendelle

Earning My Ears
Hello! I'm interested in the DCP and am trying to get all the information I can! I have many questions, and if anyone can help me I'd be grateful:
  • I'm a naturally shy person, but I'm trying to force myself out of my shell. I work at a busy bakery and cafe in town (we also cater many weddings and events so I have experience serving in both settings) and have improved greatly. I get nervous and awkward, but am trying to overcome these setbacks. Would this be a problem? I'm also worried about the phone call (if I get to that stage) and am afraid I'll mess up and ruin my chances. Is it possible for someone like myself to get accepted and thrive in such a setting?
  • I also dread the idea of being alone. I know you're assigned roommates, but I have a difficult time breaking the ice and meeting new people. Is it easy to make friends? I'd certainly love to!
  • I've read about the various roles offered, and wonder what would fit someone like me? I've considered a role in the food department since I have some experience there. Is there any possibility of getting into a cafe or bakery type setting? Just curious. I've thought about merchandise/retail sales clerk, housekeeping, front desk, custodial, park greeter, and main entrance operations. Has anyone had experience in these roles and what tips and suggestions do you have?
  • How much is a typical paycheck? Is it enough to live off of? Extra cash to spend if desired?
  • I don't have a car so are the buses easy enough to use while there? And is it possible to get lost or is everything easy to navigate?
  • And for classes, I read that it's possible to take online courses from your college while there and they'll set aside time for you to study and get the work done. Is that true?
I'd like to aim for fall 2016! I think it would be a great opportunity and experience, and I'd like to apply when they're accepting applications! Any other tips, suggestions, and stories of your experiences are welcome! Thank you!

It sounds like you're doing fine at the bakery, so shyness shouldn't be an issue. I'm a shy person and was nervous when I first started at Disney but I got over it. It will make a difference during the phone interview though. You want to sound confident in yourself and your answers, so be sure to practice.

You're free to sign up for online classes, but it's up to you to manage your time.

Honestly I would say to just go for it and give it your all. I was very shy before my program as well but it is extremely easy to make friends. Everyone there is going through the exact same things you are. As for the role you choose, I would recommend you read about each one and try to find blogs about them. There are plenty online that go into detail about each one. Taking an online course while you are there is going to be difficult as you work long days that can and will go into late nights/early mornings. Disney offers transportation if you don't have a car but you will need to prepare to be early for each bus as they will not wait for anyone.

Overall, the college program was the best thing I ever did and I learned so much about myself! I hope everything works out for you!

Hello! I'm interested in the DCP and am trying to get all the information I can! I have many questions, and if anyone can help me I'd be grateful:
  • I'm a naturally shy person, but I'm trying to force myself out of my shell. I work at a busy bakery and cafe in town (we also cater many weddings and events so I have experience serving in both settings) and have improved greatly. I get nervous and awkward, but am trying to overcome these setbacks. Would this be a problem? I'm also worried about the phone call (if I get to that stage) and am afraid I'll mess up and ruin my chances. Is it possible for someone like myself to get accepted and thrive in such a setting?
  • I also dread the idea of being alone. I know you're assigned roommates, but I have a difficult time breaking the ice and meeting new people. Is it easy to make friends? I'd certainly love to!
  • I've read about the various roles offered, and wonder what would fit someone like me? I've considered a role in the food department since I have some experience there. Is there any possibility of getting into a cafe or bakery type setting? Just curious. I've thought about merchandise/retail sales clerk, housekeeping, front desk, custodial, park greeter, and main entrance operations. Has anyone had experience in these roles and what tips and suggestions do you have?
  • How much is a typical paycheck? Is it enough to live off of? Extra cash to spend if desired?
  • I don't have a car so are the buses easy enough to use while there? And is it possible to get lost or is everything easy to navigate?
  • And for classes, I read that it's possible to take online courses from your college while there and they'll set aside time for you to study and get the work done. Is that true?
I'd like to aim for fall 2016! I think it would be a great opportunity and experience, and I'd like to apply when they're accepting applications! Any other tips, suggestions, and stories of your experiences are welcome! Thank you!

Hey! I did the program Fall of 2013 in merchandise.

1. I think working at a bakery you'll be fine, particularly in a food and beverage or merchandise setting. However, it can get insanely busy, moreso than you might be used to. I was still a bit awkward when talking to guests but if you can be kind and answer their questions then you'll do fine. If you love disney it's pretty easy to have a conversation with people about their vacation. The phone call be scary if you hate talking on the phone, but just make sure you sound confident in yourself even if you don't know what you're really saying.

2. I met all my roommates on facebook and linked up beforehand. We got to know each other relatively well and knew what to expect, it's always going to be awkward at first, but you'll bond within the first week over the experience. It took longer with the 2 random Australian roommates we got assigned with but within a couple weeks we all got along and went out together. I was friends with all my coworkers and even those who I went to traditions with, we were all excited so it's easy to start a conversation.

3. Since you work at a bakery, food and beverage might work but it's pretty grueling and a lot of the time you're in the back. I worked/work at a library and I could never handle doing food. I ended up with merchandise which I enjoyed immensely. The bakery at Streets of American in Hollywood is merchandise and the bakery at Magic Kingdom is also merchandise so that is something to consider. Park Greeter/ticket falls into category with main entrance which could put you into trams and parking, something to think about since you don't get a choice. You can always request a park that you'd like to be in if you had something specific in mind, but it won't guarantee you'll get placed there. I went into merchandise with zero register training and no retail experience and really enjoyed it. Some stores you'll get swamped and others will be slow, if you're ok in both environments you'll be fine. Your coworkers will usually try and help you out if you need it (particularly CPs).

4. CPs now get paid about $9.50 an hour (some more) and work 40 hours a week. That's $380 and rent falls between $90-$110 a week in the complexes. Just add whatever your other expenses are to figure out how much you're coming out with at the end of a week. You get paid every 2 weeks. Extra cash might be hard to do, I definitely suggest saving some money to take. I left with less than I went in with, but I expected that and saved accordingly to have a good time. Some weeks you may also only get scheduled for 32 hours or up to 60 hours, plan for that. You can pick up and get rid of shifts sometimes.

5. The buses are hit and miss, somethings they run late/early, break down, don't show, etc. Ultimately people suggest showing up for the bus that's at least 1 ahead of the one you really need incase it doesn't show up at all or breaks down and you need time to get to work because they won't excuse being late for bus issues. I think it's easy to navigate once you go around a few times. The complex is really close to property, and property is really easy to get around especially with the signs. Sometimes traffic late at night or in the morning is hectic, but everything is pretty straight shot.

6. When you get your program guide there should be a section for classes and it'll give you info how to do this. You'll send an email to disney with a screenshot of your classes and the designated time you want for classes once a week. They can't schedule you for work at these times. Mine was 8-noon on Tuesdays.

I loved my program and I was pretty shy. It really made me step out into the world and I learned a LOT and made so many friends that I absolutely still talk to daily. They've become my best friends. Go for it, it's worth it!

4. CPs now get paid about $9.50 an hour (some more) and work 40 hours a week. That's $380 and rent falls between $90-$110 a week in the complexes. Just add whatever your other expenses are to figure out how much you're coming out with at the end of a week. You get paid every 2 weeks. Extra cash might be hard to do, I definitely suggest saving some money to take. I left with less than I went in with, but I expected that and saved accordingly to have a good time. Some weeks you may also only get scheduled for 32 hours or up to 60 hours, plan for that. You can pick up and get rid of shifts sometimes.

Correction: You get paid every week. (Remember EPCOT: Every Paycheck Comes on Thursday)

Has anyone done DCP while in graduate school? Is that even possible?

I'm not 100% sure on this (but I did kind of look into it - I have not done the DCP) and yes you can do the DCP while attending graduate school. However, on the website it kind of leans against it, since they see the DCP as a learning experience (like undergrad is) versus graduate school is honing/refining your skills.

Thanks to all who replied! Great information that I'll definitely keep in mind! As for the roles, I know they choose where I work, but give you the option of listing which roles you prefer. I've taken an interest in housekeeping. I like to clean and am very orderly and detailed in my work. Cleaning is one of my favorite chores at my job now, and I find it relaxing. Though all I've read about housekeeping (I find little information) everyone seems to complain and dislike it. I don't want others opinions to dissuade me, and I know even if I showed interest in the role it's not guaranteed I'd get it, but does anyone have any information on housekeeping? Thank you!

I've never been a housekeeper, but I've worked in resorts enough to know that Housekeeping is probably the toughest job in a resort. Both in terms of the physical demands (bending, lifting, kneeling, scrubbing), as well as the pressures of having a full schedule of rooms to clean, and a strict deadline of when you have to be finished.

I know people that have loved housekeeping, and people that have hated it.

I've never been a housekeeper, but I've worked in resorts enough to know that Housekeeping is probably the toughest job in a resort. Both in terms of the physical demands (bending, lifting, kneeling, scrubbing), as well as the pressures of having a full schedule of rooms to clean, and a strict deadline of when you have to be finished.

I know people that have loved housekeeping, and people that have hated it.
I bet! I'm sure it's a demanding job. I'm used to cleaning. I work at a cafe and bakery, but aside from taking orders it's a very physical job. I'm on my feet for hours, the most being a fifteen hour day (working at the shop and then working as a waitress at one of the many events we cater to), lifting heavy objects, and cleaning (not as much as those who work housekeeping, of course, but a lot more than one might think). Actually, my jeans are faded in the knee from all of the bending and kneeling I do at work, lol. I guess my worry would be the deadline and falling behind, and the repercussions of that. I'm used to working on a time restraint and under stress too, but I'm not sure how much time they give you exactly. That's something I'd like to know! Thank you for the information though!

I don't have a car or a driver's license, but I'm also interested in Main Entrance Operations. I know there are different jobs, but is driving a requirement or can you work the other roles in MEO? And does anyone have information on MEO and would be willing to share? I wouldn't mind a role in Merchandise either! Or if someone's worked a role and would like to share their experience I'd love to hear about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter