DCL Wine Package

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by CMM MOM, Feb 24, 2012.

1. mawhite424

mawhite424 Mouseketeer

Yes, we did the same thing. I also don't remember the price being different (though I could be wrong) when we ordered it on the ship during the first night's dinner. We bought the 3 night package for a 7 night cruise, and we even upgraded to the 4 night package without an penalty when we (ahem) finished the 3 bottles prior to the end of the cruise!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jelliott04

jelliott04 DIS Veteran

Jerry, I looked on the Iron Horse website and see that this is rose in color? Is it a sweet sparkling wine or dry?

J

4. avinsmomma

avinsmomma Earning My Ears

Does the corking fee apply if you bring your own wine and keep it in your room? I enjoy a glass in the evening but not with dinner.

5. DynamicDisneyDuo

DynamicDisneyDuo DIS Veteran

Nope. Only if the bottle/bag/box/whatever is taken to the dining room.

6. penel3

penel3 Disney World Addict since 1994

Our server on our 5 night Western Carribean, January 14th told us automatically that we could purchase 3, 4 or 5 night bottle wine package. Thankfully, we only bought a 4 night because we had trouble finishing it all.....but we did it! LOL

7. GoHabsGo

GoHabsGo Mouseketeer

FWIW - we purchased a 7 day package for a 4 night cruise. DW prefers white while I prefer red. Some nights we didn't finish our bottles so we started out with it the next night. Some nights, we took the "leftovers" to sit on the verandah and enjoy. Some nights we ran through the leftovers, went through the next bottle and considered starting a new one.

Somehow ;) we ran out on the last night and I had to order cocktails...

We'll probably order a 7 and 3 day package for our upcoming 7 nighter...

SLIDCT (sorry liver, it's Disney Cruise time)

8. KalleAnka

KalleAnka Earning My Ears

Can you only use the wine package at dinner in the dining rooms? Or can you also use it at lunch in the buffet?

9. msbiscuit

msbiscuit Mouseketeer

I was approached during embarkation lunch and asked if I'd like to buy one of the wine packages. I was on a 6 night repositioning cruise, so I bought the 3 night package. (Don't I sound like a prim little wine sipper??? :lmao:)
    I was handed a brochure that listed all the wines available in both regular and premium packages and was happy with what was offered in the regular package. It was $84. (I enjoyed the Murphy Goode Savignon Blanc so much that I looked for it at the local wine shops and it seems DCL has bought up the stock! :sad2:)
    The bottle followed me around from Palo to the MDRs, even at brunch and lunch.
    Being a pretty pedestrian wine drinker, this worked well for me. A couple I was seated with at dinner purchased the premium package and would study the wine selections every night at dinner and they seemed happy, as well.

10. EricaG

EricaG Mouseketeer

On our 5-nt last May on the Dream, we purchased the 3 night package for our 5 nt cruise, and that ended up being the perfect amount for us--drank about 3/4 of a bottle or so between the two of us each night at dinner. They save the wine for you in the back and will bring it to you in whichever restaurant you are in the next night!

We had not considered doing it before we got on the ship, but our servers brought it up on the first night, showed us the list, explained that we could indeed do a package that was shorter than the actual cruise, etc.

So, if you're getting conflicting info. regarding whether you can purchase a package that is fewer nights than your cruise, maybe you could just wait and decide at your first night of dinner? I think what we paid by getting the package on the first night was exactly the same as booking in advance.

11. honeymo78

honeymo78 Don't dream it, be it

Incorrect

We have also purchased a 3 night plan while on a 7 night sailing. This was in Sept 2012.

12. jelliott04

jelliott04 DIS Veteran

You are correct. We are just off the Fantasy on Feb 16th and you can purchase any # you want.

13. Silver Queen

Silver Queen DIS Veteran

Agreed. We were on the January 12 Fantasy Eastern and purchased a 5 bottle premium package for a 7 night cruise. At the last dinner we shared the fifth bottle (a sparkling wine) with our table mates as a celebration (we loved our table mates!). We would have preferred a champagne, but there wasn't one on the list. We did not have to choose all of the wines when we ordered the package, but chose wines that complimented our entrees during the cruise. The process was very smooth and we'd do it again.

14. manhattanman

manhattanman Mouseketeer

When you say locally, I presume you mean from a liquor store or wine merchant, not another restaurant, correct ?

The 41 dollars a bottle also gives you the opportunity to avoid corkage fees. sure you could get the same bottle of wine cheaper somewhere else, but not many landlocked restaurants would let you bring in your own wine and not charge corkage. with restaurant mark up of wine being about 100% ( depending on the market) I dont think you "lost" much on anything on them ( this is with the assumption that you are getting the bottles retail).

If you want middle of the road wines, I think its pretty much a wash if you consider the cost + corkage. If I get a 20 dollar bottle of norman and then have the 20 dollar corkage that's not all that far off from the 41. I think the only time it makes sense is for exceptional wines where the difference between the retail cost and the cost in a restaurant is in great excess of the 20 dollar corkage fee. like a 100 dollar bottle that would be 120 with corkage vs 200 if bought on the ship ( assuming the markups are the same)

15. CrystalSpice

CrystalSpice Earning My Ears

Ditto!

16. MDennis28

MDennis28 Mouseketeer

Great info. Now I am thirsty ;-) If I have a favorite wine not listed anywhere, can I request it be stocked and included in my wine package?

17. EllinK

EllinK Mouseketeer

On our two previous trips we took wine. Bought it in Vancouver when we went to AK and brought it from home when we went to MR. Knew it would be a hassle to get it to FL but nothing on the wine list is speaking to me. So, I think I will put together a 6 pack of red, white and champagne (we have a great collection of our own) and check it with our luggage. Now I'm looking forward to choosing those bottles...

18. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

You can check it for the plane, but you will need to repack it into a carryon to bring it onboard.

19. m4travel

m4travel <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ DIS Lifetime Sponsor

No, but you can bring it on board and simply pay the corkage fee to have it served at your table.

20. BoosGram

BoosGram Better than a candygram....I tink, therefore I am.

To add to this, DH and I were on the Dream recently and did a 4 & 3 nt. back-to-back. On the first day we purchased a 3-bottle order and were able to carry it over from the first cruise to the second (we drank about half a bottle at dinner...wine lightweights, I know!). They seem to be very obliging about the packages.

21. honeymo78

honeymo78 Don't dream it, be it

That is great to hear. We are doing back to backs for our next 3 cruises and figured we wouldn't be getting a wine package at all as we don't drink a full bottle each night.