DCL removing Arcades from ships?

Hubby and I have an ongoing Air Hockey battle, and we try to play anywhere we find a table... but the few times we checked out the arcades on the ships, they've always seemed kinda dark, and uninviting. I rarely see kids in there, and I honestly don't blame them... why play something they can find in the mall at home, when there are so many cooler ship activities!

Uh, it's an arcade so it kinda has to be dark.

Actually, that was one of the reasons that Walt wanted to make his own theme park... he hated the seediness of the amusement parks and fairs at the time. I think the whole dinoland area (as well as paradise pier at DCA) would just make him cringe. He didn't want Ferris wheels, scam games, etc.

I couldn't agree more. The reason Disney has always been a special company, is they have always been guided by Walt's vision. This makes them unique in the industry. If they get farther and farther away from what he imagined, they'll become just another entertainment company. I, for one, would hate to see that happen.

Disney did remove the ticket/prize system in their resort arcades. I was at Riverside last week. It used to be an automatic prize dispenser but it was removed to my girls' disappointment. You no longer get tickets for any game, just for the pure entertainment. Yes, the arcade was pretty dead compares to prior years.

Personally, I hope they aren't adding an ice cream place IF it's an extra charge type of place. My biggest gripe about our cruise on the NCL Breakaway was everywhere you turned it was another place to nickel-and-dime you. I'm afraid this would be the start of a similar trend. Granted, if you don't want to pay for ice cream, you just don't go in, but it really just changes the atmosphere of the ship, IMO.

No one here knows for sure. But it's speculated that the "ice cream" in the extra pay venue will be a more upscale variety. So, general thought seems to be that the generic soft-serve (non-dairy) "ice cream" will probably still be available.

Extra Pay????

Personally, I hope they aren't adding an ice cream place IF it's an extra charge type of place. My biggest gripe about our cruise on the NCL Breakaway was everywhere you turned it was another place to nickel-and-dime you. I'm afraid this would be the start of a similar trend. Granted, if you don't want to pay for ice cream, you just don't go in, but it really just changes the atmosphere of the ship, IMO.

Reports are this is what is happening -- items for purchase -- on the Disney Dream. From the Disney Parks Blog: "Handmade gelato and ice cream, an assortment of candy, and delectable novelty treats are some of the deliciousness available for purchase at Vanellope’s Sweets & Treats."

Not all soft serves are created equal. The same as cartons of ice cream in the grocery store cold case!! Have you ever read the list of ingredients on some of those cartons????

http://www.forbes.com
Has a GREAT ARTICLE about soft serve and its ingredients and most do contain dairy!!

Yes 99% of all self serve has dairy, real dairy like milk. The only soft serve that I know of that doesn't is Dole Soft Serve aka Dole Whip. I think the PP was making more of a comment that soft serve, like at Dairy Queen etc, is all artificial and not dairy based.

I'm going to assume the new Ice Cream place is going to serve hand dripped ice cream. But hopefully not for what goes for Ice Cream in stores to day.

Yes 99% of all self serve has dairy, real dairy like milk. The only soft serve that I know of that doesn't is Dole Soft Serve aka Dole Whip. I think the PP was making more of a comment that soft serve, like at Dairy Queen etc, is all artificial and not dairy based.

I'm going to assume the new Ice Cream place is going to serve hand dripped ice cream. But hopefully not for what goes for Ice Cream in stores to day.

I wonder if they'll get rid of the hand scooped ice cream in cabanas with meals? Or if this will be even "more premium"? Because personally, I'll tell my kids they can just get scooped ice cream in cabanas (or the soft serve on deck).

The arcade in our local mall closed down recently. As has been stated, arcade games can't compare with the latest home video games and on-line gamming. You can play home video games for hours......or you can play a video game for 3 minutes for a dollar in an arcade.

I would have stopped in to play a few games if they didn't cost anything. I do know they did kids programming in there and also an adults air hockey tournament.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter