DCL removing Arcades from ships?

Interesting because they have also removed arcades from the parks like the one at Space Mountain.

I'm assuming coin op arcades are a thing of the past with everyone having better consoles in their homes. Though thought they would have been gone years ago.

Did they have ticket games, I thought I heard that they were now illegal in Florida due to some overreaching anti gambling law.

Last edited:

Honestly, my video game loving teenage son has never stepped foot in a DCL arcade on the 4 cruises we have sailed as far as I know. It appears from Scott's post that they didn't get much use, as the arcade is also being elimanated on the Dream.

As a teenager on family camping trips we wouldn't make reservations at campgrounds.

In fact our WDW trip to FW was the only trip I remember needing them. But anyway we would figure out where we would be and had a telephone book size Campground directory where since I was the map reader I got to see what campgrounds were around the area. My sister and I would always look for the little mark in the "Arcade" column, my mother always wanted flush toilets :) , though some arcades were a pinball game and one of those shuffle board like bowling games.

It is also scheduled to be removed from the Dream to make the candy shop. We walked through and, while there were kids using the machines, it wasn't very welcoming.

I hope so, nothing irritates me more than an attempt at luring the children to spend more money than you have already spent with video games. On the same note my biggest pet peeve is the carnival games like the ones in the Dinosaur area of Animal Kingdom, those almost make me want to avoid the whole area.

I hope so, nothing irritates me more than an attempt at luring the children to spend more money than you have already spent with video games. On the same note my biggest pet peeve is the carnival games like the ones in the Dinosaur area of Animal Kingdom, those almost make me want to avoid the whole area.
How do you feel about trying to lure them in with candy? :laughing:

Honestly, my video game loving teenage son has never stepped foot in a DCL arcade on the 4 cruises we have sailed as far as I know. It appears from Scott's post that they didn't get much use, as the arcade is also being elimanated on the Dream.

Hubby and I have an ongoing Air Hockey battle, and we try to play anywhere we find a table... but the few times we checked out the arcades on the ships, they've always seemed kinda dark, and uninviting. I rarely see kids in there, and I honestly don't blame them... why play something they can find in the mall at home, when there are so many cooler ship activities!

Actually, that was one of the reasons that Walt wanted to make his own theme park... he hated the seediness of the amusement parks and fairs at the time. I think the whole dinoland area (as well as paradise pier at DCA) would just make him cringe. He didn't want Ferris wheels, scam games, etc.

I'm sure the revenue generation from the candy/ice cream shop is going to be much higher than the arcade.

I know I'll spend more there!

It is also scheduled to be removed from the Dream to make the candy shop. We walked through and, while there were kids using the machines, it wasn't very welcoming.

I have been on the Dream twice, and I don't ever remembering seeing an arcade. Where was it? I guess I am just oblivious! ;-)

ETA: I vaguely recall reading about it, but I still haven't seen it!

I'm assuming coin op arcades are a thing of the past with everyone having better consoles in their homes.

Doesn't seem to bug any kid I personally know.

Did they have ticket games, I thought I heard that they were now illegal in Florida due to some overreaching anti gambling law.

No ticket games.

Then why was the one on Dream always packed when we went in there? And we cruise at "off" times, not sold out ships as far as I could tell, but there was always a wait for the games.

And, by the way, packed with kids.

I hope so, nothing irritates me more than an attempt at luring the children to spend more money than you have already spent with video games.

I used to feel that way until I Put myself into my son's (and husband's) shoes. These are things they ENJOY. If I get to do things I enjoy, why can't they? And the fact of the matter is, the ONE mall in my area that has an arcade? I never go there. It's creepy and weird there. There's no other place that really has an arcade. So I finally opened up and lightened up, made time and money available for those things, and watched my son and husband's enjoyment increase. Win win situation!

I think the whole dinoland area (as well as paradise pier at DCA) would just make him cringe. He didn't want Ferris wheels, scam games, etc.

We haven't played the ones at Dinoland, but the ones at DCA are hardly scam games. Just time it right and someone in your family is GOING to win something. Pay a few bucks, get a cute stuffie. Have some fun, make a memory, get a souvenir. Awesome.

I have been on the Dream twice, and I don't ever remembering seeing an arcade. Where was it?

Right outside the entrance to cabanas; facing the entrance it was to the right. I truly cannot remember if cabanas is forward or aft so I can't tell you what entrance that was.

Might have been dark, but for us it was always packed. My son is seriously going to miss it. Where else can he pretend to be a flying ace in London during WW2?

We were on the Magic two weeks ago. Edge is going to be relocated from Deck 2 into the top decks and I think they said that is the space it is going into.

Right outside the entrance to cabanas; facing the entrance it was to the right. I truly cannot remember if cabanas is forward or aft so I can't tell you what entrance that was.
Cabanas in the aft of deck 11. There are two entrances, one on each side of Nemo's Reef. The starboard side entrance (right side of ship as you face forward) is where the Arcade is - just before the entrance just past Nemo's Reef.

EDIT: error in deck number

Last edited:
They are getting rid of Disney Quest in downtown Disney, so it makes sense that they are going all in on the effort to remove them. Never much seen anyone playing them anyway on any time I stop by there.

Cabanas in the aft of deck 10. There are two entrances, one on each side of Nemo's Reef. The starboard side entrance (right side of ship as you face forward) is where the Arcade is - just before the entrance just past Nemo's Reef.

That must be why we didn't see it this trip (and maybe last time too). We always enter Cabanas from the opposite side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter