DCL questions

WDWlover89

Earning My Ears
Hi! My mom and I (I am 23) are are getting ready to book our first cruise ever on the Dream in Dec. we have a few questions and I would love to read everyone's ideas on each.

Ok, so we are looking at either a deluxe outside stateroom or a deluxe family stateroom because, for whatever reason, these are cheaper than the inside staterooms. Is there much of a difference between the two? Is there a certain deck we should try to stay on?

We are huge photographers and always have a camera on us, so how will that work when we are on the cruise? Will we need something waterproof for when we go to Castaway Cay so that our cameras won't be ruined? Along the same lines, what did you do with your KTTW card and other things when you wanted to go swimming or, again, were ashore?

I probably have more questions but these are the ones I'm thinking of right now. Since we are newbies we are a little nervous and unsure about how everything will work, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi! My mom and I (I am 23) are are getting ready to book our first cruise ever on the Dream in Dec. we have a few questions and I would love to read everyone's ideas on each.

Ok, so we are looking at either a deluxe outside stateroom or a deluxe family stateroom because, for whatever reason, these are cheaper than the inside staterooms. Is there much of a difference between the two? Is there a certain deck we should try to stay on? I believe the difference would be that the family oceanview may have more beds available (and maybe a bit larger). We prefer deck 2 when we cruise.

We are huge photographers and always have a camera on us, so how will that work when we are on the cruise? Will we need something waterproof for when we go to Castaway Cay so that our cameras won't be ruined? Along the same lines, what did you do with your KTTW card and other things when you wanted to go swimming or, again, were ashore? I always take a waterproof camera (bought at WalMart) for any water activities. Your KTTW card is plastic (like a credit card), it can get wet, as can your driver's license (I usually just stick mine in my swimsuit).

I probably have more questions but these are the ones I'm thinking of right now. Since we are newbies we are a little nervous and unsure about how everything will work, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!

See my answers in red

:cutie:

I would put my camera in a gallon baggie or other waterproof bag in case a rain storm pops up. We had one hit us this summer as the ship was leaving St. Thomas. They form quickly in that area.

PrincessShmoo-Thanks for your quick reply! Is there any certain reason why you like deck 2? I'm just curious because I've read that more people like higher decks.

Thanks for your quick reply! Is there any certain reason why you like deck 2? I'm just curious because I've read that more people like higher decks.

Well, we've only cruised on the Wonder & Magic (as well as a couple of of other ships that were the same size or smaller than those).

Lower & midship tends to move less in rough water (a consideration because DH gets seasick). Oceanviews on deck 2 tend to be cheaper. Location is great (one deck down to the tender lobby, 1 or 2 decks up to MDRs and theater, easier to get an elevator on the lower decks to go up to the pool deck).

The higher decks are nice for having a higher view, but we like deck 2. There are others, as you noted, that prefer the higher decks.

:cutie:

racingfandj said:
I would put my camera in a gallon baggie or other waterproof bag in case a rain storm pops up. We had one hit us this summer as the ship was leaving St. Thomas. They form quickly in that area.
That's a good idea. What did you do with your bag when you wanted to go swimming or something? Is there a place you can put them and not have to worry about it?

I don't know if I've ever felt less prepared for a vacation. So many questions! Lol. Sorry if some of them are a little stupid.

Deck 2--less movement, very convenient to restaurants, guest services, theaters. Great on port days--while others are waiting for elevators, you have to go up or down only one flight of stairs! Really, the only thing it isn't totally convenient to is the pool deck.

Ok, so we are looking at either a deluxe outside stateroom or a deluxe family stateroom because, for whatever reason, these are cheaper than the inside staterooms. Is there much of a difference between the two? Is there a certain deck we should try to stay on?

We are huge photographers and always have a camera on us, so how will that work when we are on the cruise? Will we need something waterproof for when we go to Castaway Cay so that our cameras won't be ruined? Along the same lines, what did you do with your KTTW card and other things when you wanted to go swimming or, again, were ashore?

I know they are bigger than the inside staterooms but I don't like being that low on the ship so I am not a good one to answer that question. I would rather had the inside cabin on a higher deck with the virtual porthole.

I keep my KTTW card in my lanyard. On my first cruise I just bought a lanyard as soon as the gift shop opened. I find it so much easier to wear it than to have to carry it in my pocket and sometimes I don't have a pocket to put it in. On Castaway Cay, we put our KTTW cards in our bag and we never had a problem with our items being bothered but we didn't leave them for long periods of time either. I have always used my regular camera on Castaway and it has never got damaged. I want good quality pics from there. So I take my regular camera because those are some of our best memories!! but to each his/her own! :goodvibes
Good Luck with your planning!!

If you are looking at the prices of the the Dream or Fantasy the inside cabins are very popular with the virtual porthole and since there are fewer inside cabins than oceanview and verandah cabins...they tend to sell quicker and thus go up in price (DCL bases their prices on a tier system...the price rises after a certain percentage of cabin are sold in a category).

So, oceanview cabins can be cheaper than insides on the newer ships. I love Deck 2 on all the ships (and have stayed on them). We have also been on higher decks and I, personally, have not found much difference in movement but some are more sensitive to movement.

The reason higher decks cost more stems from the perception that higher is better. Some will always think higher is better or just prefer higher decks and most of this comes from the old days of cruising when their were caste systems....first class was on higher decks, lower class passengers were in steerage. Thankfully location on the ship these days comes down to personal preference only....the people on higher decks are treated no differently or the decor is no different than people on the lower decks. The only exception to this, of course, would be concierge/suites.

So, book a cabin category that you like...no matter if it is lower or higher.

Also, a hint with the new ships....some of the best oceanview cabin in terms of square footage and space are the 9D's in the forward corners of decks 6, 7 and 8. They are huge!!! but with limited porthole view.

MJ

That's a good idea. What did you do with your bag when you wanted to go swimming or something? Is there a place you can put them and not have to worry about it?

I don't know if I've ever felt less prepared for a vacation. So many questions! Lol. Sorry if some of them are a little stupid.

Brookstone has camera bags that tether lock onto secure locations. They are well priced and the variety, size wise, or type, is vast. They even sell one that can be used with your existing bag. They are lockable, with a cable, and slash proof. I've spent beaucoup bucks on equipment and can't risk losing it on travels anywhere.

We have stayed on the Dream on an 4A Family Deluxe with Verandah. If it is only you and your Mum you would not need a 4A Deluxe Family.

We stayed on Deck10 because it has an overhang from Deck 11 which means we can sit out when it Rains. It is great having somewhere to sit in the Evening.

Not everyone likes Deck10 as they say you can sometimes hear noise from the Pool areas on Deck11, we have never heard any but I do believe certain rooms may be Noisy.

Deck 11 has the Pools and Quick service food areas, the Buffet restaurant and Drink fountains so a lot of Cruisers like only being a few floors down from here because they like to be able to pop up for food or a Drink.

If I was a first timer I would pick Deck 6/7/8/9. This is only my opinion and I believe many like the Aft Rooms on Deck 5 as some have bigger Verandahs.

I hope this helps a little bit.

As with any vacation, keep your camera in sight or it might grow legs and walk ;)

There is no where to lock up your valuables outside of your cabin. At the pool deck or on Castaway Cay, keep your valuables with you or leave them in your cabin securely stowed.

You might want to take pics on CC and then go back to the ship to leave your camera and then spend the rest of the day enjoying the island. Or you can purchase a cheaper camera to take with you in the sand and water.

We found the sand to be as big an issue with a good camera on the beach. Never did get it all out of one. We compromise by using the good camera for the pictures wanted, never setting it down. Then a cheap waterproof for snapshots on the beach and in the water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter