DCL Picture of the Day - Part 4

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by ssanders79, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrumpyGoat

GrumpyGoat Disney Curmudgeon

After 202 pages, I finally reached the end of the thread. Whew! Lots of great photography here and I haven't even look at the first three threads...

A few comments before I post some of my own pictures...

See below...

Good points. A competent photographer can take good pictures with
    any camera. The best way to improve your photography is to first learn all you can about the basic principles of photography and then practice, practice, practice. Don't be afraid to experiment. Digital is cheap. If something doesn't work out, just delete it.

Case in point: Even though I have drawers full of DSLR cameras and fancy lenses, on Oct. 7 Pacific Coast Cruise all I took for a camera was a high-end Canon point and shoot, the G12.

Macaques are Monkeys. The Barbary Macaque is unique in that they don't have tails.

You can do the same thing with Layer Masks in Photoshop, but this is a much less labor intensive method.

It's wider at the bridge level because the officers need an unobstructed view to the rear for maneuvering.

I really should have joined you on this. All I did in Ensanada was lounge by the pool...

I've been a member of the Photography on the Net forums for a number of years and I find most of the people there to be pretty helpful. I've made a bunch of friends through that forum. POTN is pretty Canon-centric, but there are places for users of other brands as well. You'll find their forums easy to navigate as they use the same software...

Now, a couple of my photos:

Butchart Gardens in Victoria, BC. From last year's Wonder repositioning cruise, Vancouver to LA...

[​IMG]

Ruins of the Warden's House, Alcatraz. Wonder Pacific Coast Cruise, October 2012.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. smeecanada

smeecanada DIS Veteran

I'm assuming you took this photo with the point and shoot mentioned above. Did you take it on the auto setting? Did you tweek it with a program afterward? If so, which one. Thanks.

Nice Butchart's photo BTW. It's about 30 minutes from my house.

4. GrumpyGoat

Yes, it was with the G12. I ALWAYS shoot in RAW and either in Program or Av Modes. One of the reasons I chose the G12 as my compact camera is because it shoots in RAW. I never use Auto because it takes away my control of the shot.

Because I shoot in RAW, my images have to be post-processed in some form or another. I use Lightroom 4 as my primary processing program, although I do use Photoshop CS5 for some things. I also have the Nik Viveza and Silver EfX Pro Plug-ins for LR4.

5. Momma2Jax

Momma2Jax DIS Veteran

I love all the tips I get in this thread. I bought my first dslr this summer, and am still very new to all of it's features. Sadly, I didn't have a ton of time to learn before going to Alaska, but I keep practicing and am getting there! I guess I'll just have to go back! ;)

[​IMG]

Salmon in a creek in Ketchikan

6. denise

denise The world is a book, and those who do not travel,

Yes Grumpy The Goat you should have joined us....we had a nice walk and made history by being the first walk on a cruise ship! ( Scott Kelby even mentioned the walk on one of his web casts!)

There is always next year! Can't wait to hear what the date will be...

Here is our group from the walk...

[​IMG]
    group photo by dionysia mou, on Flickr

7. smeecanada

smeecanada DIS Veteran

Thanks, for the info. I'll need to have a closer look at the G12 capabilities.

8. GrumpyGoat

9. GrumpyGoat

Heading out under the Lion's Gate Bridge, Vancouver. Wonder repositioning cruise, September 2011. This picture was shot with an older Canon Powershot G5. I didn't get the G12 until November.

[​IMG]

Telegraph Hill and the Coit Tower, San Francisco. Wonder Pacific Coast Cruise, October 2012.

[​IMG]

10. Momma2Jax

Momma2Jax DIS Veteran

[​IMG]

Pilot boat dropping off the pilot for Tracy Arm

11. GoofyontheHiSeas

GoofyontheHiSeas Do you know the Nutmeg Man.. The king of whats le

Beach in Cozumel

[​IMG]

12. Evad

Evad Living The Dream

13. luv2sleep

luv2sleep DIS Veteran

This bathroom is also on the Wonder. I also took a picture of it. Such a cool bathroom!

14. Evad

Evad Living The Dream

15. PegIra

PegIra DIS Veteran

I will never be as good as you all, but I will always enjoy your pictures. Thanks so much for sharing. We will hit the grand slam in January, when we cruise on the Fantasy with friends from high school Both of us will be celebrating our 54th anniversary's in 2013. This will be our 7th Disney Cruise,but their first and I can hardly wait for them to see how Disney does it!! We are going to enjoy watching them enjoy it.

Thanks again for all of your pictures!!!:)

Peg

16. GoofyontheHiSeas

GoofyontheHiSeas Do you know the Nutmeg Man.. The king of whats le

17. rescuetink

rescuetink DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! W

Thanks for reminding me how much I MISS THAT PLACE!!!! :sad:

18. Evad

Evad Living The Dream

19. denise

denise The world is a book, and those who do not travel,

So wanted to do that cruise.....I like this shot Dave....thanks for sharing...

20. Lovin DCL

Lovin DCL Earning My Ears

This is my favorite picture from our first Disney cruise. My son could have stared at the ocean all day.

[​IMG]

21. Evad

Evad Living The Dream

Thanks so much Denise!!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.