Daytona Beach question

Discussion in 'Orlando Hotels and Attractions' started by jekajekalynn, Dec 10, 2012.

1. jekajekalynn

jekajekalynn <font color=deeppink>A Barbie girl in a Bratz worl

We are thinking about spending the first day of our Florida vacation @ Daytona Beach before we get to WDW.

My question is, besides the beach what is there for families to do there? Ohhh.. and we don't give a poopie about cars/racing btw.. lol :upsidedow

TIA!

ETA , could a MOD please move this thread to appropriate forum? For some reason it backspaced back to Disney resort forum and not the Orlando/outside WDW one.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. babygirlamg

babygirlamg DIS Veteran

what day of the week are you spending in Daytona...They have an amazing flea market there....huge ....not sure if thats something you would like

4. Lynne M

Lynne M Moderator Moderator

Moving it now.... :)

5. jekajekalynn

jekajekalynn <font color=deeppink>A Barbie girl in a Bratz worl

We are planning to be in Daytona just for one day on 2/16.

6. travelcoupons

travelcoupons DIS Veteran

Go to the Ponce Inlet lighthouse, located in Ponce Inlet...just a few minutes south of Daytona Beach. (Follow Hwy A1A)
    There's a coupon on their website for discounted admission: http://ponceinlet.org/

Then, right next door to the Lighthouse is the Marine Science Center. (It's kind of hidden in the trees, but it's there). Very inexpensive to visit & the kids will love it. They rescue sea turtles and nurse them back to health. There's also other marine & land animals there.

http://marinesciencecenter.com/

Photo i took there:
    [​IMG]

There's also some good mini golf courses right off the beach. I personally like the One in Ormond Beach, but you would pass by the one in Daytona Beach Shores if you went to the lighthouse: http://www.piratesislandgolf.com/

7. DSLRuser

DSLRuser Age is a state of mind

http://www.beachhunter.net/cocoa-beach/shepard-park.htm

Shepard Park is just north of Daytona on cocoa beach. Secure parking, life guards. Just a good clean beach. We have gone here 3 times in the last 6 years. 50 minute drive from disney, so its an easy day trip. pictures in the link.

""This 5 acre ocean front park is named after astronaut Alan Shepard. The park provides restrooms, picnic tables, showers, and a large paved parking lot. Parking fees are in the $7 to $10 dollar range per car. There are also parking meters on nearby streets if you don't want to park in the lot. Wooden boardwalks lead to the beach and a long boardwalk parallels the beach for several hundred yards. The park has low, grass-covered dunes and a beautiful beach. Because this beach is so close to the pier, it is quite a popular access point and can get crowded, especially on the weekends. There are plenty of surfers here, too. ""

8. SarahKate

SarahKate DIS Veteran

Daytona isn't a great shelling beach but we enjoyed it there. Pretty cool that we could park ON the beach! There is a fun restaurant right on the beach called Ocean Deck. Is a bar but was kid friendly.

9. LovinPooh

LovinPooh DIS Veteran

The convenience of parking on the beach is super cool! And for only $5 ;)

10. lthiesfeld07

lthiesfeld07 Mouseketeer

My cousin lives in Ormand-By-The-Sea, which is just north of Daytona Beach. She lives right off of A1A. (Forgive me, I don't know the names of hotels,roads, etc) There is a beach just north of the Ormand-By-The-Sea sign heading north that we go to! It's free parking and a lovely area.
    I will be back (hopefully) in January!

11. travelcoupons

travelcoupons DIS Veteran

Sounds like Tom Renick Park, that's where I go too.

[​IMG]

12. loveysbydesign

loveysbydesign I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream

This looks lovely! :goodvibes

In june we were planning to stop at daytona and let the kids boogie board for 2 hours before we drive the rest of the wat y to Kissimmmee. But if this beach is nicer and more convenient maybe we;ll go there instead! How far of a drive is it from I95?:blush:

13. megthewonderful

megthewonderful DIS Veteran

I second the idea of the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse and the Marine Science Center. We did this last summer and my kids loved it! They are 9, 8 and 5 for reference.