DaveInTN's Lame Attempt at a Trip Report - NOW COMPLETE

You're killing me with your avatar. :rotfl2:

We tried it and really liked it. It was a pretty good deal and the food was great. I highly recommend the wraps. YUM!!!!! It was great to hop off the Safari and grab some chow without having to go too far. My boys even enjoyed it. They liked the mac and cheese. It's not just sandwiches either. There's rotisserie chicken too. We would definitely do it again.

You're killing me with your avatar. :rotfl2:

We tried it and really liked it. It was a pretty good deal and the food was great. I highly recommend the wraps. YUM!!!!! It was great to hop off the Safari and grab some chow without having to go too far. My boys even enjoyed it. They liked the mac and cheese. It's not just sandwiches either. There's rotisserie chicken too. We would definitely do it again.
That's good to hear....we will have to give the picnic a try sometime.

Funny you noticed the avatar. i just changed it 10 minutes ago!

No, but I was talking to DW about it while at AK last week. We saw the signs for it, and thought it sounded good. Have you?

DH and I tried it a few weeks ago. We got the sandwiches - I got tuna and he got the ham grinder. We got mac 'n cheese as a side and a brownie and corn bread for dessert.

Sandwiches were good, but you could tell they'd been made a little ahead and refrigerated. The tuna was delicious - no celery, not too much mayo and a hefty portion, but the bread was a wee bit soggy.

Mac'n cheese was standard WDW fare (Stouffers) but hot at least. Desserts were good - brownie was super chocolatey.

Meals were ready an hour after we ordered them as requested, and we ended up eating at a table by the Dawa bar.

We felt it was a good value for the money (esp at WDW) and it was a good, fresh meal that was a nice alternative to burgers or pizza. Oh and we got a snazzy tote bag too. :thumbsup2

We would definitely do it again.

Thank you! I hope to continue tomorrow with our EPCOT experiences.

I'll be right here glued to the screen waitin', Love your Avitar and your little ones look like they enjoyed almost every minute.

I too agree that the food used to be a treat at WDW. I got an email survey from Disney yesterday from our Thanksgiving stay and I bashed the food at TE once again. I guess they don't realize there's regulars who come often and have taken notice of the cheesy offerings they put out. There's no place we've been recently on property that I can dance about. I'm sure Grand Floridian has some good food but I don't have any interest in V & A. I hear 1900 Park Fare is decent as well but haven't tried it. Like someone posted, with the dining plan it's ruined the good food. For instance we tried Yak & Yeti after it opened and I can honestly say I've had better at a takee outee and for about 25% of the cost. There's too many good places on 535 and 192that serve better and that's a shame you have to leave to get it.

It could be the makings of an all-new Disney movie....Dave and the Elusive Biotch!
:rotfl2:

I think I saw a trailer for this the other night during the new Disney Christmas special on ABC! I'll certainly tune in for it :happytv: I wonder if they'll make a sequel?

......We felt it was a good value for the money (esp at WDW) and it was a good, fresh meal that was a nice alternative to burgers or pizza. Oh and we got a snazzy tote bag too. :thumbsup2

We would definitely do it again.

Good to hear! Thanks!

I'll be right here glued to the screen waitin', Love your Avitar and your little ones look like they enjoyed almost every minute.

Thanks Bob, and yes, they did enjoy the trip! Of course, I don't have any pics of the moments they WEREN'T enjoying themselves. Funny how, even at Disney World, kids can get mad at their parents. :confused3 I mean, you're spending thousands of dollars. They have NO RIGHT to be mad at you, right?? :rotfl: But I guess when you run them ragged every day, there will be the occasional breaking point.

:rotfl2:

I think I saw a trailer for this the other night during the new Disney Christmas special on ABC! I'll certainly tune in for it :happytv: I wonder if they'll make a sequel?
My agent hasn't been contacted yet, but I'm certainly open to it.

Dave, when your "real" TR is finished, will you consider doing a "fake" one? I have enjoyed reading it THAT much! A few weeks ago, I thought about finishing mine from 3 months ago but after reading yours, nah!

Dave, when your "real" TR is finished, will you consider doing a "fake" one? I have enjoyed reading it THAT much! A few weeks ago, I thought about finishing mine from 3 months ago but after reading yours, nah!
Hey, a fictitous trip report. that's a good idea!

Hey, a fictitious trip report. that's a good idea!
Yea, it's great, you can do anything you want and save THOUSANDS. I recommend the lifetime passes and parks all to yourself on a Segway experience.

I am enjoying the real one though.

As you might be able to tell from reading my trip report, while the Fort is my number one love at WDW, eating is a close number two! I grumble about the food quality overall at WDW, but there are enough things I enjoy, and enough things I haven’t tried yet, to keep me interested. So, despite how much we had eaten that past couple days at the dessert party and Chef Mickey’s, I was ready to sample some foods from around the World. :cheer2:

So, on Wednesday, we decided to hit EPCOT.

2021345210101147942S500x500Q85.jpg

Considering we had never ridden Soarin’, and considering how hard it can be to get fastpasses, we decided it would be another good rope drop opportunity. We opted to drive again, and headed out to the park early. We were at the gates in line by 20 minutes before opening. They open EPCOT a bit differently from the other parks, in that they let us through the gates about 15 minutes before rope drop, and they then allowed us to stampede to a rope about halfway between the giant golf ball and the Land pavilion. They did have characters present, which was nice but since everyone was completely focused on beating everyone else to the Soarin’ queue, nobody really seemed to give a mouse’s azz about the characters.

We decided that I would run ahead and grab fastpasses while the rest of my family moved toward the standby line, in case we wanted to ride twice. So, upon rope drop, I bolted along with the sea of humanity for the pavilion. What a zoo! I wound my way into the building, toward the escalators, where the giant mass has to squish its way onto the elevators and stairs. I began to fantasize about being a super hero and being able to lead over the railing and down to the floor below, bypassing the crowd. I actually considered doing it briefly, before coming to my senses. Broken legs do not make for good trip report material.

I made my way down and got in line for fastpasses. Just one guy ahead of me at the machine I chose. And it turns out he had MANY MANY tickets to process. He took forever, and I watched the fastpass clock ticking ahead at a rapid pace. Finally he was done, I took my place, and got my 6 passes. And I turned around and there were my 3 oldest DD’s. “Where’s Mama and Stella??” I asked. “Why aren’t you guys in line?”.

“Stella had to tinkle.”. And with those four words my entire plan was beginning to crumble. How is it that 3 year olds have to use the bathroom at the worst possible moments? So, we waited. And waited. I was beginning to think this had turned into a #2 session :eek:, when they came out of the ladies room and we took our place in the standby line. It was still only a 20 minute wait, so not too bad.

So, we finally got to the front of the line, and we got front row! :cool1: And we LOVED Soarin’!! It was so cool. So, all was well, and we had fastpasses to ride again within the hour. Which we did. 2nd row the next time, which was almost as good as first row except being able to see all the feet dangling down from the front row folks above you. Which was fine when I was in the front row, but when you are in the second row you wonder why those idiots have such long legs. :headache: Anyways, we enjoyed it.

Enough about Soarin’. After doing Mission Space and the Nemo ride, it was time for the World Showcase to open. So we headed there. Hungry.

The girls rode the Maelstrom while I scoped out food options. I decided it would be fun to try a few quick service things at various countries. I wanted a pretzel from Norway but the line was too long. Guess everyone was trying to get into the Norwegian spirit what with the Nobel Prize being handed out and all. So we started with China. Had some orange chicken, egg rolls and dumplings. Actually pretty tasty, although somewhat “food court” tasty.

Next, we hit the country of my ancestors, Germany. Tried a Beck, bratwurst, and black forest cake. That was fun, and the Beck helped me through our encounter with the Elusive Biotch a couple pavilions over. After that, we hit Japan. Now, I like sushi, but my family doesn’t, so I tried to order some things they might like. Teriyaki chicken, udon noodles and ginger cake. I have to say that all of it pretty much stunk. We didn’t eat it all. But, at this point we were pretty much full, so we were ok. And we were tired, so it was time to head back to the Fort for more fun at the pool.

That evening, I think we headed to DTD to hit Earl for dinner. My memory is fuzzy at this point, and it's possible we had hit DTD the night before. And based upon my kids' clothes in the pic below, that may well be the case. The dating on our camera was off the entire trip. Whatever....in any case, I HAD to have the holiday sandwich. It was awesome…just like I would make at home if were there for Thanksgiving. After dinner, we went to see Santa outside the World of Disney store.

2725534570101147942S500x500Q85.jpg

And we closed out our night with a visit to Goofy’s Candy Co. for the make your own treats. They have changed the approach to this a bit since April, and I wasn’t as impressed as on past visits. Still good, just not rock your world good. Oh well, what’s new?

Coming up….The Candlelight Processional Dinner Package

This is such a great report. I've been reading it with my DS and he loves your pictures with all the characters. We will be leaving for Fort Wilderness on Jan. 2nd and reading your report is completely adding to the excitement. Thanks so much for sharing!

Yea, it's great, you can do anything you want and save THOUSANDS. I recommend the lifetime passes and parks all to yourself on a Segway experience.

I am enjoying the real one though.

Thanks Memph1s!!

Loving the report.

Thank you Denise. Please tell Frank I may need some help tracking down Ms. White. Is he available to come to the Fort in March?

Keep it coming! Love the avitar! I noticed it right away.

popcorn::

Thanks! Couple more posts and I should be able to wrap this report up.

This is such a great report. I've been reading it with my DS and he loves your pictures with all the characters. We will be leaving for Fort Wilderness on Jan. 2nd and reading your report is completely adding to the excitement. Thanks so much for sharing!

Thank you for reading! Is there really a town called Kickapoo?? :laughing:

DaveInTN, There is a Kickapoo.....its a lovely place, but don't blink as you drive through, you could miss it!:thumbsup2

I had mentioned in an earlier thread how there were two days in particular I had planned months ago, and was most looking forward to. The first was our Magical Magic Kingdom Monday, where we attended the Wishes Dessert Buffet. That was everything I had hoped it would be. The second was Thursday…which I had planned to be a big day at EPCOT culminating in the Candlelight Processional. :yay: I had booked one of the dinner packages, where you book one of three “tiers” of restaurant for dinner, and you get preferred seating at the Candlelight Processional, as well as access to a preferred viewing area for Illuminations. I chose the Rose and Crown in England for dinner (I like Black and Tans :drinking1…that was the deciding factor!)

Well, after spending about half of Wednesday at EPCOT, we were really in the mood for just a quiet day at the Fort, and then going over to EPCOT in time for the dinner and processional. So, we hung around the pool, rode bikes, and relaxed. Until around 3:00 or so, when we headed over to EPCOT. I didn’t feel like driving (puts a crimp on the drinking :thumbsup2), so we took the bus. We rode Spaceship Earth after arriving. I didn’t realize there was an option to select different languages when boarding your ride vehicle, and mine defaulted to German. So, all my ride narration was in German. Which I don’t speak. Or understand. Except certain words, like lager, pilsner, stout, etc. I assume those are German. Oh, and Siemens, which happens to be the ride sponsor. And a large German conglomerate. Hmmm, I’m seeing a conspiracy. :eek:

After my trip through the Fatherland, we wandered over to Canada and saw the Circlevision movie there. By the time that was over, it was time for our dinner reservation, so we made the short walk to England.

England happens to be one of my favorite sections at WS. I like how they designed it like London streets, and how the pub interacts with the street scene, including the beer stand out front. Which happened to be my first stop after checking in for dinner. DW wanted to share my first beer with me, and she’s not a Guinness fan, so I chose a Stella Artois. Not sure why they were selling Belgian beer at the English pavilion :confused3, but it was good. And since my youngest DD is named Stella it has always been a fave of ours. In fact, when she was born I handed out bottles of Stella Artois instead of cigars.

We waited about 30 minutes for our table, but it was worth it. We were seated on the back patio next to the lake. Beautiful! Since we were doing a dinner package, DD13 and DD12 were considered adults and could choose anything off the menu. It’s not too often I let then pick anything regardless of cost. In fact, this may have been the first time ever. They were both pretty happy with their selections (Surf and Turf, and Fish and Chips). We tried some interesting appetizers I would never have selected under normal circumstances, such as Scotch Egg. And our desserts were included as well. And, I did get my Black and Tan! :woohoo:

After dinner, we had time to stroll around England. We found a quiet little spot behind the shops where a pretty Christmas tree was set up.

2275237590101147942S500x500Q85.jpg

We then headed to the theater for the Candlelight Processional. I had selected this night as Steven Curtis Chapman was narrating. He is a personal favorite of ours, and happens to live just a couple miles down the road from us. We were seated down in front, which was ok. This was our first time seeing CP, and we were so moved. It was beautiful, from the scenery to the images of the choir proceeding in by candlelight, to the music and narration. Steven Curtis Chapman did a great job, and he interjected a bit of personal wisdom at the end. We loved it.

2467974220101147942S500x500Q85.jpg

After it was over, we hightailed it to the other side of the lake for Illuminations. The viewing area was pretty full by that point, but we found a nice spot and watched the show. Again, this was our first time seeing Illuminations. Holy cow! :worship: I love Wishes, but Illuminations is on a whole nutha level! It’s amazing. We loved it, except DD3 who was scared witless and beyond tired by this point. So, I held her, and left a bit early to begin the trek to the bus while the rest watched the remainder of the show.

Of course, after Illuminations was over the buses were PACKED! The Fort shares a bus with WL, so it was standing room only. But we made it back in one piece, and went to bed to rest up for our final day at the Fort.

Coming up…A RAINY Final Day, and I’m Not Drinking Enough for this to Taste Good

Great Report! Thanks! Getting me even more excited for our trip ...22 LONG LONG LONG days from now! Gosh...I hate a Rainy final day. I hate any final day at the fort!:sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter