DAS

I thought the DAS was not meant to get you "extra". It was meant to assure you that you got the "same" as everyone else-just in a manner suitable to your specific needs.
But here's the rub, it doesn't provide the "same" as everyone else, here's how:
  1. There is extra walking/traveling time involved in getting a return time, leaving the attraction (or kiosk at DLR) and coming back later.
  2. They might deduct 10 minutes from the wait time (if they are doing what they are supposed to) for this "traveling time;" however, they do not account for the length of the wait once you return, meaning you will always have a longer wait time than others.
  3. Generally speaking those who need a DAS will have to travel through the parks slower than those who don't. Combine this with item number one and I think you can easily see the problem here.
  4. Other guests can simply walk up to an attraction and choose to wait in line, instead those with a DAS must get a return time (in some circumstances, even when the ride is essentially a walk-on due to the path of travel, they will still need a return time) and come back later, meaning that you don't get that I can see a ride I want to ride and just wait in line and go on it that everyone else does.
All of that being said, this system is actually an improvement over the old anything goes system for those of us that truly need it, I just want to point out that it is not the "same" as everyone else and really isn't even equal access and there is a lot that could be done to make it more equal, while still keeping the fairness of the new system in tact.

1. Generally speaking those who need a DAS will have to travel through the parks slower than those who don't. Combine this with item number one and I think you can easily see the problem here.

I use a DAS and do not have any mobility problems at all. I was talking about disney world if they had the kios then my problem would be solved but they do not have that at disney world. I would not accept anything other guess would not get there were a number of times ( 3) that I would go to a ride to get a return time and the thing would not work they asked me if I was alone and they would just hand me a rider swap to let me right on I would tell them I had to use the bathroom and wait the time I should have. the only time I went right on was at the ride I have problems with since it was an hour long wait and I have problems in that area ( my brain can not process get a return time and leave since you have to walk a good distance)

But here's the rub, it doesn't provide the "same" as everyone else, here's how:
  1. There is extra walking/traveling time involved in getting a return time, leaving the attraction (or kiosk at DLR) and coming back later.
  2. They might deduct 10 minutes from the wait time (if they are doing what they are supposed to) for this "traveling time;" however, they do not account for the length of the wait once you return, meaning you will always have a longer wait time than others.
  3. Generally speaking those who need a DAS will have to travel through the parks slower than those who don't. Combine this with item number one and I think you can easily see the problem here.
  4. Other guests can simply walk up to an attraction and choose to wait in line, instead those with a DAS must get a return time (in some circumstances, even when the ride is essentially a walk-on due to the path of travel, they will still need a return time) and come back later, meaning that you don't get that I can see a ride I want to ride and just wait in line and go on it that everyone else does.
All of that being said, this system is actually an improvement over the old anything goes system for those of us that truly need it, I just want to point out that it is not the "same" as everyone else and really isn't even equal access and there is a lot that could be done to make it more equal, while still keeping the fairness of the new system in tact.
1. They can choose to wait near the ride and therefore not walk more. Or they can go on another short wait ride in the area and get two rides for the wait time of one. Or they can eat, go to the bathroom or other things while others are stuck on line saving time later.
2. Yes and no. See above about two rides for the wait time of one. Also if the fp+ return is less than ten minutes they get on earlier than they would have if they waited in line. It goes both ways.
3. Or if they use their fp+ in conjunction with das (as recommended) they can get more done in less time.
4. If the ride is essentially walk on why would one need to get a return time? A return time isn't given if the wait is less than 20 minutes. Also das have no end time, unlike fp.

Is it exactly the same no. But they don't have to provide exactly the same. Just a reasonable accommodation.

I use a DAS and do not have any mobility problems at all. I was talking about disney world if they had the kios then my problem would be solved but they do not have that at disney world. I would not accept anything other guess would not get there were a number of times ( 3) that I would go to a ride to get a return time and the thing would not work they asked me if I was alone and they would just hand me a rider swap to let me right on I would tell them I had to use the bathroom and wait the time I should have. the only time I went right on was at the ride I have problems with since it was an hour long wait and I have problems in that area ( my brain can not process get a return time and leave since you have to walk a good distance)
People at Disneyland complain about the kiosks. They say they are too far apart and cause them to walk more.

People at Disneyland complain about the kiosks. They say they are too far apart and cause them to walk more.

We have used the DAS at Disneyland three times and I think the kiosks are fantastic.

Walk into the park and go to guest services for your first return time, while walking to that ride, go on something that has a short wait. Go on the ride you have a time for. Walk to the kiosk closest to the next ride you want, get a time.

Rinse and repeat.

At least at WDW, the Return Time is automatically assigned now. So, the 10 minutes are accounted for.
My understanding is that the 10 minutes were subtracted to account for the wait in the Fastpass line when you return, not 'walking around time.' Many people do things in the area while waiting for their FAS Return time to arrive, so are not spending a lot of time traveling.

Our experience using Fastpass Plus and using DAS on 5 long trips since it started is that our waits in the Fastpass line have been all under 15 minutes. Most were less than 10 and some were 5 minutes or under.
The longest in our last trip was 14 minutes, which included waiting for the wheelchair accessible ride car, which had just left before we arrived. So, average was under 10 minutes. I actually timed most of the waits on 2 of the trips, so I know what the actual waits were and we did not wait longer than we would have not using DAS. PLUS, we were not waiting IN the lines, which quite a few people have mentioned is worth waiting a few minutes extra to them if necessarily.

As far as kiosks vs. going to attractions to get DAS Return Times, I think WDW went with the system test worked best for them in terms of staffing and pace and DL went with what worked for them.
Some guests at DL like the idea of kiosks and others would rather go to the attraction.
And, some at WDW wish there were kiosks instead of going to attractions.
There isn't a way that will work best for everyone. And, I don't see the parks adding the other way of getting DAS because of the reasons they choose to go with the way that park does it in the first place.

As far as kiosks vs. going to attractions to get DAS Return Times, I think WDW went with the system test worked best for them in terms of staffing and pace and DL went with what worked for them.
Some guests at DL like the idea of kiosks and others would rather go to the attraction.
And, some at WDW wish there were kiosks instead of going to attractions.
There isn't a way that will work best for everyone. And, I don't see the parks adding the other way of getting DAS because of the reasons they choose to go with the way that park does it in the first place.

Exactly, the kiosks work with the logistics of DL. There would be even more staffing and space issues if they offered both. The people who complain the most are the people who looped rides. They now have to leave and return to the kiosk whereas previously they mostly loaded from the exit so they at most switched ride vehicles on many rides. I can understand the change would be frustrating for people who are used to going weekly and walking off Snow White, walking 20 feet and getting on Pinocchio without spending 5-10 minutes going through the queue. They now have to walk 40-50 yards to the kiosk and back. But for the family on an annual trip who rides Star Tours, passes a kiosk, gets a return time for HM and then has the option to leisurely make their way over there while their waiting time dwindles, it can be advantageous. I don't think the kiosks really create barriers for very many people. I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who were visiting 2-3 times per week and walking right on through the exits of all the Fantasyland lines with only 2-3 minute waits who now have to go a few more yards to the kiosks between rides. For very few people was it necessary to have immediate access or to ride every ride on every trip. And I'm sure that most of the people for whom that is necessary they have figured out ways to make the new system work.

We were there over Memorial Day weekend and did not have any occasions where we spent less that ten minutes in a FP+ line. Most of this was because we were waiting for a wheelchair accessible vehicle to come around (often behind several other Wc users). We had a few that our wait in the FP+ line was actually greater than 30 minutes-- tsmm (expected), pooh (3 transfers ahead of us and long line-- this was frustrating because we really clogged up the loading area), nemo (multiple transfers ahead if us and line was backed up), jungle cruise (one transfer ahead of us and had just missed boat), safari (just really backed up), great movie ride (transfers ahead of us and had only one accessible car online).

We were there over Memorial Day weekend and did not have any occasions where we spent less that ten minutes in a FP+ line. Most of this was because we were waiting for a wheelchair accessible vehicle to come around (often behind several other Wc users). We had a few that our wait in the FP+ line was actually greater than 30 minutes-- tsmm (expected), pooh (3 transfers ahead of us and long line-- this was frustrating because we really clogged up the loading area), nemo (multiple transfers ahead if us and line was backed up), jungle cruise (one transfer ahead of us and had just missed boat), safari (just really backed up), great movie ride (transfers ahead of us and had only one accessible car online).

I think WC vehicles are a whole different can of worms since they're do limited (but the holiday probably didn't help).

It's definitely something I hope they can figure out a tweak for. For someone without a WC, that kind of a wait doesn't happen.

I think the DAS is a great start but it is not a one size fits all I think for people in wheel chair they should take a little more time off for the big rides that they know we'll be a problem

Our DD has heart problems. and its extreme heat and humidity this week is not helping - she also could end up in the ER due to this extreme -

we made FP+ and we do make the DAS work, and sometimes, we may only do 2 rides and have to leave, and I still feel the DAS is working. One thing that confused us is we got a DAS return time for Toy Story, but had to leave the park, then MK was open until 2am after a 5 hour nap, we decided we were ready to hit the MK (and no sun bearing down!) We got to MK during regular hours and went to get a DAS return time - ah, but the Toy Story return time was there - they (CM at 7 Dwarf Mine Train) worked some magic and gave us a return time, but told us to go fix it at Guest Relations... but since There is no FP after hours (emh night) but there were no lines either - she loved it - and we didn't go back to GR...

next day, again it happened (I could be mixing up days) so I went to Guest Relations, and they said not to worry the DAS return will understand (and they gave us a das return time there)

It has been working - but the heat - I wish we could've gone in Oct! But I also planned tours and things that interested her - and that has helped make this a great vacation for her!

Also what has helped is the MDE ap, getting our 3 FP+ on our ap, I can move those times, or change those attractions - so that has worked better than I expected. Its harder when I had to split up and wanted my own FP+!! I like that the DAS return doesn't expire, as she did go back 3 hours later to ride something - and the DAS was still there. So it is working better than I thought it could for our needs

I also agree that for the majority of the attractions the FP lines are less then 15 min, Soarin today was quite long (over 40 min, and probably longer but since I was a single rider I skipped at least 200 people, and that's not exaggerating as the ride holds 87 people, and 87 come down, then there are a long line of people, then the FP kiosk - thats where I had already waited 30 min!

Figment, the FP line was getting long, it moved a bit... then I realized I hadn't moved - so I bailed, and then found out the ride was down - so long lines could mean the attraction is down, which clogs the system down -

The CM's have been so kind, and joyful - and it can't be easy in this heat!

From what I've heard and experienced, anything beyond the basic provisions of the DAS is all up to the discretion of the individual CM's on duty at the specific time and place you're asking. Some individual CM's may feel like the specific accommodation you need interferes with the operation of the attraction, while some other individual CM's may not. And those opinions may vary depending on the time of day and the circumstances on the ground. Other CM's may simply just not understand your needs no matter how well you explain them, and since they're not required to do anything beyond the basic provisions of the DAS, they're just not going to.

It may be a priority for one CM to go above and beyond the minimum of what they have to do for each guest who comes in, in order to make sure each guest they see has their needs met to the fullest; but the priority of the next CM on duty may be to focus on doing exactly what they have to do - no more, no less - for each guest who comes through the door in order to see the minimum needs met of a greater number of guests per hour. Therefore, you may get different-sounding advice, or even different service, from different CM's at different times. The inconsistency kind of sucks, but I guess it can be hard to avoid, especially when they're so understaffed, underpaid, and undersupported by management.

I just put a thread out there, there are cast members at Disneyland that are now insisting DAS cards are for cognitive disabilities only and are asking for the diagnosis (not written though), not just what assistance is necessary. I was polite, but firm and they did finally provide accomodations after talking at length with a supervisor. But for those that aren't willing or able to fight for their rights, I see this as a big issue.

This is not intended to start a debate about who should and should not get a DAS. This is intended to let others know about the challenges with getting a DAS at present, so that you may be properly prepared.

Last edited:
yes thank you for the heads up I am going in 2 days and if I get any no you do not qualify for a das I am really not able to stand up for my self ( I can a little but not much) the first time I asked for a DAS card I was told no went on 2 rides ( and this is right when the park opened so the lines were not that long one was about 10 and the other 15) I went on my 3 ride and my medical problem ( that when my cognitive disability get bed and makes my medical problem worst) got almost life threatening I went back to GR after I got my medical problem under control some the CM at GR was apologizing to me like crazy it did renin the vacation for me as it took a good few months no recover form every thing

You are welcome, if they say no at first, be sure to mention what happened last time and ask for a lead if necessary.

Yes.
If you have any concerns about why it was denied, ask for a lead/supervisor.

It should be in my magic band so I will just asked for it to be reactivated

I had problems with shows but there was really nothing they could do with the DAS to help any more. Some shows wanted the DAS, some wanted me to get a FP+, some wanted to sign my card for the next show rather than let me get in line for the upcoming show (I always got there quite early). Every show was different and not consistent day to day or even from the person who let me into the line for special needs access to the one seating people. GR apologized but didn't have any way to differentiate what I needed like they used to be able to with stamps.

Yeah, I have a concern about that now that the DAS is all electronic, not sure how that is going to work.

It seems like you was asking if you can get a return time at GS instead of walking to the ride.
From my experiences and what I've been told from plenty of GS CMs this is perfectly exceptable,
I always get a time for the first ride from GS when entering the park it's made things far easier for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter