DAS Review

CoriM48

Mouseketeer
We just got back from 8 days in the parks. The crowds were higher than were predicted, but with the DAS and FPP, we had a very successful trip!

We got our DAS on our arrival day at the Guest services window outside Hollywood Studios. The CM was super nice and did not ask us a single question (It is possible she saw my son melting down as we waited the 5 minutes in line for our turn). I did tell her I had one last November when it was still a paper pass, but she had to put us into the system since this was the first time back since it had gone electronic. We did not have to bring our entire party...just their magic bands. The entire exchange took about 5 minutes.

The DAS electronic pass worked about 3/4 of the time. The rest of the time we were issued paper return times, which was nice. I could see where that could lead to abuse if you collected multiple tickets, but you never really knew if it would work electronically or not (and we are so grateful for the pass that we made sure never to double dip on principle.) We carefully planned our FPP and our DAS ahead of time in order to minimize walking.

One thing we did not realize is that any linked magic band can get the DAS; it does not need to be the DAS holder's magic band that has it scheduled. We had one CM argue with us about it and actually had to have his manager, who was right there, educate him. The DAS holder does, of course, need to scan the band first when returning to enter the line.

We were sent directly through for lines 10 minutes or less, but were always given return times if the line was 15 minutes or more.

The FP return lines can get long at times, and we sometimes had to wait in that line for 15 minutes. We were prepared for that, but it's important for people to understand that it really can be a while once you return and there will be standing in line. We did have to give up a return time for TSMM because the FP return line was 30-45 minutes long. We understood that's just how it was going to be and knew our son's limits, so we weren't angry, but I think people really do need to understand that the DAS is not an immediate access sort of thing (which we've never considered it). Be prepared for the practical application. It's equal access, not immediate.

Also, it's not just good for rides with FP return lines. Astro Orbiter issues them, too. You just ask for it at the exit. That's the only exception we noticed, but it is a favorite ride of my son's, so it was an important one for us.

Finally, I love the new magic band application. It was great to have it linked electronically, and we found the wordless blue to green Mickey symbol to be MUCH less obvious than having to hold out our paper pass. DAS is a great blessing to our family, and we had a wonderful vacation because of it.

I just got back too and had to renew my DAS this trip all I have to do is say I need to renew my DAS and they scan my band and off I go.

there was one time it took the CM a long time to give me a return time so they took off 15 minutes for me another time they let me right in for BTM I told the CM that I was just at HM and had a CM ignore me when trying to get a return time and then having to wait 20 minute so that I could skip the starching room.

Yes there are some rides that the electronic DAS dose not work for me Space mountain is one that hardly ever works for me so most of the time they give me a return time on a pice of paper ( I have 5 that I found in my bag form this trip) yes I do not know what I would do with out the DAS my time at Disney would not be the same and my days would be much shorter is it perfect no I am still learning how to use it and what I need ( like using the wheel chair entrance for BTM skipping the stretching room at HM things like that

I totally for got about asto I love that ride and I have not been on it since right when the DAS went electronic

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Just to clarify, when you say:

We were sent directly through for lines 10 minutes or less

Do you mean that you were sent directly through to the line?

if the line is less then 10 minutes then you will be sent directly through the stand by line unless you need some other accommodation

if the line is less then 10 minutes then you will be sent directly through the stand by line unless you need some other accommodation

We were sent through the FPP line when the time was posted at 10 minutes. We were never directed to the Standby line when attempting to use the DAS.

Cool I have never tried to use my DAS of the line is shorter then 10 minutes good to know it works but if the stand by line is short why not use it

We do often use the standby line if it's clearly at 10 minutes, but it is practice for our son in order to increase his ability to handle lines. If he's already agitated, we will sometimes use the DAS.

We were sent through the FPP line when the time was posted at 10 minutes. We were never directed to the Standby line when attempting to use the DAS.

This will probably be left up to CM discretion and that may vary with attractions. I know DD was trained on the DAS and electronic version, and she was told if it was 10 minutes or less she was to direct the guests to use Standby line.

Overall we like the DAS system. Glad it worked for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter