DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

But your comment made it sound like any body adding people after the fact should get a ban, and if a ban is even an option, how does Disney realistically police this on people lying vs not?
You're the only one who took it that way, as you removed it from the context of the discussion, which was regarding people who deliberately lie about party size to avoid being given rider swap as an accommodation instead of DAS.

All the same, going after an Autistic person for phrasing things in a way others wouldn't is a little like getting upset at water for being wet.

Every other trip, we have a package, but we did the 4 parks 4 days, and they don’t start until the 20th. Thanks for the info!!
I just checked and it says “30 Days in Advance of Park Visit.” So I would assume the 20th for you.

I bought the 4 days plus waterpark. I set the ticket to June 16th. We arrive the 15th, going to waterpark 16th, and animal kingdom 17th. I think I am going to wait until 30 days before the 17th because that is the first day we would use DAS if we are approved. I don’t want to wait in the queue to be told to come back tomorrow. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Our first day at our resort is May 19, but our first day in a theme park is May 20. So I can’t do the video chat tomorrow, right, I have to wait until the 20th? Or is it your first day of your resort stay is 30 days?
And if you don’t want to risk miscalculating dates, I always double check my 30 day date (some magical extras get released at midnight before the phone lines open up);

https://pscalculator.net/pscalc.php

note: the calculator ADR dates haven’t been updated post pandemic but it does display 60 and 30 day dates.

Just thought would let you know the response we had from disability services to us who live in UK

We asked - how do we do the live DAS video for people in the UK
They kindly sent a website link to the Disneyworld.co.uk site

We replied - no live video link
Disney sent another link to the .co.uk site

We replied - need the link to the .com site or are we in the UK not allowed to apply for DAS

Disney sent an interesting response - International visitors cannot apply for DAS
They have to go to guest services on First day where they will be given an I Pad to contact DAS for a live video chat .

We told them , have been DVC members for over 20 years and this is biggest shambles we have seen .
We are coming end of may for two weeks and wished we weren't
This is correct. It was discussed a few thousand comments ago. 😂

Someone had probably already helped you but you can do the chat online if you use a VPN.

Ramps do not give an advantage. Nor does a Braille menu or signage. Nor does transcription (sign language) services.
Agreed. There are certain accommodations that only specifically are advantageous to those who need them (like ramps, braille ect)
Where it gets tricky is when the need requires accommodations that other non disabled guests would find advantageous as well.

So when Disney is offering a paid product (genie plus ) that is not only expensive but is inferior to what they offer guests with certain disabilities ( since genie plus does not guarantee a return time at any ride of your choosing , does not offer an open ended return time , as well as the ability to schedule re rides if desired) … then it isn’t really surprising that they have a huge problem with abuse/ fraud.

Hopefully they can design a system that meets the needs of disabled park guests while balancing the needs of those who are not disabled so that it doesn’t become sought after by all and ripe for abuse .

I tend to agree with you on this. We spent a week at WDW with grandparents along. They were in fine health for their age (no DAS needed) but…they needed a long break every afternoon. They just couldn’t last a full day on their feet in the summer sun.

I guess maybe it was their choice to not rent wheelchairs, but they are perfectly fine walking…just not for the miles required for a full day in the parks.

Lots of non-DAS users need to leave the parks early for one reason or another.

I also just spent a week at WDW with a relative who gets severe migraines. There were a few days we needed to leave early then too.
Agreed.
There are people who really need to leave the parks or don’t get to do as much as others because they have physical or mental limitations that don’t allow them to stay as long or do as much as they would choose to do if they could. And maybe they don’t qualify for accommodations, but they still have hard limits on what they can do and accomplish.

Disney’s response to international travelers makes me very sad. They expect families to invest thousands of dollars in a trip without knowing until after they arrive if they will receive the accommodation they need.

Personally, I feel all guests applying for DAS, regardless of where they live, should be able to get a yes or no far enough ahead that they can cancel their trip without penalty if they feel they can’t work with the accommodation offered. To make people wait until after arrival, or even after the package paid-in-full date when penalties are higher, has the potential to be a huge customer service blunder that could give Disney a lot of bad publicity.
Not to mention the amount of time it may take out of their vacation to do a video call that morning. Those early morning hours are key. We have no idea how long the wait will be for video calls. I can imagine that the time around park opening will be slammed and take even longer than usual since they will have to explain to everyone how the new system works or why they now won't qualify for the pass.

As unnerving as this change is for a lot of people, I guess one of the good parts about it is that I’m sure some folks who took advice from the “influencers” about faking the need for urgent trips to the bathroom…

will most likely try to now register for the DAS claiming a different disability (Autism or the like) and because Disney has records of what they claimed in the past.. they will be not only denied accommodations, hopefully they will also be banned. I really hope Disney makes good on that threat, since fakers make it so much harder for those with actual needs.

I have read every post from the beginning and haven't really found the words to post until now. Hear me out please! I have been both a DAS and Non-DAS user. A few years ago, I had to get a stomach biopsy and a watts biopsy of my esophagus due to my poor lifestyle which was too mush spicy food and too many IPA's. I sure do miss it! But ... about a year before my procedure, I couldn't pass a bathroom. I was on the toilet every 30 min and my kids would always say " again dad?" I decided to apply for a DAS and they gave it to me. I had a legit reason. When I had to go, I had to go NOW! But, during that period, on 3 trips to WDW the DAS was clearly an advantage over other guest. I could book my DAS, use G+ to book a lightning lane and ride a ride while waiting. Example. I book space mountain and Buzz. Ride People Mover, use bathroom, ride buzz, use bathroom, ride space, use bathroom and by then I already had my next 2 rides booked. Same thing again, book 7DMT and Pooh, ride tea cups while waiting for those. No one not using DAS could do that. It was a clear advantage. I'm not sure how Disney will fix that but I do agree DAS is a great thing for those who need it and anyone that needs it shouldn't be denied for any legit medical reason but and this is a BIG but! They need to make it so it's not an advantage. It's supposed to be so those that need DAS get fair and equal treatment and accommodations in the parks. Not an advantage. Luckily, I no longer need DAS and my digestive system is about as normal as it gets. And I will gladly choose to wait in a long standby line over having to crap 10 times a day.

Edited to add: My biopsies and endoscopy showed severe damage to my lower sphincter, the one between your esophagus and stomach and stomach lining damage. No medication needed! All I had to do is follow doctors orders and change my eating and drinking habits. The bonus is I lost weight also!

Last edited:
As unnerving as this change is for a lot of people, I guess one of the good parts about it is that I’m sure some folks who took advice from the “influencers” about faking the need for urgent trips to the bathroom…

will most likely try to now register for the DAS claiming a different disability (Autism or the like) and because Disney has records of what they claimed in the past.. they will be not only denied accommodations, hopefully they will also be banned. I really hope Disney makes good on that threat, since fakers make it so much harder for those with actual needs.
Do we know Disney has records of what people have claimed they need DAS for? I thought they could only see that you've had it in the past.

The same goes for literally all other park guests. This point shouldn't need to be brought up again and again. Disney is a theme park that everyone chooses to go to. You cannot make judgements or assumptions of guests and how they spend their park time. Disney is more than just attractions too and DAS is about attractions. I've got a DISer friend who up until last October hadn't been to MK at night in years, who mostly goes to the parks for a few hours and leaves. He and his wife are not DAS users at all. We need to stop making these types of presumptions about people's trips.
I was responding to DAS users double their rides argument. If it was a significant issue you would see Disney put additional limits. Regular park guests can purchase LLs and ride standby.

The people who are angry that DAS gets unlimited LLs and should be limited are not people who stay in parks for just a few hours. They are people who resent supposedly riding less than DAS users ride. Both sides of the argument are assumptions (actual guests with disability data is lumped in with the abusers).

Last edited:
I have read every post from the beginning and haven't really found the words to post until now. Hear me out please! I have been both a DAS and Non-DAS user. A few years ago, I had to get a stomach biopsy and a watts biopsy of my esophagus due to my poor lifestyle which was too mush spicy food and too many IPA's. I sure do miss it! But ... about a year before my procedure, I couldn't pass a bathroom. I was on the toilet every 30 min and my kids would always say " again dad?" I decided to apply for a DAS and they gave it to me. I had a legit reason. When I had to go, I had to go NOW! But, during that period, on 3 trips to WDW the DAS was clearly an advantage over other guest. I could book my DAS, use G+ to book a lightning lane and ride a ride while waiting. Example. I book space mountain and Buzz. Ride People Mover, use bathroom, ride buzz, use bathroom, ride space, use bathroom and by then I already had my next 2 rides booked. Same thing again, book 7DMT and Pooh, ride tea cups while waiting for those. No one not using DAS could do that. It was a clear advantage. I'm not sure how Disney will fix that but I do agree DAS is a great thing for those who need it and anyone that needs it shouldn't be denied for any legit medical reason but and this is a BIG but! They need to make it so it's not an advantage. It's supposed to be so those that need DAS get fair and equal treatment and accommodations in the parks. Not an advantage. Luckily, I no longer need DAS and my digestive system is about as normal as it gets. And I will gladly choose to wait in a long standby line over having to crap 10 times a day.
Yes, I have also been to the park with a DAS user and without… and there are some instances where the DAS does give an advantage. The ability to plan more and do more while waiting for return times (we had a table service meal while waiting for our return time to space mountain) was advantageous over those without a DAS.

And then there were other instances that the DAS couldn’t help with at all. For example, one afternoon a balloon popped by my severely autistic nephew and the meltdown that followed ended with us leaving the park only 30 minutes after arriving.

When touring with non DAS guests there wasn’t the same “advantages” of booking return times ect… but we also didn’t have the same pressure as we felt touring with a special needs child, where one small upset could ruin the entire day.

And then a few years ago touring with a different non DAS guest, she sprained her ankle and we Unexpectedly had to leave early (even though she didn’t have a disability, it was just an unfortunate accident that caused us to leave)

So I really see this from all angles. and I agree, I hope Disney can accommodate those who need it (and I don’t doubt for a moment they will, to the best of their ability ) in ways that make it as close to the “typical guest experience “ as possible

Do we know Disney has records of what people have claimed they need DAS for? I thought they could only see that you've had it in the past.
I believe they do. There is an always a purpose in tracking (just like google and ads).

The whole point of MBs was to track where guests go. They also have facial recognition software and hidden cameras recording every inch of the park.

They also record your phone calls and I get a notification before the call that it will be recorded. It’s for their protection and your own. Guest services said they can go back and pull up what was said on my recent phone call but it will take her a few days.

Last edited:

Edited to add: My biopsies and endoscopy showed severe damage to my lower sphincter, the one between your esophagus and stomach and stomach lining damage. No medication needed! All I had to do is follow doctors orders and change my eating and drinking habits. The bonus is I lost weight also!
I’m glad you’re doing well and the damage was limited and wish you the best.

I believe these type of uses are what Disney is targeting. They want occasional needs to use a bathroom pass. To be clear this was not abuse as at that time Disney only offered DAS as an accommodation and that was your only alternative.

I believe they do. There is an always a purpose in tracking (just like google and ads).

The whole point of MBs was to track where guests go. They also have facial recognition software and hidden cameras recoding every inch of the park.

They also record your phone calls and I get a notification before the call that it will be recorded. It’s for their protection and your own. Guest services said they can go back and pull up what was said on my recent phone call but it will take her a few days.
Yes, that is what I was told. That they do keep record of what was said in the calls and even for those who requested a DAS in person… because they need to be able to produce a record of what was said if a guest makes a claim that “they were told x by so and so”… or “this cast member gave it to me last time “ then Disney can prove what was or wasn’t said and done .

I don’t think they actually keep records on the reason you needed an accommodation. They would just be begging for a lawsuit.

And there’s no way they can safely assume someone is lying just because they have given two different reasons on different trips. There’s a 100% chance that they would ban someone who wasn’t lying, and get a bunch of bad press and pay out a hefty settlement.

The whole point of MBs was to track where guests go. They also have facial recognition software and hidden cameras recoding every inch of the park.

There’s an interest in tracking data but for an entity that has no reason to have an interest in medical data that’s a risky proposition

There’s an interest in tracking data but for an entity that has no reason to have an interest in medical data that’s a risky proposition
It’s not medical data (and part of the reason they don’t want medical data), it’s biographical data, but they already have our legal names, birthdays, addresses, credit cards, and for some of us they also have passport and social security numbers. Oh, and how could I forget that for everybody who goes to WDW, they have our biometric data as well.

I hope they are keeping recordings or at least limited notes. Giving two different reasons for using DAS months or years apart is very different than calling and calling with different limitations until you finally unlock the specific accommodation you want or became used to having.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter