DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

You really just don’t get it do you?
G+ and DAS don’t work the same.
Buying G+ would get them on pirates ONE TIME. But what is pirates is their favorite rides and they want to ride it again. G+ won’t allow that. So they have to use standby. But they cannot use standby because the line is 65 minutes long, and for them it is not feasible.

So it’s not like you can just say I’ll stand there for 65 minutes and wait because I love this ride.

G+ would have to allow them to be able to book a ride again, without standing inside a 65 minute line.

If only there was a system in place like that… OH WAIT..

You really cannot compare G+ to DAS. The only thing similar is that you tap a button on your phone to “book” it and get a time to come back.
I will play devils advocate for that. In that instance allowing DAS guests to re ride things easier than your average guest IMO goes well above what DAS should be about.

I have no issues with DAS, I just think it should be to make it easier and put DAS on the same level as an average guest. I just don't think they should get advantages that you average guest can.

A huge part of the problem with long waits in the LL is the large groups of non-disabled attaching themselves to the DAS user. I have read so many posts of people asking if they could go over the 6 limit and how when they were at Disney they argued for it and got it. I think Disney was very generous in the past and continues to be so with allowing 4 and possibly extra for people with small children who cannot be left alone. Is it the law that a business has to not only accommodate the disabled person but their entire extended parties as well? Legitimate question not sarcasm. Given that LL can only accommodate a certain number of people at a time to keep waiting times low smaller parties would allow for more people who need it to be given DAS as well instead of being excluded.

I'm actually surprised they kept DAS at 4...but then again, I think this pass is gonna focus hard on minor kids (so they'd need parents anyway).

For adults without severe developmental issues, I feel like the "return to line" pass will operate like an old GAC for 1 - come to the line, get a time to come back, enter LL as a solo when either you would have ridden (if you are solo) or when the rest of your party would be ready to ride having gone through the standby line (so you can join them).

Maybe I'm wrong, but that would take groups of 6+ down to singles, and that would probably knock 70%+ off the LL - and that's probably what Disney would be looking to do. Accommodate the disabled adult only, and not the entire non-disabled party.

Something else that struck me. I’d hazard a guess that developmental disabilities do not account for more than 25% of current DAS claims (no idea on the numbers, but clearly it is not more than half). That should drastically cut workload for those DAS CMs if people no longer apply based on Disney’s wording (presuming it does not change). What happens to the spare CMs? For it happening next month, you think they’d have been properly briefed already on any internal movement.

It suggests to me that either the video call process will include assigning other accommodations (does not read to be the case with the current wording), or they’re still planning on similar volumes applying and they will be willing to speak and listen to needs.

Pure speculation of course.

They could, but it would cost them money. IDK if it is worth it to them to spend the money to police whether DAS holders go on other rides. Cost might outweigh the benefits for them.
Agree, it might well not be worth it to them from an immediate cash perspective, but from a drama perspective of changing the GAC/DAS/whatever the next thing will be called years from now every 10-15 years and enduring the bad press, cutting back on fakers by taking away an attractive aspect of the DAS might be worth it.

And before someone starts screaming about Disney encouraging DAS holders to ride other rides via standby while awaiting their DAS return time, no, I'm not calling you cheaters, fakers, or abusers. Disney allows, even encourages it, so while we don't do it on the rare occasions my sister uses the DAS, there is no reason people shouldn't use it that way. But it does provide an incentive for the fakers, so taking it away does take away one more incentive.

I do think that in the long term, the ADA needs to be looked at again when it comes to theme parks and other very large public accommodations.

I'm actually surprised they kept DAS at 4...but then again, I think this pass is gonna focus hard on minor kids (so they'd need parents anyway).

For adults without severe developmental issues, I feel like the "return to line" pass will operate like an old GAC for 1 - come to the line, get a time to come back, enter LL as a solo when either you would have ridden (if you are solo) or when the rest of your party would be ready to ride having gone through the standby line (so you can join them).

Maybe I'm wrong, but that would take groups of 6+ down to singles, and that would probably knock 70%+ off the LL - and that's probably what Disney would be looking to do. Accommodate the disabled adult only, and not the entire non-disabled party.
Issue here is that some of the disabled adults will need to be accompanied. If it’s a family of 2 adults 2 kids, the kids can then not be left alone. That’s then 4 going through LL at a later time. Effectively you have DAS again now, just with more admin for CMs.

Anxiety and mental health disorders are protected under ADA.

This is very concerning for me, as I would assume that 95% of people that use DAS now don't have a "Developmental" disorder. Now those going through cancer treatments, those with anxiety, those with panic disorders, IBS, all don't qualify.

This is honestly a huge detractor to me, as a passholder & dvc member it makes me reconsider Disney being my go-to destination for vacation. The fact that most of you are thinking of buying Genie+ to manage your disabilities is saddening too. You shouldn't be forking out extra money on your already incredibly expensive vacation just to have a decent time. DAS worked, sure it may have been abused by those who didnt need it but if the trade off is hurting the people the really need it, you leave it in place until you find a suitable alternative. This is not that.
Well said. I was just made aware of this change, and have been skimming through the comments, and this comment really sums up my initial thoughts.

Last edited:

Totally personal opinion here, so take it for what it’s worth…

I think it’s because in the federal court case that Disney won over ending the GAC, the court ruled that DAS was a reasonable accommodation for autism. As such, I think Disney felt that they had to include that language in the initial release so as not to be seen as potentially taking away an accommodation that a court ruled was adequate for a specific group.
I absolutely agree with this.

I also think from a PR perspective the general public associates autism with kids and because of that this is a disability that receives far more empathy. Plus there's more of an organized effort of activism in that community and history of their efforts, rightfully so.

Case in point... I haven't seen much ableism directed at autism in this thread while it's been thrown at all other disabilities being mentioned.

Anxiety and mental health disorders are protected under ADA.

This is very concerning for me, as I would assume that 95% of people that use DAS now don't have a "Developmental" disorder. Now those going through cancer treatments, those with anxiety, those with panic disorders, IBS, all don't qualify.

This is honestly a huge detractor to me, as a passholder & dvc member it makes me reconsider Disney being my go-to destination for vacation. The fact that most of you are thinking of buying Genie+ to manage your disabilities is saddening too. You shouldn't be forking out extra money on your already incredibly expensive vacation just to have a decent time. DAS worked, sure it may have been abused by those who didnt need it but if the trade off is hurting the people the really need it, you leave it in place until you find a suitable alternative. This is not that.
Well said. I was just made aware of this change, and have been skimming through the comments, and this comment really sums up my initial thoughts.

Issue here is that some of the disabled adults will need to be accompanied. If it’s a family of 2 adults 2 kids, the kids can then not be left alone. That’s then 4 going through LL at a later time. Effectively you have DAS again now, just with more admin for CMs.

Not really - it's GAC, with the required walk to attractions, check in and wait for that exact ride...and inability to ride other rides b/c you'd have the lanyard/scan for that one ride. That's gonna way bring down overall usage.

Yesssss! I agree! That would also help with the Return to Line accommodation. Let's say a person scans into a standby line at Pirates. After about 20 minutes, they need to leave for a medical reason (ie., they have Crohn's symptoms flare up and need to use the bathroom). They might not be able to stop and wait for a cast member. They could go straight to where they need to go, and then when they return later (even if it is an hour later), the cast member could confirm they had tapped into the line and then allow them to enter the LL to finish their wait and ride Pirates.

Adding the tap points would be such a good idea, but I'm guessing it would take a lot to add them to all the attractions throughout WDW. It would probably make sense to add them first to the attractions with the longest wait times. Then, like you said, if someone with DAS is waiting virtually for one ride, they can't go physically stand in a queue for another ride and game the system.
You keep mentioning Crohn`s and that return to line is a viable option.

"I know you are just the messenger and only telling what you think Disney thinks" but again it seems like you keep getting back to this particular disease....

Let me give you some inside info...
It MIGHT work in theory in a line like Dumbo because both lines are equal
BUT in a long maze like narrow line like BTM or SM or even POTC there is no way you can get to the bathroom on time in most cases.
With DAS you have the option to enter the line when you "feel ready to ride". Numerous occasion CM offered me to get in line straight away when I tried to obtain return time at the ride entrance and I had to refuse it. Knowing I would need a bathroom brake before I "feel ready to ride". And when I was ready I only had to conquer a shorter line.
If someone like me is forced to enter a 2+ hours line it is guaranteed that I would need to fight my way out find a bathroom and kinda fight my way back ? (That part is still unclear). I would feel really bad doing this several time and all together my wait time would be considerably longer than those who don`t need to live the line ... until you don`t have experience what is having Crohn`s mean please stop saying that...

I don`t know what is like having MS means and I`m not trying to say for those with MS that return to line is a reasonable accommodation. I just don`t.

If that`s the case really that people with IBD will be refused DAS I guess lot of accident will happen and that will make some noise. It`s interesting that in Europe in numerous countries IBD is a well recognised disability and tried to be accommodated well. (again we can`t be sure yet that Disney won`t accommodate it in satisfactory manner for now everything is a guessing game).

I genuinely hope Disney reads this forums....

Not really - it's GAC, with the required walk to attractions, check in and wait for that exact ride...and inability to ride other rides b/c you'd have the lanyard/scan for that one ride. That's gonna way bring down overall usage.
I agree there, but DAS could and should be changed to have those changes. It already will have pre-selection removed and additional time added before the next selection can be made (could be made even smarter by adjusting time based on distance between attractions). If that is all implemented, the only real difference is the physical walk between attractions as the time for the walk can be accounted for. It’s the time that’s relevant, not the actual walk.

Don’t see how it would stop someone riding other attractions that don’t need a scan in while they are waiting either.

Plus it would be additional work for CMs.

Definitely agree it would cut down the LL for disabled adults who do not need a carer, but if they do require a carer and the whole party has to stay together, I think DAS just seems appropriate at that point.

You keep mentioning Crohn`s and that return to line is a viable option.

"I know you are just the messenger and only telling what you think Disney thinks" but again it seems like you keep getting back to this particular disease....

Let me give you some inside info...
It MIGHT work in theory in a line like Dumbo because both lines are equal
BUT in a long maze like narrow line like BTM or SM or even POTC there is no way you can get to the bathroom on time in most cases.
With DAS you have the option to enter the line when you "feel ready to ride". Numerous occasion CM offered me to get in line straight away when I tried to obtain return time at the ride entrance and I had to refuse it. Knowing I would need a bathroom brake before I "feel ready to ride". And when I was ready I only had to conquer a shorter line.
If someone like me is forced to enter a 2+ hours line it is guaranteed that I would need to fight my way out find a bathroom and kinda fight my way back ? (That part is still unclear). I would feel really bad doing this several time and all together my wait time would be considerably longer than those who don`t need to live the line ... until you don`t have experience what is having Crohn`s mean please stop saying that...

I don`t know what is like having MS means and I`m not trying to say for those with MS that return to line is a reasonable accommodation. I just don`t.

If that`s the case really that people with IBD will be refused DAS I guess lot of accident will happen and that will make some noise. It`s interesting that in Europe in numerous countries IBD is a well recognised disability and tried to be accommodated well. (again we can`t be sure yet that Disney won`t accommodate it in satisfactory manner for now everything is a guessing game).

I genuinely hope Disney reads this forums....
A very reasoned response!

My question for the folks that, based solely on the initial press release, as we don't really know what final accommodations would be, what would be a reasonable accommodation for Chron's or MS if DAS is taken away? I know for some, leave & return to the line would work, so that's a subset. But if leave and return isn't adequate and DAS isn't available, what would you see as a reasonable accommodation?

Seriously asking, because I have no idea what that middle ground might be.

I will play devils advocate for that. In that instance allowing DAS guests to re ride things easier than your average guest IMO goes well above what DAS should be about.

I have no issues with DAS, I just think it should be to make it easier and put DAS on the same level as an average guest. I just don't think they should get advantages that you average guest can.
The average guest can re ride things as many times as they want.

If my husband wants to stand in line to ride pirates over and over and over again and wait 65 minutes each time, he is able to do that.

If my son, who needs DAS, wants to ride pirates over and over and over again - using genie + would not work the way it is currently set up. The way DAS is set up, we select it, wait 65 minutes while we attend to his needs, ride the ride, select the ride again, wait 65 minutes while we attend to his needs, ride, repeat.

I’m using 65 minutes as a made up number, as I know posted wait times and DAS return times can vary*

My question for the folks that, based solely on the initial press release, as we don't really know what final accommodations would be, what would be a reasonable accommodation for Chron's or MS if DAS is taken away? I know for some, leave & return to the line would work, so that's a subset. But if leave and return isn't adequate and DAS isn't available, what would you see as a reasonable accommodation?

Honestly, I’m not sure anything other than DAS would work for my husband. So I guess if he no longer qualifies, we will sell our DVC and just not go to Disney anymore.

I can’t really think of a suitable alternative. Parks here in the UK have the same accommodations for inflammatory bowel disease - just using a written timecard instead of an app. Ultimately if your disease is severe enough, lengthy queues are going to result in best case several rejoins where, as the poster points out, your queue time will actually be higher as a result. Or, worst case, you suffer an accident.

One interesting point is the parks here tend to have separate entrances for the assistance passes. They aren’t part of the fast track lines (Genie+ equivalents we have).

It’s like that in Disneyland Paris on several attractions too.

I think it’s something to look at. Along with tightening rules and eventually requiring medical evidence, I think numbers can be brought down to manageable levels without the blanket exclusions Disney seem to be proposing right now.

[/QUOTE]
I have ulcerative colitis, the main issues with leaving and returning to the line are:
1. It is an urgent need. So i need the ability to quickly leave the line and run to the bathroom.
2. I dont have time to find and talk to CM or tap out.
3. I need to be able to return when im ready not at a predetermined time. Some instances are 1 and done and im good for awhile. Others hit in waves and can be 20+ min. before they are over.
3. How do i rejoin the line and my family? Do i now have to fight back to them or am i stuck waiting by myself for them to reach the front of the line. If my family has already ridden the ride do i now have to ride alone?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter