DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I don't think it's rude. I have IBS, and, already, Universal has said that conditions like IBS and Crohn's won't qualify for line skippers there. Now Disney is basically saying the same thing, stating that only developmental disabilities, including autism, will qualify for DAS. However, they will be providing other accommodations for people with different medical conditions.

So many people are coming on here saying that they have a different medical condition that is NOT a developmental disability and are trying to say they should get DAS. I'm not sure why they are arguing for that when Disney has clearly said that is not how it's going to work. There will be other accommodations they will provide, but not DAS.

People are frustrated and taking out that frustration on people like me who are basically just restating what Disney has already said: DAS is for a small percentage of people who have severe developmental disabilities and autism. If you have a different medical condition, Disney will accommodate you in a DIFFERENT way, but not with DAS. Some people are responding by saying they just can't wait in long lines due reasons A, B, and C. OK, sure, but those people can still buy Genie+ if they can't wait in long lines and if they aren't happy with the other accommodations Disney provides.
Oh Becky, "line skippers" really? Have the day you deserve.

Disney is required to provide reasonable accommodations for access to attractions. It's not required to accommodate unreasonable expectations. I don't see why a theme park located in a humid, subtropical climate should provide an environment where guests aren't exposed to heat. Guests voluntarily make the choice to visit a theme park located in Florida. If someone has a condition where they can't be exposed to cold, should they expect a ski resort to accommodate that?

Something I have noticed while reading this thread is that many travel parties have multiple individuals with a condition/disability (e.g. I won't qualify anymore but 2 other people in my travel party will qualify). I think this highlights the issue of how prevalent disabilities/conditions are. What is the answer then? There is no physical/financial way for Disney to provide reduced waits for every single party that identifies as having an issue.

I think the often parroted claim that DAS users are waiting the same amount of time (or more) than non-DAS users needs to be toned down. Non-DAS users are not waiting in line as soon as they enter the park and while walking to the attraction. Non-DAS users aren't waiting in line while eating or meeting a character. Non-DAS users aren't waiting in line for Slinky Dog Dash while they ride Rise of the Resistance. Non-DAS users aren't waiting in line while they return to the resort for a nap or a swim break. I'm not saying this shouldn't be in place, but I don't think it's honest to say the "waits" are

The ADA requires that companies provide accommodations that enable people with disabilities to experience public places—which include theme parks—in the same way as people without disabilities.

That means my husband is legally entitled to experience WDW without getting sick from being in the heat.

If Disney doesn’t want him to access DAS, they could do other things like give him a cooling vest. His workplace did that.

But the answer cannot be to simply provide nothing.
Why doesn’t he bring his own vest? My youngest daughter has MS, and she wouldn’t even consider going to Disney (or anyplace, for that matter) without bringing the tools she needs to manage her symptoms to the greatest extent possible.

Of course they don’t have to provide everything. They simply have to provide enough so that disabled people can have the same experience as non-disabled people. So that means getting to ride things without getting sick by waiting in a long line.

It’s not that complicated.
Not the same experience, the same access. Two completely different things.

I asked, “Where is his vest?”
If you've been around "real and true service dogs" why are you asking this question? You know that's not required and you know it doesn't confer any status as being a service dog.
“He doesn’t need one!”
Well they are correct.

A bit of an aside, but I wonder if Disney has considered whether the increase in DAS usage corresponds to the end of Fastpass? It's entirely possible that some folks who needed an accommodation were able to make things work with Fastpass.
I think quite a lot of people have thought that is at least part of it and I'm sure Disney is aware of it, several posters have already described that they used FP+ in lieu of more frequent usage of DAS but with a switch over to Genie+/ILL they found DAS was the majority route.

However it's ultimately still something that Disney can decide they want to narrow on even if this will cause others problems. I think the pondering many people are doing is what they are weeding out and is that allowed---not debating this point just saying I know that's what a lot of chatter is going on about.

From bathroom issues to other situations that used to fall under the larger umbrella they had that seems to be what Disney is looking at. I do want to mention that Disney had MaxPass (MP) over at DLR for several years prior to Genie+/ILL. They did have a paid system already. The difference between DLR and WDW in usage of DAS is a major point but just making the statement that a paid system existed already. At DLR MP had some advantages that paper FPs didn't but paper FPs still existed along side MP.

I myself had wondered if they had brought MP to WDW (which was what many people who visited DLR with it wanted) but kept the free FP+ as an option how that would have gone down. Total random musings here at DLR and WDW are quite different in ways but seeing the past comments related to how FP+ worked for people and it was free and how the adjustment to a paid system meant DAS was more heavily used on their own personal level just had me wondering a "what if"

You know, I was thinking the Disney lawyers probably have a ton of data that says the regular park goers are riding fewer rides than DAS folks. They may even have data that Genie+/ LL folks are also riding fewer rides than DAS folks.

It would explain their current confidence to make a wholesale change b/c if it's true, they will win on any court challenge.
They do. They presented such evidence during the DAS trial a couple of years ago (that they won).

A bit of an aside, but I wonder if Disney has considered whether the increase in DAS usage corresponds to the end of Fastpass? It's entirely possible that some folks who needed an accommodation were able to make things work with Fastpass.
that's me to a T. I'm good for 2-3 hours and perhaps 3-4 rides experiences. I have a physical, not developmental, disability. Always qualified for DAS but never needed it until FP's were removed

@SueM in MN and rest of mods -- thank you for being proactive and reminding folk that we're all here for the same love of Disney, even if some of the recent moves may feel the love back isn't the same.

The current 6 person rule is not a hard stop -- I doubt the 4 person immediate family rule will be too -- which DOES include grandparents (which I'm still surprised immediate = grandparents). Hopefully it'll give CM room to slow down requests for supersized parties.

Bathroom rejoin - I do wonder how this will be implemented for single travelers. At SDCC, the ticket to reenter a room is an easy fix to keep line cutters. but how to do this efficiently with CM staff typically at entry, loading, disability merge points? Will they add a roaming CM now with a virtual queue scanner of sorts to redeem upon return? this will be an interesting thing to see implemented with overall goal of addressing line rejoining in general.

Conspiracy theory: Disney purposefully inflates wait times to help sell more Genie+ and to force DAS users to wait longer.

I agree though, often wait times are much shorter than posted. You can look at Touring Plans and see how their expected wait times are often much shorter than the posted wait time.

I know I still prefer to use DAS even if the wait is longer because you don't always know for sure how long the wait in standby is which could result in medical issues.

But honestly, I'm ok with that - I'd rather wait a little longer outside of the queue than find out a posted 55 minute wait time actually is going to take 55 minutes.
Yes, we have encountered this many time and also usually just wait for the DAS anyway. This is a great example of why DAS isn't the "advantage" that some people think it is. Yes, you can ride a shorter ride while waiting for a longer ride, but many times you are going to be waiting longer for whatever you DAS anyway than you would have in the regular line. So the people in the regular line may have been able to ride those same two rides in the same amount of time as well.

This blurb on WDW's 'Accessing Attraction Queues' page corroborates your hypothesis. It seems as though Autism/ADHD/etc. won't be guaranteed in any capacity to be eligible for DAS:

Here are a few tips and techniques to manage waiting in queues:
  • Encourage other members of your party to help create space around you in line to make it more comfortable.
  • In a theme park environment that requires additional walking or standing, bring a mobility device such as a wheelchair, ECV, walker with a seat or a cane chair.
  • Bring a sensory toy or a calming item—such as a stress ball, favorite device or activity like a tablet, video game, comic book or another item that may be calming or distracting while waiting in a queue.
  • Grab a snack or drink to enjoy while waiting in a queue. Just be sure to finish it before boarding the attraction.
  • Break up your day with other offerings at the Resort that don’t require waiting in a queue, such as entertainment.
  • Don’t forget other items to keep yourself comfortable.Some items to consider bringing include sweater or jacket, sun protection or hat.
Until a CM comes by and asks you to fill in all the available space, which is what has happened to us when we tried this. It is not magical to have argue with a CM about why we are not filling in all the available space.

I don't think it's rude. I have IBS, and, already, Universal has said that conditions like IBS and Crohn's won't qualify for line skippers there. Now Disney is basically saying the same thing, stating that only developmental disabilities, including autism, will qualify for DAS. However, they will be providing other accommodations for people with different medical conditions.

So many people are coming on here saying that they have a different medical condition that is NOT a developmental disability and are trying to say they should get DAS. I'm not sure why they are arguing for that when Disney has clearly said that is not how it's going to work. There will be other accommodations they will provide, but not DAS.

People are frustrated and taking out that frustration on people like me who are basically just restating what Disney has already said: DAS is for a small percentage of people who have severe developmental disabilities and autism. If you have a different medical condition, Disney will accommodate you in a DIFFERENT way, but not with DAS. Some people are responding by saying they just can't wait in long lines due reasons A, B, and C. OK, sure, but those people can still buy Genie+ if they can't wait in long lines and if they aren't happy with the other accommodations Disney provides.
You are not the monolith for your disability. Just like I'm not the monolith for neurodivergent people, or anyone else here is for theirs.

Just because you don't need it except in rare cases does *not* mean it does not apply to others.

They do. They presented such evidence during the DAS trial a couple of years ago (that they won).
And some DAS folks is happy if able to do 3 rides/day even with DAS. It happened to me couple of times. Although I have to tell it does not apply for every each day ... just for some.

Although I do ride the bathroom rides considerably more times/day than the not DAS folks so I guess yaaaay for me ?!

Why doesn’t he bring his own vest? My youngest daughter has MS, and she wouldn’t even consider going to Disney (or anyplace, for that matter) without bringing the tools she needs to manage her symptoms to the greatest extent possible.
His cooling vest wouldn’t solve his particular issues.

Until a CM comes by and asks you to fill in all the available space, which is what has happened to us when we tried this. It is not magical to have argue with a CM about why we are not filling in all the available space.
If your family runs around you fast enough, the CM won't be able to get close enough to you to confront you about it. 🌪

I think the often parroted claim that DAS users are waiting the same amount of time (or more) than non-DAS users needs to be toned down. Non-DAS users are not waiting in line as soon as they enter the park and while walking to the attraction. Non-DAS users aren't waiting in line while eating or meeting a character. Non-DAS users aren't waiting in line for Slinky Dog Dash while they ride Rise of the Resistance. Non-DAS users aren't waiting in line while they return to the resort for a nap or a swim break. I'm not saying this shouldn't be in place, but I don't think it's honest to say the "waits" are equivalent.
But once you wait in the regular line is done, it's done. With DAS once it's your "turn" you still have to go wait, sometimes 30+ minutes. There are multiple times that we have went to our DAS ride just to find the LL lane so long that we either cancel (in which we just wasted 60+ minutes waiting) or decide to keep it and come back later (which means we cannot get another in the meantime). We are lucky to get more than 5 rides a day (total, not just DAS rides) because of this.

Oh Becky, "line skippers" really? Have the day you deserve.
You beat me to it.
You are not the monolith for your disability. Just like I'm not the monolith for neurodivergent people, or anyone else here is for theirs.

Just because you don't need it except in rare cases does *not* mean it does not apply to others.
This is the issue for me. I have lupus, but it has never affected me as far as my Disney vacations are concerned. I’m not the spokesperson for those with lupus. One of my kids is on the spectrum. But he’s never had issues going to the parks or waiting in line. I’m certainly not going to argue that because one of my kids doesn’t need an accommodation, no one else should. I always assumed DAS was granted based not on diagnosis but individual needs on a case-by-case basis. Disney’s verbiage suggests they are no longer doing that, unless you have a specific diagnosis.

It also could make sense for some people.

I’ve seen some folks talk about how they can only handle 2-3 hours in the parks before their condition makes it impossible to stay. In that case, they would need to be able to do more rides in a shorter period of time.
No, they should be able to do the same number of rides in three hours as someone without a DAS.

Last edited:
OK, sure, but those people can still buy Genie+ if they can't wait in long lines and if they aren't happy with the other accommodations Disney provides
We’ve gone over this so many times now. Genie+ is not comparable. It can sell out. It limits to 1 ride a day on a particular attraction. It is time-windowed. It also does not even include most big ticket attractions. Do some disabled people just have to skip these? Or would you suggest they buy a further product for a ride that would be free for you? Genie+ is designed to supplement main queueing, be it DAS or standby.

If the leave/rejoin is not a reasonable accommodation for someone and Genie+ is sold out, that’s their day a write off. How do you explain that to someone?

This is probably not very practical at this point, but I was thinking about how a truly "equal access" system could be designed if you were starting from scratch, that would solve the problem of people needing to leave the line, especially if they were in a scooter or wheelchair. Imagine a large, indoor air-conditioned DAS waiting room that included plenty of benches and open space for mobility vehicles, and included its own accessible bathroom facilities and made free water available. Each DAS waiting room might be designated for one single ride or for multiple rides in the same area. Anyone who has been issued with a DAS and wishes to do a ride scans into the waiting room and waits in there for whatever the current standby wait time is, minus 15 minutes, at which point they can leave the waiting room and enter the ride via the LL. Anyone leaving the room early loses their place in the virtual line, but given that the room includes bathroom facilities and offers water, there should be no reason for anyone to need to do this. This would deter potential abusers as it would not give them time to do more rides than they would otherwise be able to do, while allowing DAS holders to wait for the ride in air-conditioned comfort, and would fully solve the logistical problem of people in mobility devices needing to leave the line to use the bathroom.
Ok, are they providing access to food for when I need to manage a hypoglycemic event? I get the general idea you're proposing but coralling those who use DAS and then punishing those who leave (crowding in the waiting area or whatever the reason is) the VQ is not an answer either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter