• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I am frustrated with the change. My daughter was diagnosed with leukemia when she was 2. (We did MAW). However she has relapsed THREE times since. So by age 11, she had cancer 4 TIMES. We did utilize DAS when she was 5 & 8. We were hoping to go as a family to celebrate a year since her bone marrow transplant but now she won’t qualify. She has ZERO developmental disabilities but not all her life long side effects can be solved by just being in a wheelchair either. It is frustrating. I would love for them to just require documentation or a doctors note to stop the abuse instead of disqualifying people that may truly need it.

This is probably not very practical at this point, but I was thinking about how a truly "equal access" system could be designed if you were starting from scratch, that would solve the problem of people needing to leave the line, especially if they were in a scooter or wheelchair. Imagine a large, indoor air-conditioned DAS waiting room that included plenty of benches and open space for mobility vehicles, and included its own accessible bathroom facilities and made free water available. Each DAS waiting room might be designated for one single ride or for multiple rides in the same area. Anyone who has been issued with a DAS and wishes to do a ride scans into the waiting room and waits in there for whatever the current standby wait time is, minus 15 minutes, at which point they can leave the waiting room and enter the ride via the LL. Anyone leaving the room early loses their place in the virtual line, but given that the room includes bathroom facilities and offers water, there should be no reason for anyone to need to do this. This would deter potential abusers as it would not give them time to do more rides than they would otherwise be able to do, while allowing DAS holders to wait for the ride in air-conditioned comfort, and would fully solve the logistical problem of people in mobility devices needing to leave the line to use the bathroom.
So basically it would be DAS jail 🤣

My son has used DAS and it's precursors for 10+ years. I have heard the rhetoric blaming DAS for increased wait times, but I have seen no evidence of this. 90% of the time, the families immediately in front and behind us are NOT DAS, but VIP, rider swap, or LL/G+. (Easy to tell bc they scan differently.) I am sure some abuse is happening, but DAS is not the reason for 20+ minute LL waits, and whether we wait in the standby line, bathroom, or bench outside the LL entrance does not lengthen the standby wait time. They are making DAS the scapegoat for financially motivated decisions. A few of these changes are totally reasonable--like eliminating pre-booking, and 10 minute wait before rebooking. Others such as restricting which disabilities qualify and further limiting party size are cruel in ways they don't understand. Most of us who actually need DAS would be happy to provide all the medical documentation in the world if it would result in accommodations that actually work for our family, not cookie cutter boxes with arbitrary restrictions.

I would love to go back to the days when parks were open longer hours, and FP+ in the cooler, less crowded evenings meant we rarely needed to use the DAS or GAC. Unfortunately, Disney has done a great job of streamlining operations such that there are no longer slow times or walk-on rides. We have no choice but to use DAS far more than in the past. It really angers me that DAS users are being blamed for impacting the experience of other guests when Disney created these issues intentionally to increase profit.

Eta- As a stockholder I support the drive for profit. I just want this to be recognized as the financially motivated initiative it is intended rather than their false rhetoric of reducing abuse and improving the guest experience.
“These changes come after Disney officials said DAS usage has tripled at the parks over the past five years.”

I have the poster you're replying to muted because the lack of compassion and reliance on speculation is frustrating me, but I just wanted to join the conversation to say a few things from the perspective of a T1D. So I'm not responding to disagree - CGMs are great! Just to add some context for those who think they're going to fix the need for accommodations.

CGMs are not a panacea. They often fail and give incorrect readings with dehydration, more activity than usual, stress, compression (like seatbelts and safety harnesses), separation from receiving device (it's bluetooth, so even having to put it in a different pocket will interrupt the signal), and heat. CGMs work by reading interstital fluid, and lots of things can mess up the accuracy. CGM readings are also delayed compared to finger sticks, so treatment decisions end up also being delayed, which will significantly increase recovery time and rebound lows/highs.

If you're lucky enough to have a closed loop system where your pump talks to the CGM, these conditions mean your pump will deliver too much or too little insulin and possibly send you into shock.

Even with a CGM, diabetics will need to frequently do finger sticks as their normal body signals for lows and highs (if they even have them) will also be out of whack during a highly active vacation if they're not used to it. I have a closed loop system (truly transformational, highly recommend it!), and find I still have to check at minimum 2 and up to 9 times a day on vacation.

And with diabetes, it's not a matter of "well controlled" or "not well controlled." With these tools and very careful planning, I've kept my A1C in a non-diabetic range for four years now. On vacation, everything goes to sh*t. I can't reliably estimate protein, fiber, and carb counts to accurately dose, I can't predict precisely when and how I'll get exercise or NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis), sleep schedules are thrown off, and crucially - planning timing for meals is harder.

And because I'm used to near-perfect numbers, the slightest changes send my body into a panic that I'm about to die. Often on vacation, they'll go super out of control despite being extremely careful. I've never been hospitalized for a low, but twice at Disney I've found myself with tunnel vision, nearing blackout. One of the times Aladdin walked by and said I didn't look like I was having much fun (I was not). Those lows take an hour or more to recover from, and usually I spend the rest of the day pretty ill on a BG roller coaster (not an ideal amusement park ride).

All of these issues are ones I run into on other travels: to Europe, tropical destinations, work trips. But there is a lot more flexibility with how I can manage my time and health on those trips. I am not, in essence, in competition with fellow travelers to be able to have a fun time like I am at Disney. I am paying hundreds of dollars for 12 or less hours in a theme park, and issues with disability caused by demands on my time make me unable to match the pace of able-bodied people.
I appreciate your response but I was only responding the usefulness of it for my in-law and how it changed his daily life for him. That was tangently related to the other poster's comment about checking their blood sugar in line (and the looks from other people and practicality of frequent checking by finger pricks including sanitation of it). I explicitly stated it may not work for them. No two people are alike in their condition and there are several brands of the patches which of course interact with each person differently along with how their own body reacts. I was not offering a solution en masse and it's unfortunate that was taken that way.

I grew up with a father with Type 2 diabetes (and have been on medical watches for it my whole life due to a close family relative having it), have known my step-father-in-law for 16 years also with it. I am not making generalized comments regarding a medical condition, both of them have had drastically different bodily reactions, restrictions and ways of life even with the same diagnosis. As far as frequent finger pricks (as opposed to occasional) that is dependent on the model of the patch, the individual person's doctor's advice, other medication they are taking or took that day and lifestyle. No two people are going to have the same recommendation there. The patches aren't intended to remove checking by blood ever.

As far as your last statement about how much you're paying again respectfully we pay hundreds to go to Universal for me to ride very little of their rides due to my own issues with motion sickness and not wanting high drops or loops. I am in no way comparing my stuff with your stuff but am saying I dislike comparisons about how much money someone is spending, for lack of a better way than saying I may be able-bodied but that doesn't mean I'm getting more out of my park ticket than someone who is not.

Again I do appreciate your response but my comment wasn't intended to lead to this type of discussion :flower3: Please understand I am not trying to personally frustrate you like the other poster and hope you don't take it that way!

I’m just sharing what helped me not giving medical advice. This is a public forum.l and we were sharing individual experiences. You can chose to ignore as the person above did.

In any case I apologize if I sounded condescending or something.
Oh yeah, people with similar disabilities sharing experiences is very different from weekday I was talking about (non-disabled people offering advice) I'll edit to clarify!

For the people wondering about the number of people on a DAS, under the current system I can have as many people attached to my DAS as I want (I think I’ve had 10 at one point), but I can only add up to 5 people to a ride. I’m sure it will work the same way when the changes go into effect.

While it does suck they decreased the limit to 4, because occasionally I will have my partner and 3 friends accompany us, I think it’s definitely a good change. In my situation it’s not necessary everyone waits in the line together, although it would be nice. I think they will be more lenient in family + grandparent type situations.

There is a lot of catastrophizing going on here and a lot of negative assumptions being made like "If they don't give me a DAS I might go in the line" and "Well X disability isn't being mentioned, that must mean they won't accommodate X at all!".

I get everyone is stressed, but until we know more there is no point on catastrophizing.
Really appreciate this post. I think a lot of us with disabilities or with disabled kids are the type to try to arm ourselves with as much info as possible for safety to the point of causing more stress than we should. But when a bad decision on vacation can lead to severe illness, I think it's pretty normal. We're also on a Disney forum, which means we've got the overlapping audiences of over-prepared disabled people and over-prepared Disney fans.

Disney is usually pretty good at giving information on changes ahead of time, and we're all used to thousands of people having the exact anecdotes we need for decision making (best method of rope-dropping Remy's from Pop if we have kids in a stroller, for example). This is going to be a long month of not knowing anything.

I think it's good for all of us to keep in mind (especially able-bodied posters) that many here are just venting frustrations and anxieties to what they hope is an empathetic audience.

Speculation isn't helping, and unsolicited medical advice is both unsafe and rude to give.

Being thankful that others' accommodations are being removed is also not great. There are dozens of other forums you can gleefully celebrate the loss of DAS for most. Reddit, Touring Plans, Twitter, will all welcome your attitude.

Yes, but it's up to Disney to decide, and apparently that's their decision, too. I'm glad, because DAS is being overused and abused.

My condition does make things difficult sometimes. For example, I recently had an episode flare up as I was literally waiting to have my boarding pass scanned to board the plane. I had to leave for the bathroom, come back, leave AGAIN and come back again. I was so nervous they would board without me and I'd miss my flight! I choose a seat at the very back of the plane and always in the aisle for quick access to the restroom. Most of the time, it isn't needed. However, if it ever is needed, I'm so glad I'm seated where I am. Further more, my dad has Crohn's as well as a type of prostate cancer that makes it urgent when he needs to pee, too. So, I completely understand medical needs that require quick access to the bathroom. On road trips, we pack a pop-up shower tent in case we can't make it to the next exit for bathroom use. So, again, I understand urgent needs to use the bathroom.

DAS is not the accommodation we need! If you're having a flare up, it does NOT help to wait 20 minutes in a LL. You can't go 20 minutes without access to the bathroom during a flare like that. DAS is not the proper accommodation for bathroom needs like IBS-D, Crohn's, and prostate cancer. Instead, the ability to leave and return to the line is a much more appropriate accommodation. If you're having a flare, standing in a shorter line doesn't help. If you're not having a flare, then you don't need to be skipping the line all day every day. You can wait in lines. Getting DAS for medical needs like this is absolutely part of the DAS abuse, in my opinion. I'm so glad Disney sees it that way too and is offering a different accommodation. Good for them. You can still buy LL if you want it.
Disney should be basing decisions on individuals and their needs - not blanket approaches based on a guest’s diagnosis.

I have UC and everyone’s experience of the condition can be wildly different - remission/flare, complications, treatments, treatment side effects.

It is not helpful to state that a line-return system with anyone with conditions like yours is a reasonable accommodation. I have several posts on this thread with many reasons why it would not work for me. One being the fact the anxiety of being in the queue exacerbates my symptoms. Another is the simple fact I am less likely to have an accident if I am in physical queues for a lesser amount of time over a day. Return to queue is useless for me given the nature of my symptoms.

The reason we think something like MS won’t be accommodated is because of how Disney words it on their website (emphasis is mine):

DAS is one of the programs offered at Walt Disney World Resort theme parks intended to accommodate only those Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.

Thing is, that only says it will not be accommodated by DAS, not that it won't be accommodated at all. And until they say as a fact that issues like MS won't be accommodated in anyway then all that is happening is catastrophizing.

Maybe that one poster is right and the accommodation provided will be allowing and storing cooling vests like they allow and store medicine in the First Aid, maybe it will be something else. Until they release more info nobody actually knows.

Last edited:
Interesting perspective from a former CM on Reddit:

The Issue with DAS from a former CM

The main issue that comes with the current DAS system and why Disney needs to revamp it is that everybody deals with something. Most people at some point in their lives will have a physical, or mental need for a DAS pass.

We are all the main characters of our stories so we all see the needs that we, as individuals, have.

For example, over 19% of adults, about 40 million people in the United States suffer from a diagnosed anxiety disorder (National Alliance on Mental Health). Another (and theres definitely some people with both or all three) 9 million adults suffer from ADHD, 1 in 36 children are being disgnosed with autism (statista.org). These are some reasons I see everyday of people needing the DAS pass.

Further, 4.7-5.3% of adults have IBS/IBD, those people also need the DAS pass. Not to mention heart conditions, pots, sun allergies, overheating, PTSD, claustrophobic people, and those who have panic attacks. We're approaching near 3/5 of the population.

All in all, almost every person deals with something and everybodys case is unique, and most people feel that they need/are entitled to a DAS pass. And I here the stories and most of everyone has valid reasons to themselves on why they need the pass.

So where should Disney draw the line? This isn't even mentioning everyone who has mobility issues with only standing, but does not feel the need for a wheelchair.

The system is broken- because a large majority of the population need/feel entitled to the system.

Signed- a former cast member who used das for her crohns, pots, and heart condition. (And anxiety but I'm not counting that one).

I genuinely want peoples thoughts for a solution.

That’s great that it works for you. It doesn’t work for my husband, who has MS. Under this system, he’s left with nothing.
That's not necessarily true. Nothing has been implemented and nothing is ever set in stone.

When GAC transitioned to DAS there was arguably louder consternation and anxiety of the change. The overall product got better with reducing abuse and leveling equity in a more efficient manner.

DAS 2.0 did this further, and arguably pushed the equity too far with 2 preselected rides.

We do not know where DAS 3.0 will be initially or tweaked.

What I do know is Disney really does care about its visitors with disabilities more than any other entertainment company. It doesn't want to assign this to a 3rd party to blame or wash its hand. It's trying to do the right thing in rightsizing the program and ways persons with disabilities are able to access their theme parks -- DAS is not the only tool at their disposal.

CMs are given a tremendous level of latitude to help make reasonable accommodations. Respect that when interacting with the CMs.

Kindness during a stressful period can be a potent medicine.

We all will get through this.

Let's also acknowledge that, for those with disabilities and those who care for those with disabilities, our lives are often very much filled with obstacles, ground faults, shake-ups, uncertainties. It's a full-on second job to manage a condition for yourself or for someone else. Indeed, while we do this for ourselves and our loved ones, having to navigate a world with a disability causes its own kind of trauma and we develop trauma responses as a result. I have seen the hoops people have to go to JUST to get common ADHD meds, if they're even available to be had, and for someone who already HAS challenges in this area, it's akin to torture trying to navigate the various systems we are called upon to use. I think there are a lot of people 'catastrophizing' in this thread because in a world/life full of challenges and obstacles, Disney had a system that worked for them and brought them joy and made their lives easier, for once in a blue moon. And now it's changing, and people have good reason to worry that someday Disney will become as challenging as the rest of the world.

I don't really have any promises or solutions for you/us, but I wanted to know that you are being heard and your feelings are valid and shared.

Ah, but there are so many $50 mister fans to choose from - he could even purchase one with Mickey ears.

Surely T1 diabetics never knew they could resolve their issues by "just bringing food" before, the sillies. Nevermind that I've run into many cast members who won't let you bring food into the line at all.
seriously. DD is a type 1 diabetic. it's a tricky thing, with excitement adding to highs and lows. we have to be ready for anything and being stuck in a line for a prolonged period of time can be a bit stressful. Especially in queues that are more enclosed, like Rise.

That's not necessarily true. Nothing has been implemented and nothing is ever set in stone.

When GAC transitioned to DAS there was arguably louder consternation and anxiety of the change. The overall product got better with reducing abuse and leveling equity in a more efficient manner.

DAS 2.0 did this further, and arguably pushed the equity too far with 2 preselected rides.

What I do know is Disney really does care about its visitors with disabilities more than any other entertainment company. It doesn't want to assign this to a 3rd party to blame or wash its hand. It's trying to do the right thing in rightsizing the program and ways persons with disabilities are able to access their theme parks -- DAS is not the only tool at their disposal.

CMs are given a tremendous level of latitude to help make reasonable accommodations. Respect that when interacting with the CMs.

When Disney says DAS is now only for those with developmental disabilities, it doesn’t inspire confidence.

We have kids with severe food allergies and the accommodations are what keep us coming back (we have to fill extra forms and know where we will dine exactly 2 weeks ahead of time whenever we cruise or go to WDW). We’ve been to other vacation spots say Mexico or oversees and the allergic accommodations are minimal and it makes a huge difference in choosing where it Vacation.

Interesting perspective from a former CM on Reddit:

The Issue with DAS from a former CM

The main issue that comes with the current DAS system and why Disney needs to revamp it is that everybody deals with something. Most people at some point in their lives will have a physical, or mental need for a DAS pass.

We are all the main characters of our stories so we all see the needs that we, as individuals, have.

For example, over 19% of adults, about 40 million people in the United States suffer from a diagnosed anxiety disorder (National Alliance on Mental Health). Another (and theres definitely some people with both or all three) 9 million adults suffer from ADHD, 1 in 36 children are being disgnosed with autism (statista.org). These are some reasons I see everyday of people needing the DAS pass.

Further, 4.7-5.3% of adults have IBS/IBD, those people also need the DAS pass. Not to mention heart conditions, pots, sun allergies, overheating, PTSD, claustrophobic people, and those who have panic attacks. We're approaching near 3/5 of the population.

All in all, almost every person deals with something and everybodys case is unique, and most people feel that they need/are entitled to a DAS pass. And I here the stories and most of everyone has valid reasons to themselves on why they need the pass.

So where should Disney draw the line? This isn't even mentioning everyone who has mobility issues with only standing, but does not feel the need for a wheelchair.

The system is broken- because a large majority of the population need/feel entitled to the system.

Signed- a former cast member who used das for her crohns, pots, and heart condition. (And anxiety but I'm not counting that one).

I genuinely want peoples thoughts for a solution.

Any genuine solutions start with recognizing the prevalence of disability in our society (which I appreciate that this Reddit user does) and planning for inclusion, rather than treating disabled people as a minority whose voice just doesn't matter much. (No, that's not the attitude seeing here, but it is absolutely the attitude I have seen in society in general. In fact just had this basic thing said to me by multiple people locally in regards to a school issue).

Disney does this planning better than most, in terms of their ride vehicles/show experiences, but less so with the overall environment. The volume of shows and fireworks music, for ex, doesn't need to be so deafeningly loud. Queues that were more sound absorbent than sound amplifying would help many be able to access the lines better. Etc, etc.Disney started on a great path with this with the sensory/accessible playground now in toontown at Disneyland. More proactive planning and thinking like this is needed.

But for now society in general sees disability accommodations as an afterthought, rather than something to be proactive about. Until that changes, any true solutions will be hard to come by.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter