DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Honestly I think the main problem was Disney's wording and the seeming restriction of DAS to only developmental abilities without any details on what if any alternate accommodations would be available for those who had previously used it for other conditions.

I'm sure they wanted to get the new program rolling before summer, but this was a mess. They should have had all their ducks in a row and answers to the obvious questions people would have ready before announcing.

Next thing you know we'll only be able to turn left! But kidding aside if they are able to pinpoint locations like that it would be interesting
They can indeed pinpoint your location with Magicbands, have been able to for a long time now. But I don't think that is feasible for queues.

Insulin is a medication. Very different.

Disney has to provide reasonable accommodation. That could involve a variety of things. He’d be happy with a cooling vest, but I’m not sure how that would work, given that Disney isn’t requiring documentation. So what’s stopping people without MS from claiming they need one? What happens if we get there and there aren’t any left?
With that mindset, then Disney would need to provide ECV's for free?

I actually think the cooling vests are a great idea. I don't think there will be that many people that will go through the online approval process and then actually want/need to wear a vest in the park on any given day.

I actually think the cooling vests are a great idea. I don't think there will be that many people that will go through the online approval process and then actually want/need to wear a vest in the park on any given day.
Lots of folks already bring cooling towels along with them.
Folks who wish to use a vest might prefer their own rather than one worn by multiple guests.

Lots of folks already bring cooling towels along with them.
Folks who prefer a vest would probably like their own rather than one worn by multiple guests.

The vest is a necessity because a towel isn’t enough.

But that doesn’t help with the significant GI issues coming from his meds. That’s the main reason Disney has said he has qualified for DAS.

I didn’t read through every response so apologies if someone already said this but maybe they just need to remove the conditions of the DAS pass that takes away the possibility to strategize getting the most number of rides.

1) Don’t allow DAS holders to preselect two rides.

2) Don’t allow DAS holders to ride other rides while they are waiting. So for example if they tap for Space Mountain and it is a 50 minute wait then they can come back in 50 minutes but they can’t use the time to do other rides. You can shop, eat, rest but then you take away the advantage of being able to wait and ride more rides at the same time

Good lord you can probably get it on a Teledoc I bet these days. Or you can write it yourself for this- it’s not like anyone can call up the Dr and ask if it’s real, they can’t be giving out that info. Which is the problem with Universal’s approach. A doctors note is a cute idea until you realize in 5 mins you can write your own because they can’t verify them.

Disney’s approach may make more sense in this manner as you may actually have to talk to a medical professional/ have your case analyzed by a medical professional who you are not paying.
Actually, you can't write your own for Universal. The documentation must contain not only the provider's name, but also their address, phone number, and license number. DO they check? I'm not 100% sure. But they reserve the RIGHT to check (which is perfectly legal, since the patient voluntarily provided the information), so you'd be taking a heck of a chance.

I feel like a better way to cut back on abuse would be to require a scan in at the ride to get a DAS return time. Then abusers don’t see as much benefit (ie being able to select the next return time as soon as you scan in at your current ride and counting the walk over as part of your queue time). Because if you scan into RoR for example, that whole experience between pre shows and sorting into ride vehicles can easily take 30 min. Then add a 15 min walk to your next ride and you can immediately scan in at the LL on a ride that has a 60 min standby. I think that is a big motivator for the abusers.
They used to do that. It was murder for people like my dad, for whom every step is difficult, as well as for people with autism, who didn't understand why they had to go to the ride but not ride it.

They aren’t picking and choosing which disabilities will get accommodations - they’re picking and choosing which specific needs will get this specific accommodation.

No one is entitled to their preferred accommodation, it just need to be an accommodation.
You've said variations of this so many times in so many different ways. And it misses the entire point every single time. Everyone should be entitled to an accommodation that actually WORKS for them. Let's go to a random, ridiculous example: Disney decides that the one and only accommodation for EVERYONE, regardless of disability, is to use elevators instead of stairs. Well, that's a really great accommodation for those who use mobility devices and have no other disabilities. But what exactly does it do for those with autism or claustrophobia or any other reason they can't wait in line? It's AN accommodation, so by your theory, that should be good enough, whether it works for individuals or not.

Yep, and Disney has decided that the needs of many current DAS users can be met with a different accommodation than the DAS.

The DAS as currently utilized is obviously disruptive to park operations. Disney already has a federal court case win saying that they don’t have to further disrupt park operations in order to provide a specific requested accommodation. No way a decision like this is made without massive legal research, and I have no doubt that Disney is on firm legal ground here.

The complaints we’re hearing today are the same complaints we heard 11 years ago when Disney eliminated the GAC - they’re gonna get sued and lose, this is illegal, etc.

How did that all turn out?
Well, it's true enough that it worked out fine for Disney. It didn't work out so well for the guests that were impacted by it. My dad was an AP for decades, from back before he ever got disabled, when he happily waited in lines with everyone else. Once he became disabled, he didn't think he'd be able to go anymore. But the GAC was a lifesaver that let him keep going to the parks 2-4 times a week (and spending money every time). Once it switched to the DAS, going to Disney became a lot more painful and miserable for him. So now he goes maaaaybe once every year or two, assuming the stars are all aligned and his procedures are working well and he has a really good pain day. Now he won't even be able to do that because he gets zero accommodations apparently.
I believe by saying “developmental disabilities or similar” and using “autism” as an example, Disney is not limiting disabilities to only developmental disabilities, it is clearly eliminating physical disabilities. Face it, those physical disabilities are already accommodated with accessible queues, ramps, accommodating ride vehicles, return times, etc.
No they're not. Not for people with certain pain conditions that make sitting in a wheelchair an impossibility and every step feel like fire. There are physical disabilities that are NOT accommodated without a DAS.
But the ADA tempers that with accommodations that significantly impact operations and/or other guests are not required. I do believe the issue Disney is trying to correct is the vast number of people in the LL queue. I don’t have the answer and wish Disney had shared more about how the “leave the line” pass will work. How/where do folks rejoin? Whole party or individual (or individual w/helper)? When? Those all need to be known before one can say “ it doesn’t work.”
With all due respect, some people know that the "leave the line" pass doesn't work for them because they know their personal conditions. When it's a vertebra completely pushed forward and held by a ligament, the issue isn't going to be resolved by expending even more steps to push your way out through a crowd, walk somewhere to recover, walk back, and push your way back into the line. It just doesn't work like that. And when that vertebra is in the very lower spine, you can't sit in a wheelchair either.

ETA: I think the fundamental problem is G+, and especially how they priced it. The program is just cheap enough that's huge demand for it. But just expensive enough (and difficult enough to use) for people to want to find a way around it. They need to either go back to a free system (FP+ or even original FP) or go ahead and go the universal route and make paid skip the line access a true premium product. Universal's able to accommodate everyone who needs it because there isn't THAT much demand for their express passes, because they're expensive. They sell enough that they still make a killing, but there aren't so many of them out there that they're clogging up the lines. My dad has a higher level of accommodations at Universal (based on a ton of medical documentation that Uni DID verify with his doctors), and even during HHN on a sold out night, we've never waited more than 45 min in Express. Generally no more than 15 minutes on average day. Are people abusing the Uni system? Probably, though probably significantly less now that they have to go through the third party system. But not in enough numbers that it impacts anyone's experience, either those who have paid for express or those using various accommodations.

Last edited:
I didn’t read through every response so apologies if someone already said this but maybe they just need to remove the conditions of the DAS pass that takes away the possibility to strategize getting the most number of rides.

1) Don’t allow DAS holders to preselect two rides.

2) Don’t allow DAS holders to ride other rides while they are waiting. So for example if they tap for Space Mountain and it is a 50 minute wait then they can come back in 50 minutes but they can’t use the time to do other rides. You can shop, eat, rest but then you take away the advantage of being able to wait and ride more rides at the same time
So if you’re holding DAS for a popular ride and there’s a ride with no wait, you can’t go into the standby line? How will enforcement of that work? They’d have to scan everyone in at the standby line entrance to check if you have a pending DAS.

Exactly.

From all of the ADA stuff I have seen (other than the architectural part about modifying buildings to be accessible to everyone) It is always about modifying procedures/policies. Letting a service animal in when they usually wouldn't, allowing someone a ECV when they usually wouldn't, etc.

There is nothing in there that they have to provide any equipment that you may need for a disability. It would be on the individual to bring what they need. Disney would just have to allow them to use it if it's for a legitimate disability. Otherwise the costs for them would be astronomical

DLR - wait times for LL has routinely increased over 30minutes for many rides and has resulted to essentially a system that does not accommodate the return time intent of DAS itself in current day reality.

Those objecting to the the changes will still have issues without a new policy like the return to line that is clearly being adopted in response to a specific uptick of abuse. This is the same reason why GAC transitioned to DAS due to rampant highly visible abuses.

DAS usage has absolutely increased. It's not uncommon to have 2 DAS parties tapping in these days. It's not rare by any means.

Disney found it time to address now. How it will be implemented and enforced will be interesting.

I'm also interested to see how this impacts line rejoining too as entire families 'rejoin' often which this appears to be able to address as no person without a 'bathroom pass' can rejoin
While I think that there has indeed been some abuse, I don't think that is the sole problem with long lines. I mean, let's look at Disneyland Resort for an example, there used to be a lot more activities that would eat up the crowds, such as:
Shows at the Hyperion Theater, Fantasyland Theater, Hollywood Backlot Stage, San Francisco area stage, Pixar Pier stages, 2 day time parade show times and 2 night time parade show times, Fantasmic!, shows (more than just a Piano player) in the Golden Horseshoe, Citizens of Buena Vista Street, the trolley show, bands in New Orleans Square and on Tom Sawyers Island. None of these are fully operational right now, yes, some are more minor than others and some have minimal operation currently like the Citizens of Buena Vista Street and a piano player at the Golden Horseshoe, but all of these things eat up the crowds and reduce line times for everyone. And I am sure I missed a few like the college band no longer being around, etc.

Exactly.

From all of the ADA stuff I have seen (other than the architectural part about modifying buildings to be accessible to everyone) It is always about modifying procedures/policies. Letting a service animal in when they usually wouldn't, allowing someone a ECV when they usually wouldn't, etc.

There is nothing in there that they have to provide any equipment that you may need for a disability. It would be on the individual to bring what they need. Disney would just have to allow them to use it if it's for a legitimate disability. Otherwise the costs for them would be astronomical
It’s not always about modifications. My husband’s workplace provided him with a cooling vest. Workplaces have to make computers accessible by providing necessary software and accessories needed to use that software.

My daughter is dyslexic. Her school has to provide a pen attached to headphones, that allows her to run the pen across text and have the text read to her.

All of that is legally mandated because it allows for the same experience at work or school as everyone else.

We are a family of 5 and just reading about the new DAS changes. So now half our party doesn’t get to go with the already limited rides our 4 year old qualifies for? This past trip we did the least amount of rides due to multiple issues with her (we lost sight of her as she sneaked off, sudden elopement etc). The biggest challenge with the chat was getting her to sit still and keep clothes on and look up for the picture. Someone mentioned they took a picture of a napping child. It was not the case for us last trip (Oct 2023).

Can anyone verify that immediate family is allowed

On the flip side of that, my wife has always "not wanted to be a problem" and has powered through, and one year she was really struggling and not getting on a lot, and going back to the room a lot until a cast member said "You really should be on the DAS" and they did an interview at guest services and changed her trip, AND her life at Disney on future trips... Of course, NOW she does the interview ahead of time, but that saved her trip that time.

Now that might go away...

This kind of happened with my wife too. We never knew about DAS, and as someone with AuDHD she really struggled with going to Disney with me. Panic attacks in line, etc. But she soldiered on because she knew how much going meant to me, and wanted to experience it with me, even though it would leave her so depleted even after just an hour or two. We did everything we could to mitigate the effects, doing rope drop and picking 'lower' crowd times, but once you got in line, all of those advantages kind of go away because you're in such a confined space with people on top of you, brushing against you, kind of walling you in. We only found out about DAS last year, and it was SUCH a game changer for us. I'm glad that the DAS changes sound like they will still accommodate her, especially since our son is also pending an eval this Dec and is likely to also be diagnosed, just based on what we're seeing.

Just because someone CAN power through doesn't mean they should HAVE to, because powering through always comes at a cost, oftentimes an unseen one.

Agreed on both points. I’m solo 90% of my visits to WDW. I’m also a very petite person: when in queues alone, I literally cannot see past all of the taller bodies surrounding me - it’s like being in a loud tunnel of humans. I actually have politely asked fellow Guests if they could please give ma a little extra space… some have been very kind and accommodating (one family basically “adopted” me into their family and counted me in their head count to ride so they could make sure I had extra space on the ride, too - amazing!), some gave me a dirty look but did help me out, and one threw some expletives at me and told his kids to “get right up in her space.” I stopped asking after that incident.

I’ve also quietly asked CMs if I can please stand off to the side in crowded spaces where there isn’t a queue, exactly, and was told no: “all available space MUST be filled.”

I wear earbuds when needed: it helps a little and can get me through a 30-min wait. I distract by playing a game on my phone. I practice breathing exercises and meditation. I try to avoid crowded areas and do rides when they have shorter wait times. I avoid entire parks completely some days. I very rarely spend more than a few hours in a park, and often only do 2-3 rides in a day, often not even using the DAS access. I do everything I can on my part to accommodate my own needs, and that is exactly what I expressed to the CM when I first inquired about DAS - and it was the CM who expressly told me that DAS exists so that maybe I don’t need to do quite so much of that: to offer a tool that lifts some of the burden of accommodation off of me so that I might enjoy Disney in a way closer to that of someone without my condition can.
One thing that can help get the physical space is use a mobility scooter. By it's very nature in forces space around you, but then there are whole hosts of other issues that come with it.

We are a family of 5 and just reading about the new DAS changes. So now half our party doesn’t get to go with the already limited rides our 4 year old qualifies for? This past trip we did the least amount of rides due to multiple issues with her (we lost sight of her as she sneaked off, sudden elopement etc). The biggest challenge with the chat was getting her to sit still and keep clothes on and look up for the picture. Someone mentioned they took a picture of a napping child. It was not the case for us last trip (Oct 2023).

Can anyone verify that immediate family is allowed

No, because none of this takes effect until May 20th and right now details are scarce. The intent seems to be that exceptions will be made for minor children within the same family but no one will know anything for sure until it actually takes effect.

It’s not always about modifications. My husband’s workplace provided him with a cooling vest. Workplaces have to make computers accessible by providing necessary software and accessories needed to use that software.

My daughter is dyslexic. Her school has to provide a pen attached to headphones, that allows her to run the pen across text and have the text read to her.

All of that is legally mandated because it allows for the same experience at work or school as everyone else.
School and workplaces are different as you are being paid to be there or are required to be there. Also there could be an argument made that his workplace went above and beyond by providing that for him, when they could have just allowed him to use one he brought

This kind of happened with my wife too. We never knew about DAS, and as someone with AuDHD she really struggled with going to Disney with me. Panic attacks in line, etc. But she soldiered on because she knew how much going meant to me, and wanted to experience it with me, even though it would leave her so depleted even after just an hour or two. We did everything we could to mitigate the effects, doing rope drop and picking 'lower' crowd times, but once you got in line, all of those advantages kind of go away because you're in such a confined space with people on top of you, brushing against you, kind of walling you in. We only found out about DAS last year, and it was SUCH a game changer for us. I'm glad that the DAS changes sound like they will still accommodate her, especially since our son is also pending an eval this Dec and is likely to also be diagnosed, just based on what we're seeing.

Just because someone CAN power through doesn't mean they should HAVE to, because powering through always comes at a cost, oftentimes an unseen one.
We didn’t know about DAS until last year (we thought it was for kids in wheelchairs) and we’ve been going for over a decade. Our DD4 has been 4 times. Her speech therapist told us she would qualify last year given her sudden elopement and sensory issues (identified when she was 2, but she was in a baby carrier).

School and workplaces are different as you are being paid to be there or are required to be there. Also there could be an argument made that his workplace went above and beyond by providing that for him, when they could have just allowed him to use one he brought
Under ADA, they are not different. Theme parks are considered public places and are required to accommodate.

No one is required to be at a workplace. Working is not a legal requirement.

According to the Disney website: DAS registration maximum party size is the registered DAS Guest and up to 3 additional party members, for a total of 4 people.

There is no mention of immediate family, so I'm not sure where that is coming from.

Also, another change I noticed on the website that's new to me (I haven't read this entire thread) is: The Guest may obtain another return time for the same or different attraction 10 minutes after they redeem a return time.

When we last used DAS, we were able to select a new attraction as soon as we scanned into the current one. Now it sounds like we have to wait 10 min. Not a big deal for us, but a change AFAIK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter