DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Because you then must wait in the LL line which is typically 15 minutes or more. So the total wait is the same or more.
DAS users get the start “waiting in line” as soon as they scan in for their existing attraction. So while waiting in LL and riding attraction #1, they’re also “waiting in line” for attraction #2

It seems likely they will grant it for families with more than 2 minor children. But given that the default limit is 4, I highly doubt Disney is envisioning this will include grandparents unless the parents are not present.
I hope they dont rule out grandparents. We are a family of 5 my son is the das holder. My husband and my parents. Mt son would be devastated if his grandparents couldn't experience Disney with him. Surely Disney would be family friendly enough to allow 5.

I haven’t seen anyone say it’s abuse. I think it’s an incentive for people who don’t need DAS and I think it provides superior access, but as it stands now, it certainly isn’t abuse of the DAS.
It may be superior access IF one can stay in the park all day and go at the rate of a neurotypical person/family. Those are big ifs for a lot of families with disabled family members.

I do have issue with just 4 or immediate family. I have 2 adult daughters - one married and one that will bring her boyfriend for his first time ever at Disney. Would be really sad if we cannot experience rides together. I've emailed asking to keep it at 6.

Not even the same, but you do you.
Why is it different? If you have DAS and I don’t and we both get in a 4 hr FoP line via our respective means you can go do any number of things and I’ll be waiting in line or losing my place in line to do the same things you did.

Not that I’m complaining about DAS it’s just a reality of the system.

Since you quoted me, I want to clarify that I was NOT suggesting it is abuse of the system, it is how the system is currently designed. I could see arguments for changing it, but was pointing out it would be hard to make rules for the reason noted.
Thank you for clarifying and I'd like to clarify as well my post wasn't solely a response to you, but more in general. I actually have seen it referred to as an abuse of the system a lot today, and I appreciate you clarifying that it isn't what you were suggesting. ✌️

I hope they dont rule out grandparents. We are a family of 5 my son is the das holder. My husband and my parents. Mt son would be devastated if his grandparents couldn't experience Disney with him. Surely Disney would be family friendly enough to allow 5.
They aren't showing a whole lot of compassion and understanding with this latest update, so I wouldn't count on it. Obviously no one will know until people actually try it, but from what I read it seems that they are planning to make exceptions for minor children.

Honestly, I don't think asking people to electronically submit private, medical-related information to a third party is the solution.
A solution, sure. But quite frankly, it's a solution that is not working for many disabled people for a variety of reasons and I don't want to see it thrown on every situation as a band-aid.
Medical files are all electronic now...nothing new. I have nothing to hide, I'd love it if they just required documentation

Medical files are all electronic now...nothing new. I have nothing to hide, I'd love it if they just required documentation

Exactly. I don't know what they didn't go this route. It would have done much more to address the abuse than the route they have taken. Now any schmuck can just claim their child is autistic without any proof. Solves nothing and will not decrease DAS users.

We used DAS for the first time last year for Autism and ADHD and were told even back then that people asking for DAS accommodation for mobility reasons were largely being denied because someone on a scooter or in a wheelchair can use them in line, and someone who has IBS or something like it can exit the line and be allowed back. This may be official now but this interpretation has been circulating for awhile.

I hope that people continue to be able to get the assistance they need.

Same. I'm over caring if they know the details - it's far more frustrating for me to have to repeatedly 'prove' that I have a very real medical condition that I've dealt with since birth. I've never had an issue qualifying for DAS in the past - if it turns out that I do, we just won't be able to visit the parks. Beyond sad as it would not only impact me, but my DD - but the alternative is not an option for me.

I've said that all along, we dont mind providing proof, but other people don't want their health to be a public matter sometimes so I get it.

Apparently it needs to be said here too. No one who has DAS and enters another line is abusing DAS. This is from the DAS FAQ page for WDW, screenshot a few minutes ago.
View attachment 850044
People may be able to wait in a 15-20 mins line, but not a 45 min+ one. They may be able to wait in outdoor queues (where sound dissipates more easily) longer than they can wait in indoor queues). Regardless of reason, Disney explicitly allows - if not encourages, given this is their FAQ - using DAS in this manner.

This is us, exactly. Our son can't do the long lines. So we will get a DAS return for something with 30+ minutes. Then we'll hit up things that have short waits, if there's anything. Or we sit on a bench. Or have a snack/meal.

They don’t actually wait the same amount of time. It’s the standby wait minus 15 minutes.

PLUS 15 or often MORE once in the LL queue.

Because you then must wait in the LL line which is typically 15 minutes or more. So the total wait is the same or more.

Definitely more a lot of the time. Especially when wait times listed are inflated.

Those 15 minutes are meant to accommodate for time waiting in the lightning lane, though, which more often is exceeding a 15 minute wait (and DAS users who can't wait in it for reasons that require the DAS in the first place are then having to get out of line and forfeit all that time waited in the first place)

To add, there's quite a few times DAS users wait more than standby guests. It's not uncommon to see people saying a ride said it had a 40 minute wait time, for example, but they only waited 12. DAS users can't have that experience though, they have to go by what the standby time says.

YEP. We have had to cancel some DAS returns because the LL was actually too long for our son to handle. So some of the E ticket rides have to be skipped completely.

It may be superior access IF one can stay in the park all day and go at the rate of a neurotypical person/family. Those are big ifs for a lot of families with disabled family members.

I wish we could stay all day like many NT families. That will just never be for us. On our recent trip to WDW, we managed to be in the parks for a few hours in the morning and then a few in the evening with a long break in the quiet hotel in the middle. It's a necessity for our son. So having DAS does allow us to actually get a few rides in during each chunk of park time.

I just emailed them to ask for clarification and express how unhappy I am about these changes. My son has Crohns disease and I cannot image anyone with Crohns fighting their way backwards through a line to find a cast member to get a pass and then to get to the bathroom. I encourage everyone to email them as well. That's the only way we will see change: disability.services@disneyparks.com
This is my thought too. I hope they increase janitorial cast members cause I can promise I won’t make it!

I've said that all along, we dont mind providing proof, but other people don't want their health to be a public matter sometimes so I get it.
We did IBCCES for universal in January. Ot required a multi day back and forth with DD's medical provider to get the documentation. The people reviewing it at IBCCES have no qualifications, and DD's dx is so rare there's no point to including it on documentation as medical people have no clue about it more often than not, much less random employees of a company like ibcces (which is not a medical provider).

How does this affect type 1 diabetics? My husband has it and we went to Disney before and it was a rough experience in the queues. His blood sugar suddenly plummeted multiple times and didn’t have enough food on us so had to leave the queue to fix his sugars. He was very dangerously low on 2 occasions and I had to frantically search for a food cart outside of the ride both times. We didn’t realize we could use DAS to help with this issue so we are planning on using it on our trip in November. This is making me so stressed out now!

How does this affect type 1 diabetics? My husband has it and we went to Disney before and it was a rough experience in the queues. His blood sugar suddenly plummeted multiple times and didn’t have enough food on us so had to leave the queue to fix his sugars. He was very dangerously low on 2 occasions and I had to frantically search for a food cart outside of the ride both times. We didn’t realize we could use DAS to help with this issue so we are planning on using it on our trip in November. This is making me so stressed out now!
Sounds like he can bring food in the line or step out of line, address his issues, then return to the line .

Seems to me the return to queue feature is what will be the “accomodauton” for those with physical and mental disorders that prevent them from standing or being in the same place for too long. So example, if you have a broken ankle with crutches, and you start getting in pain after standing 15 minutes, the return to queue option will allow you to go rest then come back. Just spitballing here

Seems to me the return to queue feature is what will be the “accomodauton” for those with physical and mental disorders that prevent them from standing or being in the same place for too long. So example, if you have a broken ankle with crutches, and you start getting in pain after standing 15 minutes, the return to queue option will allow you to go rest then come back. Just spitballing here
Or get a mobility device. Broken ankle and crutches shouldn’t have had a DAS anyway, as it’s a mobility issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter