Darn you, Destination America Channel! Our 1st Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean (Itinerary C) Cruise

28 days until WDW! And 30 days until our cruise!

Meaning only 30 days to break this terrible Tsum Tsum habit I've formed (the iPhone game, not the toy -- though I could totally get into those, too!). :oops:

At one month to go, packing has already begun, with a lot of the "bare necessities" for our Disney trips -- autograph books and Sharpies, pins and pin lanyards*, quarters and pennies for obtaining flattened pennies -- coming out of storage and into the suitcases. Right now, I'm spending more time obsessing over the packing list than the actual packing. Should I get a multi-USB port for charging or just carry all the chargers as usual? Should I get a tray to carry food for 5 people back to the staterooms? Minutiae like that, which, for me, is part of the pleasure of Disney planning.

One important ongoing item is the pirate costumes! Our WALL-E costumes from last year had to be homemade, because there are no commercially available costumes on the market, and the handmade items available on Etsy were not what we had in mind. For pirates, though, I know the market is already basically saturated with pirate costumes, plus I don't know how to sew, so everything was going to have to be purchased or made to order.

The kids were easy, because there are bajillion kids pirate costumes available. For my son, Jack, age 6, it's this guy:

P404807.jpeg
A very handsome costume, to be sure, but let's hope it still fits, since I bought this months ago at a steeply discounted price. :rolleyes1

For my daughter, Julia, 2, I bought a couple of costumes, and the simpler one actually looked better on her:

zu1418752_main_tm1411060620.jpg

I used a safety pin to gather up and pin the left side of the dress so it looks more "pirate wench-y." But again, purchased months ago, so we're probably due for another fitting. :rolleyes1

For me, as a Chinese American, I wanted to do a Chinese-inspired costume, something along the lines of Elizabeth's costume when she becomes the captain of the Chinese ship in 'Pirates of the Caribbean' . . . 37? :P I was surprised and pleased that Googling "Chinese women pirate" pulls up one key figure, Ching Shih ("Zheng Shi" in modernized Pinyin). Originally a prostitute in Guangzhou, she married the captain of the powerful and notorious Red Flag Fleet then took over when he died. She is viewed as one of the most successful pirates in world history, being one of the few to make it to retirement.

Even *more* pleasing was the fact that a blog called "Take Halloween Back" has designed a Ching Shih costume! The website's aim is to provide inspirations for non-sexy Halloween costumes for women (that is, no Sexy Pirate, Sexy Nurse, Sexy Big Bird, etc.), and a lot of the figures they use are historical or mythological. Here is their style card:

chingshih2013_illustration.jpg

The jacket was the most expensive item, but luckily, I already have a couple of my own. :D The only thing I have left to get is a shirt to go underneath, as the jacket will be unbuttoned. I've ordered a traditional Chinese dudou (a kind of a triangle-shaped undershirt) and hoping it will work with the costume.

My husband's costume was a little trickier. He is very particular, so I couldn't get him just any ol' pirate costume. Then, one day, as I was looking at the biography he was reading at the time, inspiration hit me: NAPOLEON PIRATE. I mean, the idea of a pirate with a Napoleon hat? YEAH!!! :banana:

So, take one Napoleon costume:

31Kh6rsIiuL.jpg

[which, I assure you, is *way* cooler than this photo lets on!]

Add one Napoleon hat:

size-os.jpg

And a pirate-like shirt:

il_570xN.482226729_424z.jpg

And maybe some good pirate makeup . . . And *hopefully* we'll get something that looks like a pirate!

Last edited:
Oh, and one more thing I'm going to mention: I did not know when I went with a travel agent that one of the disadvantages would be that I'd get my park and cruise documents so much later than everyone else. :(

Really enjoying your PTR. I love the Chinese pirate idea! Our pirate costumes are colorful, so my mom's a blue pirate, and I'm a pink pirate. Yay non traditional pirates! I'm curious how the Napoleon pirate with run out. I am cautiously optimistic for you...

:welcome:

Yay for non-traditional pirates! pirate:

Oh, my husband has the giant head -- both literal and figurative -- to play Napoleon! :laughing: I think the main difficulty is taking a military-type costume and dressing it down enough to make it pirate-y. In my head, the backstory is he was a naval officer in Napoleon's fleet but decided to become a privateer when he found it was a more lucrative line of work. :D I'm sure my husband would have had fun as just a regular pirate, but he loves Napoleon (see prior post where I mentioned he loves Gaston! o_O) and when I hit on the idea I ran with it.

The thing is, the Napoleon hat is quite large, and I just found out that, if I were to ship our costumes to the ship, there are no options to ship it back home. So he might have to wear that thing on the airplane! :rotfl2:

18 days until WDW! And 20 days until our cruise!

I'm going to take a page from fellow DIS-er Amunet's book and track my progress via "To Do" list. I find it so helpful in organizing one's thoughts.

:rolleyes1 Schedule transport to/from MDW
:rolleyes1 Prepay tips
:rolleyes1 Request dining rotation? (don't want to miss the Animator's Palate show on Remy night)
:rolleyes1 Obtain passport for Julia (should arrive after 08/03/2015)
:rolleyes1 Find Austin's passport!
:rolleyes1 Confirm private transport will have car seats from WDW to PC/from PC to MCO
:rolleyes1 PACK!!! (Operation "Dump Stuff on Top of the Suitcase But Don't Actually Put Anything in It" already in progress)

:earsboy: Book staterooms
:earsboy: Make WDW reservations
:earsboy: Pay WDW in full
:earsboy: Pay cruise in full
:earsboy: Book flights
:earsboy: Schedule transport from WDW to PC/from PC to MCO
:earsboy: Make WDW ADRs at 90 days out
:earsboy: Schedule port excursions at 75 days out
:earsboy: Make Magic Kingdom touring plan
:earsboy: Schedule Magic Kingdom FP+'s at 60 days out
:earsboy: Schedule character call

To Do on the Ship
pirate: Make Palo brunch reservations
pirate: Obtain meet & greet tickets
pirate: Purchase a Rainforest Pass
pirate: Order Internet service
pirate: Go to Shutters to add Jack to stateroom list

Last edited:

*10* days until WDW! And 12 days until our cruise!

An update on how we're doing:

:rolleyes1 Schedule transport to/from MDW
:rolleyes1 Prepay tips
:rolleyes1 Request dining rotation? (don't want to miss the Animator's Palate show on Remy night)
:rolleyes1 Confirm private transport will have car seats from WDW to PC/from PC to MCO
:rolleyes1 Prepare electronics for cruise
:rolleyes1 PACK!!! (still in progress -- got my first set of eBags packing cubes and am LOVING THEM! :love:)

:earsboy: Obtain passport for Julia (should arrive after 08/03/2015)
:earsboy: Find Austin's passport!
:earsboy: Complete online check-in for WDW
:earsboy: Make DCL drink carrier

To Do on the Ship
pirate: Obtain meet & greet and character breakfast tickets
pirate: Sign Austin up for Castaway Cay 5K

Last edited:
*3* days until WDW! And 5 days until our cruise!

Yikes, NOW I am getting nervous. I still haven't finalized my husband's pirate costume, and I've got to get on him for his formal/semi-formal clothing.

:rolleyes1 Place BOG pre-orders
:rolleyes1 Get haircut for kids
:rolleyes1 Prepare electronics for cruise
:rolleyes1 Prepare strollers
:rolleyes1 Fix stroller with squeaky wheel
:rolleyes1 Prepare pets
:rolleyes1 Prepare plants
:rolleyes1 PACK!!! (the packing list is dwindling but the suitcases are getting huge -- it may be time to start jettisoning extra cargo!)
:rolleyes1 Send DCL contact info to loved ones

:earsboy: Prepay tips
:earsboy: Obtain passport for Julia (should arrive after 08/03/2015)
:earsboy: Find Austin's passport!
:earsboy: Schedule transport to/from MDW
:earsboy: Complete online check-in for WDW
:earsboy: Request dining rotation (don't want to miss the Animator's Palate show on Remy night)
:earsboy: Make DCL drink carrier

To Do on the Ship
pirate: Obtain meet & greet and character breakfast tickets
pirate: Sign Austin up for Castaway Cay 5K

According to AccuWeather.com, about two hours of thunderstorms are expected the afternoon we arrive at WDW. A rain shower in the middle of the afternoon in Orlando is not unexpected, but this will probably mean that our record of NEVER, EVER getting to swim in our hotel pool will continue!

We don't schedule in rest days, so virtually the only time we can go to the pool is the day we arrive. The first time we went to WDW as a family, a deluge hit Wilderness Lodge just as we finished getting into our swimming suits in the lobby bathrooms. You couldn't see out those big windows, and the storm didn't let up all night. Last year, at POR, we had learned our lesson -- no exploring, just straight to the pool! -- so we ran to our rooms, got everyone's suits on, slapped on some sunscreen, and the moment we reached the pool, it rained. No, it wasn't raining when we left our room. But as soon as we hit the pool deck, RAIN.

So my prediction is, those Thursday thunderstorms are going to last longer than two hours . . . and we're going to miss swimming in the Big Blue Pool at AoA. :umbrella:

P.S. Just as I was about to post this, the skies here in Chicago opened up. How portentous!

Hope you escaped the rain for the hotel pool! Too bad weather can't be planned.

I can't wait to hear more about your trip. We are sailing Western C on 9/5 in 2 weeks and looking forward to it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter