Danube River Cruise Meets Thread

My twelve year old is very responsible. I think they would be fine. It's just the notion of them alone in a hotel room that leaves me a bit leery. It's silly really because my daughter travels with her swim team and they are alone in a hotel room and she heads off to camp. Thanks for getting back to me.

We are booked but haven't put the deposit down on two cabins for my family of five. The price is sky high and we won't be in connecting cabins, just next door to one another. Do you think my kids, 6, 6 and 12 will be okay in a room on their own at night? Not sure about that but all the connecting rooms were gone. Is ABD really worth the price tag? We are first timers. I have always wanted to do a river cruise, but they are generally not suitable for children. We've done the mass market European cruises and seen most of the world. A river cruise is one of the only things we'd really like to do.

I'd also consider the 6 year olds and your experience with them on your travels so far. Do you find you still like to take breaks in the middle of the day or are they pretty good traveling morning and afternoon on most days? I've taken my now 10 yo on a few ABD's and he loves them. However, my 5 yo I would say is not quite ready for ABD. He does fine on DCL European cruises, but there's more opportunity for rest time. You can tour around in the morning and rest/swim in the afternoon - that sort of thing. ABD in general is a bit more intense than that.

But yes, ABD is very much worth the price tag.

We are booked but haven't put the deposit down on two cabins for my family of five. The price is sky high and we won't be in connecting cabins, just next door to one another. Do you think my kids, 6, 6 and 12 will be okay in a room on their own at night? Not sure about that but all the connecting rooms were gone. Is ABD really worth the price tag? We are first timers. I have always wanted to do a river cruise, but they are generally not suitable for children. We've done the mass market European cruises and seen most of the world. A river cruise is one of the only things we'd really like to do.

Yes, ABD is definitely worth the price tag. We didn't "get that" until we did our first one. Now, we don't hesitate. If it's ABD then I know I will get not just the quality but other experiences that I would never be able to re-create on my own. We are booked, this is our first river cruise and we do not have children. There is no adult only option and we are still fine with that despite the fact that most river cruises are geared for adults. It's ABD so I know it will be worth it!

So, out of curiosity, I called ABD, and there are only 8 cabins out of 79 still available for the July 21st sailing! I'd say that's doing well!

Sayhello

You would know if your kids will be all right at night. If you are concerned about safety, then ABD will take care of that for you. They are carrying the big Disney name and will not take safety lightly. We did a river cruise last year with a different company and we thought it is something Disney can definitely do. Just a matter of getting a river boat to do it. The way it works (don't know how Disney will do it though), you drop off your room key at the desk before embarkation (which is a daily thing) and you are given a pass which you need to give back to get your key. No pass, no key. At night, the boat is sailing so no worries there. Just my .02.

So, out of curiosity, I called ABD, and there are only 8 cabins out of 79 still available for the July 21st sailing! I'd say that's doing well!

Sayhello

Impressive! There's a group of people at ABD/DCL that are high fiving themselves - and rightfully so.

21 out of 79. But that's after only 1 1/2 days on sale. :)

Sayhello
Wow, you are a font of info--thanks! That is impressive after only a couple days. Wonder what they need overall bookings to be to consider it enough of a success to continue or expand?

Wow, you are a font of info--thanks! That is impressive after only a couple days. Wonder what they need overall bookings to be to consider it enough of a success to continue or expand?
:D One of the other cruises (she didn't say which) was actually sold out until people moved their reservations to the DVC cruise yesterday. But it sounded like it's still close. So I think it's pretty certain they're doing well. :)

Sayhello

:D One of the other cruises (she didn't say which) was actually sold out until people moved their reservations to the DVC cruise yesterday. But it sounded like it's still close. So I think it's pretty certain they're doing well. :)

Sayhello

I think that was the July 14th cruise that we booked on opening day. I believe Californiagirl did too. I know when I last spoke with ABD it was close to sold out and a number of people were planning on moving their booking to the DVC one when it opened up which is exactly what we did :-)

My Happy Hottie DW and I are sailing on the DVC Members cruise on July whatever-the-date-is (7th?) (DW Made the reservations (after 85 minutes+ on the phone w/DVC/ABD) and just told me to show up) :-) . Contemplating a couple of days "pre trip" stop in Paris to get the DLP "Check in the box"............

My Happy Hottie DW and I are sailing on the DVC Members cruise on July whatever-the-date-is (7th?) (DW Made the reservations (after 85 minutes+ on the phone w/DVC/ABD) and just told me to show up) :-) . Contemplating a couple of days "pre trip" stop in Paris to get the DLP "Check in the box"............
I've added you to the Roll Call.

DLP is definitely worth doing at least once to check it off your list. :) You can pretty much see it all in 2 days, depending on how busy it is.

Sayhello

Hi - I booked on the December cruise for myself and my DD who is currently 19 but will be 21 when we actually cruise (hard to believe). We're in category C. I've always wanted to do a river cruise so am very excited though it is so far away it seems somewhat unreal!

Hi - I booked on the December cruise for myself and my DD who is currently 19 but will be 21 when we actually cruise (hard to believe). We're in category C. I've always wanted to do a river cruise so am very excited though it is so far away it seems somewhat unreal!
Congrats! I've added you to the Roll Call on the first post of this thread. I've never booked a vacation this far out, either. The hardest part is the waiting. I want to go now! :)

Sayhello

Dh and I as well as another couple (separate rooms) will be on the DVC exclusive. We went on ABD China last May and are super excited to show our best friends how great ABD is! ABD takes such good care of you and it really is the best way to travel abroad.

Dh and I as well as another couple (separate rooms) will be on the DVC exclusive. We went on ABD China last May and are super excited to show our best friends how great ABD is! ABD takes such good care of you and it really is the best way to travel abroad.
I've added you to the Roll Call! I'm sure your friends will get hooked, too. ABD really *does* take amazing care of you.

Sayhello

I booked us yesterday on the DVC cruise. It will be me, DH, DD(16) and DD(12- turning 13 a week after the cruise). I am so excited to be able to go on a river cruise with the girls- I've always wanted to go on one, but figured they would not enjoy it (picky eaters!!!!).

We booked the last 2 out of 3 Cat. C cabins for that cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter