Daily average time your kid(s) in club/lab/tween/teen club

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Happy100, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Happy100

Happy100 DIS Veteran

Just for fun :cool1: How long on average is your kid(s) in clubs/labs/tween/teen space? Please also note age of child. :thumbsup2

My 8 yr old son is in the club or lab an average of 4 hours a day.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tweis

tweis DIS Veteran

I have 2 sons one was 9 and the other 10 when we cruised last year. They averaged maybe an hour a day. My ten year old wouldn't have stayed that long had we not encouraged him. I'm really hoping they will enjoy them more on the Fantasy next year when they will be 11 and 12.

4. jenpink

jenpink Mouseketeer

My 10 year old stayed about 4 hours per day. When she was 5 she wouldn't stay at all, when she was 7 she stayed about 1 hour/day.

5. DisneyBride1214

DisneyBride1214 Registered

Has anyone brought a 1 year old to the baby play room? How long do you usually leave them there? I am a newbie and a little confused on some of this.

Thanks in advance!

6. Princess_Kayla

Princess_Kayla Pre Published Author

My brothers spent quite some time in the kids club they never wanted to leave! As for the vibe I was there at night more than during the day. so like 2 hours for me.

7. lanejudy

lanejudy Moderator Moderator

The nursery is not drop-in care like the other kids clubs. You'll need to reserve time for your little one, and there is a limit to how many hours you can reserve in advance but you may be able to add more once you are onboard.

OP - our DD averaged about 2 hrs per day in the Club when she was 7 yrs old.

8. SnowWhite2

SnowWhite2 DIS Veteran

From the time my kids were 7 and 9 on our first cruise, they spent from 9 am until closing in the clubs except for the 3 nights we insisted they have dinner with us. And then we saw them for about an hour.

As teens in the Vibe, they spent from wake up until 2 am until they came back.

9. MissDaisyofTexas

MissDaisyofTexas DIS Veteran

On both of our prior cruises, our boys spent 2-4 hours a day in the clubs. They were ages 4 and 8 (and 9 months later at 5 and 8).

10. jjje

jjje One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to d

My 12 year old spent 2 hours a day in the Edge, sometimes a bit more and sometimes a bit less. He probably would have spent more time there if there had been a nicer group of kids on board. My 7 year old spent as much time as possible in the Lab and Club. A few of our sea days we literally only saw her when we pulled her out for meal and show times. She spent a total of about 12 hours there one day. She was a big fan of the club scene.

11. jahber

jahber DIS Veteran

My kids are 9 and 6 and they are basically the same. They would spend all day in the clubs except to swim. If they could sleep in the clubs, they would. Actually, a slumber party sounds like fun... For the kids, that is. Not so much for the CMs, I guess ;)

12. disneyfaninaz

disneyfaninaz It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Nada, Zippo, absolutely none! My DD never jazzed to any of the clubs and only spent time in them on our first 2 cruises because Mommy and Daddy had Palo reservations.

13. ksloane

ksloane DIS Veteran

Cruised with daughter when she was 9 and again at 11. Both times she spent all the time I'd allow her in the club. Well at 9, she was in the club from time she woke up until dinner (I make her come out for dinner and show) except on port days and she was in them on port days if we weren't off the ship.

Last year at 11, she wasn't always in the club itself after the first couple days as she made friends and they would go on deck and play basketball or watch movies, etc, but she was still either in the club or with the friends she made in the club all day except for when I required her to come out - dinner, shows, excursions. :-)

14. beaglefan

beaglefan TX Cruiser

Boys, 3 & 4 and averaged only about 1 hour per day. The max then enjoyed it was 2 hours, and some days the programming wasn't overly exciting and they didn't express an interest in going.

I hope as they get older they enjoy it a little more, and may spend some time in the Lab as well.

15. JAMWDW

JAMWDW Mouseketeer

Our 12 year old son would have slept in Edge if he could! He probably averaged 5-10 hours with the Edge group including Edge activities at CC. His favorite thing was midnight dodgeball! He can't wait to get back on a Disney cruise. :-)

16. JnDRader

JnDRader Mouseketeer

On port days my 8yo son probably spent 3-4 hours there. On sea days, 12-16 :rotfl:? He'd only come out if we pulled him out. He even prefers being there for pirate night. Basically he'll go in after breakfast, might come out for lunch, will come out for dinner, and then back in after the show for a bit before bed.

My now 11yo daughter has grudgingly spent maybe 30 min's a day there. We'll see how things go this time as she's old enough for the Edge and on this next cruise she isn't travelling with a friend.

17. huffjoann

huffjoann DIS Veteran

I don't know that our experience is usual since my 8 yr old DD isn't that fond of kids club.
    on first day she stayed 3 hrs while we went to Palo, on sea day she went about 2 hrs so went to mixology. she loves to be with us so I didn't send her unless we were doing an adults only thing

18. GreatDaneMom

GreatDaneMom DIS Veteran

DD is 18 and has sailed DCL 7 times since she was 10.

She spent 1 hour in the club at 10 to make flubber and 1 hour in the club at 16 to try the teen thing. That's it, she doesn't like the clubs! For her DCL means hanging with the family. :hug:

19. missyp

missyp Mouseketeer

DS- 10 spent about 4-5 hours a day in the Edge- LOVED IT
    DS- 13 spent about 3 hours a day in the Vibe
    We basically didn't see them after dinner til bed time. The younger one would visit the Edge during the day if there was an activity he was interested in. The older one only went to the Vibe at night.

20. Lisa Lisa

Lisa Lisa DIS Veteran

We were on the Dream in 2012 when DD was 8, and she refused to set foot in the Club/Lab after we took her to the open house on embarkation day.

We were on the Fantasy this March, when DD was 9, and this time we made a point to have her meet up with the DD of another DISer. That did the trick as she was willing to give the Lab a try for a scheduled Super Sloppy Science activity because her new friend was going. That was on day 3, I think. After that, she went to maybe one more scheduled activity during the day, and she went for about 2 hours each evening after dinner.

A couple of recommendations for those whose kids are reluctant to try the clubs:

1. Join your cruise meet group and try to find at least one child who is your child's age. If possible, have them correspond before the cruise. If that's not possible, set up a time to have them meet onboard.

2. Have them look at the Navigators and highlight scheduled activities that are of interest to them and encourage them to try one. We told our DD that she could have a CM call us as soon as the activity was over if she wanted (and she did, that first time). She especially loved the Super Sloppy Science series. Once she tried one, she was excited to try others.

21. braysmommy

braysmommy DIS Veteran

On our B2B this past May my DS6 didn't spend anytime in clubs on our 4 night Bahama cruise. We were off the ship each day and he stayed with us at dinner. Our the 14 night Panama Canal portion he loved the clubs!
    He would spend 1-3 hours a day on our sea days and he was beyond excited when he learned the Lab had plant vs zombies on computers. He never had CM's text me to pick him up and i am pretty sure he would have been happy on a computer for hours and hours. He also did the sleepover in the club and I was very surprised he stayed the entire night since he has only spent the night at a friends house once.