Daft question....no really!!!

mkingdon

Obsessed...and admits it!!
This may be hard to answer, and I guess you get this all the time, but I'm wondering whether it is worth my while to go DVC, as I am totally obsessed and plan to visit every year/other year if possible.

I think I get the idea of DVC and the perks, but can I be cheeky and ask roughly how much it would cost to buy say 14 nights at BCV/OKW or equivalent?

Then I can do some maths!!!:p

Many Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig,

Sorry to answer one (good) question with another two, but what times of year do you anticipate going to WDW, and how many people would typically be travelling ?

The reason being that the number of DVC points required for a trip varies according to the time of year, as well as the size of the accommodation - studio, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, or grand villa.

If you can give us a little more info i'm sure we'll be able to figure something out :D

Paul

Sorry - should have thought about that

Normally last 2 weeks in august and 2 adults and 2 kids (6 & 8)

Cheers

No problem. Mid-august is actually when things begin to get a little cheaper point-wise, and from the start of September you are into the cheapest season for the whole year.

Based on the point charts for 2004, a stay in a 1-bedroom villa at BCV from 21 August through to 3 September would need 481 points. A studio for the same period would drop this to 237 points. Just as a comparison, the same dates at OKW would need 376 points for a 1-bed and 188 for a studio.

The points tend to be a lot higher for Friday and Saturday night stays - so you may want to think about a 12-night rather than 14-night vacation, or perhaps even paying cash for those nights at another location if you can find a good deal. We've stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for a couple of nights at the end of a BWV stay, for example.

If you have MS Excel I can email you a nifty little spreadsheet that allows you to play around with different options and calculate the points. PM me if you'd like a copy, and feel free to ask any other questions.

Paul

Hi Craig,
Just to underline what Paul was saying. If you look at the cost of a 14 night stay at OKW using a studio at 188 points or a one bedroom at 376 points, that "cost" drops to 140 points for a studio and 280 for a one bedroom if you can avoid one of the weekends. With banking and borrowing ( you can roll over unused points or borrow from the next year ) if you miss a year out every 4 or 5 I think you should be able to work with about 200-230 points. I think it likely that you'll generall find you like the 1 bedroom units but can make do with a studio if pushed on points, but some of that depends on, as they get older, if the kids mind sharing a bed. If you're flexible and imaginative in your plans then you can get a lot of use out of DVC points. If for example you would usually fly on a Saturday, arriving late Saturday night, by checking into a hotel near the airport ( afterall there aren't many of us that do much more than grab a snack and go to bed on the first day) you can save 24 points for a studio or 48 for a one bedroom. Finishing your holiday with a couple of nights staying at one of Universal's hotels ( or along I-Drive for a cheaper stay) visiting the USF parks or SW would save another 32 points for a studio and 64 for a one bedroom. Obviously if your departure days are different you can start at USF and finish on WDW. I wouldn't buy the exact amount of points you think you'd need as, IMHO that tends to lead to you taking the "easy option" which isn't usually the best economical use of the points. By having slightly less than you'd really need tends to sharpen the mind a little for the task of getting the most out of things.

I don't usually use DVC for all my vacation needs on a holiday but as a highlight to a trip. 5 days in a one bedroom is a wonderful way to round off a great holiday :D. It's also a nice option to using Vero Beach as a break away from the parks as this is a beautiful beach resort just a couple of hours drive away. I know many people prefer to stay in justone hotel for their whole trip, but if you don't mind changing accomodation you can get some fantastic accomodation at a very reasonable cost using DVC.

Just to clarify the room types at DVC a studio is basically what you would call a standard hotel room, a one bedroom unit has a huge bedroom with ensuite jacuzzi, a separate walk in shower/toilet, a washer dryer room and an open plan living room/dining room/full kitchen. A two bedroom is a one bedroom with a studio attached and the 3 bedroom grand villa just has to be seen to be appreciated. If you've not done the tour that is really worth a few hours of your next vacation, as a short term answer I would suggest calling DVC sales and asking for them to send a promo video (specify you need one that is formatted to UK specs as they don't always realise that's what you need, even though they are mailing it to the UK :rolleyes: LOL )

Vernon,

Great advice that really makes sense.

Staying the odd night or two in a "cheap" hotel makes a lot of difference.

I'm very tempted to do the "tour" when we are there this August. My wife fell in love with the VWL last time we went (we didn't do the tour, we just had a nosey).

I loved them too, but although I've not seem them the BCV also really appeal. Due in no small part to the proximety to Beaches & Cream!!

I also have a friend who has been a long time OKW "resident" and he really likes that. I guess OKW has sold all it's points now though????

Round figures it looks like around £10k would do the trick...now then how much would my 2 DDs fetch on the open market ;)

Thanks for the info. Definite food for thought.

Cheers

Craig

Hi Vernon,

I was wondering what time of the year you've visited Vero in the past ? We're thinking about spending a few days there next year and considering either early May or mid-late October - any experience of those periods for weather or crowds ?

Thanks,
Paul

I've been at both times and had great weather at either. For choice I'd probably pick May. It's usually less humid and Mid Oct you do still have a slight chance of the odd tropical storm/Hurricane wandering through. It isn't enough chance that would stop me booking mid Oct, just IMHO May is marginally the better choice. Probably slightly more crowded in May, but it's not like you're queueing for rides. It may take the kids a little longer waitingfor their turn on the slide to come round. In May I'd try to go as early as possible in the vacation, in Oct as late as possible as it will be just a smidge cooler that way. US holidays to avoid are May 31 2004 and Oct 11 2004. Other than that you'll have a great breeak at either time of year.

Thanks Vernon, that's just what I was hoping to hear. One good option for October might just be to spend the first part of the trip at BWV whilst the food and wine festival is in full swing, and then to chill out for a few days at Vero before flying home.

It looks like both mum and mum-in-law will be coming with us on the trip, and both of them seem very taken with the idea of staying so close to the ocean. It does look to be a beautiful resort, and so convenient for combining a week or so at the parks.

Paul

mkingdon - only the BCVs (and Vero Beach) are available through Disney at the moment and the BCVs will probably be sold out soon. But if you're really interested in the others you could also have a look for a resale - there are lots around. It's a little bit more of a hassle than buying direct from Disney, but if you can find the place you want to stay it could save you quite a bit of money.

Don't know if you've seen many pictures of the rooms of the DVC resorts - if not, try this website for some really good photos.

http://www.***********.com/id247.htm

Just to reiterate what Bexx said, we did the tour last week and they're expecting BCV to have sold out by July, Hilton Head Island is sold out and Vero Beach is going fast.
I'm not sure when exactly but they'll be pre- selling Saratoga Springs soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter