D7000 throwing oil on the imager.

I just noticed something. The routing label on the left is UNDER the shipping label. How would that be possible unless the shipping label was moved?

This happened at work once. We got an item that was damaged in transit. UPS then took the item's shipping label off the item, placed that item into a larger box and taped that label over onto the new box.

Right, that would indicate that the label was tampered with. Nikon and UPS told me the shipping label appears to be original and tamper free.

I pointed out all of the tampering evidence to a New York Nikon rep and it was agreed that the label was moved. I just got an email stating that they are sending me a brand new camera.

:dance3::dance3::dance3:

I can't believe it took even that long.

I sure hope this one doesn't have the same problem!

That is a picture of the envelope they got, not my box. I see cardboard remnants in the upper right and on the left side under Melville. I also see crinkled tape all over it. Nikon says it looks tamper free.

The experts say that the best way to get a problem like this the attention and resolution it deserves is to send written correspondence documenting the problem BY SNAIL MAIL (not Email) to the top people in the company.

Start writing letters. Include a summary of the problem, all evidence and documentation of who (by name) you talked to, when and what was said. It's really important to document each conversation with the above info.

Send copies of your correspondence to the top people in each company. Include a distribution list at the bottom of your letter that shows you are also communicating with the Consumer Fraud agencies in your state.

Each time you have a new conversation include that information in another letter and shoot that off to all parties.

It's clear that you are dealing with low level yahoos whose purpose is to act as a screen to deterring people from holding them accountable.

If you are persistent, and don't come off as angry or annoyed in your correspondence, (Experts say that this is KEY!) you have a chance.

Even though you are perfectly reasonable if you are completely outraged, the truth is that companies shut down when encountering these types of people. Customers are much more successful getting complaints resolved if they approach it from "I'm having a problem and I need your help" perspective.

You have a good case. Present it to the right people, in the right way and you stand a good chance of getting it resolved.

Good luck and I'm so sorry to hear of your aggravation. No one deserves this. It really sucks that you have to jump through all these hoops to rectify something that you are not responsible for. I guess that's just life catching up with us from time to time.

:hug:

~ Marlton Mom

Ha! I just read about your resolution after typing my post.

I am so happy for you! :yay:

Congrats and let us know how you are making out with the new Nikon. Hopefully it will be a new one and not a refurbished model.

~ Marlton Mom

I just got an 'Invoice' and it is a brand new unit in the box with all accessories for $0.00. It will probably ship today. This is a good ending to a 3 week period of stress. Now I have to book a trip to WDW, a "new" camera always = a new trip!

So Im curious. If you had trouble with a camera again, is there a different way you could handle it to better deal with this sort of outcome? Or do you just have to cross your fingers and hope the camera company would eventually come through again?

I just got an 'Invoice' and it is a brand new unit in the box with all accessories for $0.00. It will probably ship today. This is a good ending to a 3 week period of stress. Now I have to book a trip to WDW, a "new" camera always = a new trip!

Great news!!!!

Glad your story is having a happy ending. I hope this one doesn't throw oil on the sensor.

That's great to hear! :woohoo:

So Im curious. If you had trouble with a camera again, is there a different way you could handle it to better deal with this sort of outcome? Or do you just have to cross your fingers and hope the camera company would eventually come through again?

I would take pictures of the box and contents at the drop off location.

I am excited you got your issue resolved. If there is any solace in what happened you at least know that whoever stole the camera now has one that is still throwing oil on the sensor!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is any solace in what happened you at least know that whoever stole the camera now has one that is still throwing oil on the sensor!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup. Karma, Baby. :) ("Why are there spots in all your pictures?" :rotfl2: )

Yup. Karma, Baby. :) ("Why are there spots in all your pictures?" :rotfl2: )

Better yet...... maybe they will send the camera into Nikon for repair!

Seriously stupid criminal. A camera on its way IN to Nikon is likely going there for repair, and then how do you get it repaired yourself once it's been stolen?

I guess I feels sorry for whoever buys this from that person on ebay! Maybe THEY will send it into Nikon and get accused of stealing it.

I'm really glad the OP is receiving a new camera.

However, I continue to read threads from other d7000 owners regarding oil on the sensor. I have not read any official response from Nikon acknowledging this problem. Myself and a buddy purchased D7000s in March 2011 from the same vendor a couple of days apart. Well, a few weeks ago he started having the well documented oil on the sensor issue. To be honest, I have not seen that issue with my camera. Nikon's refusal to officially acknowledge the problem (that I know of) lead me to believe that maybe now is the time to jump to a full frame body.

My new camera should be arriving today. Thanks for all of the support. :)

I agree that Nikon is not really saying much about the oil issue. This time around I am just going to keep cleaning it.

My new camera should be arriving today. Thanks for all of the support. :)

I agree that Nikon is not really saying much about the oil issue. This time around I am just going to keep cleaning it.

Good luck...let us know how this camera performs. :thumbsup2

Yes, please let us know when it arrives and how it functions. I've never sent a camera back (Canon) but lived in dread of doing so but not because of shipping issues until your story! Thanks for sharing with us!

I got it today, they sent me a brand new body-only retail box with all of the accessories. Mine was also originally a body-only box. I haven't tried it yet but I am impressed with how this was resolved.

Awesome! And you still have the battery from the original D7k, right? I assume that you just sent the body only?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter