• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

D23 Convention 2013 News and Rumor Catch-all - LIVE ACTION ROUND-UP POST 51

Sorry- You are right. I went and checked this one out. All I have to say is yuck! I find it a horribly bad decision!!! Not family appropriate and while the movie did well, It was a single movie with not near the following of Star Wars or Indiana Jones. This screams $500 million flop to me. Apparently they decided they needed to cater to a very finite adult fandom. I feel like Disney is making some poor decisions all at once.
Sorry this was just the nail in the coffin to the fact that I am supposed to go to WDW in Feb 2014 and at the moment with all of Disneys "changes" so far I can look forward to EPCOT Innovations being closed,Camp Minnie Mickey being closed and no jammin jungle parade at AK, Fantasy Land still being worked on, Tommorrowland being worked on, No Main Street Bakery,and no afternoon parade at MK, and Hollywood Studios having no Beauty and the Beast, no American Idol, No High School Musical, No Pixar Parade. Sorry but I am just not feeling the magic at the moment. Feels like Disney World is being ripped apart at an alarming rate.

I'm sorry that you feel this way. However, I hope that you are happy with your decision to join the DisBoards to assist in your planning that way that we all have been doing for years.
Another thing to know is that all of these projects will be done in phases, so don't worry. There will be plenty. Also, usually Disney compensates during times like these. There may be more character encounters than usual, more streetmosphere experiences than usual, special discounts, etc, etc. Disney will never let people walk away from WDW being disappointed.

You said it way better than I ever could have. Now Tolkien....I would be so excited. Could you just imagine?! That would be awesome...a little too fantasy for AK but it could be awesome somewhere if done right! You can tell where my fandom lies ;)

If Tolkein's properties go anywhere, they're going to Universal...it's still being discussed

I'm sorry that you feel this way. However, I hope that you are happy with your decision to join the DisBoards to assist in your planning that way that we all have been doing for years.
Another thing to know is that all of these projects will be done in phases, so don't worry. There will be plenty. Also, usually Disney compensates during times like these. There may be more character encounters than usual, more streetmosphere experiences than usual, special discounts, etc, etc. Disney will never let people walk away from WDW being disappointed.

I am appreciative of DisBoards! There will be a lot closed during my trip but I have come to the conclusion that sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good. I am glad for the renovations in most cases, in those that I am not, I am trying to be happy for those who are happy. Avatar is obviously a project some find very exciting. I do hope that at the AK they figure out how to get the characters out in other parts of the park since they are closing camp Minnie Mickey. As far as all the parks I hope they figure out a way to make their technology work with the new RIFD so they can bring parades back. Sorry, frustration sometimes has me seeing the flaws in things instead of recognizing the good things that exist. I think if we're honest everyone has those moments. I love Disney and hope that it always maintains it's magical integrity.:thumbsup2

Okay, so obviously, proven by my post count, I'm new to DisBoards, so I'm not entirely up to date on everything. But I'm really not understanding why Avatar would be coming to the parks. :confused3

That, my friend, is an EXCELLENT question. ;)

I am appreciative of DisBoards! There will be a lot closed during my trip but I have come to the conclusion that sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good. I am glad for the renovations in most cases, in those that I am not, I am trying to be happy for those who are happy. Avatar is obviously a project some find very exciting. I do hope that at the AK they figure out how to get the characters out in other parts of the park since they are closing camp Minnie Mickey. As far as all the parks I hope they figure out a way to make their technology work with the new RIFD so they can bring parades back. Sorry, frustration sometimes has me seeing the flaws in things instead of recognizing the good things that exist. I think if we're honest everyone has those moments. I love Disney and hope that it always maintains it's magical integrity.:thumbsup2

Since you are new I'll let you know things aren't as bleak as you make them out to be.

First off, yes camp Minnie Mickey is closing, but they have already moved the character meets - they are open elsewhere in the park. The only other thing in Camp Minnie Mickey is the Festival of the Lion King, which is moving sometime in 2014. We don't know when, and we don't if or when it will be closed for a period during the move - so don't panic just yet.

The news of the Animal Kingdom parade being shut down is also just a rumor, there is nothing official about it, and personally I don't believe it. Yes, the DHS parade is gone, but that one pretty much sucked.

I don't know when you are going, but there is probably not as much closed down as you think.

Searching for stuff - For those that still don't believe Avartland is happening, or that it can't be awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PTpxobOd8M

For those that are really hoping that the Imagination Pavillion gets a rework and the Figment and Dreamfinder are still involved - I think Imagineering is giving us a strong hint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V209kygO794
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooCAV1AljNM

Parks and resorts tour, including Disney springs model and lots of other cool stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MftYkk29jgY

Disney will never let people walk away from WDW being disappointed.

Well that would be like the biggest overstatement in like....well....ever. Perhaps you haven't familiarized yourself with MM+, featuring everyone's favorite friend, FP+. ;)

My first post...but something caught my eye with the other d23 posts: the imagineering booth is called JOURNEY INTO Imagineering. Awful similar to a certain pavilion in Epcot that is rumored to being closed after the first of the year for a major redo. Maybe this is a hint about what maybe coming to Epcot.

THere's also one display there that has Figment in it. Hard to believe they plan on getting rid of figment in that case, huh?

Searching for stuff - For those that still don't believe Avartland is happening, or that it can't be awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PTpxobOd8M

For those that are really hoping that the Imagination Pavillion gets a rework and the Figment and Dreamfinder are still involved - I think Imagineering is giving us a strong hint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V209kygO794
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooCAV1AljNM

Parks and resorts tour, including Disney springs model and lots of other cool stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MftYkk29jgY

Omg... if they bring this back I might just die from happiness. I almost died from happy tears watching the videos!! :blush: Dare I hope they are actually bringing Dreamfinder and original loveable Figment back?! Any ideas when we will hear about this besides just hopeful speculation?

But, anyway.....so basically this is much ado about nothing. Am I wrong in assuming that? I mean, at least when it comes to the parks. Nice.

But, anyway.....so basically this is much ado about nothing. Am I wrong in assuming that? I mean, at least when it comes to the parks. Nice.

Well, except they DID say up front there would be no parks announcements at D23, so yes they definitely left a big hole there. All the rumors I'm hearing is they are still waiting for the board to approve the big spend they are planning, so they couldn't announce anything yet. (Except I am not sure why they couldn't put more out about Pandora/Avatar since that was announced 2 years ago.)

Well, except they DID say up front there would be no parks announcements at D23, so yes they definitely left a big hole there. All the rumors I'm hearing is they are still waiting for the board to approve the big spend they are planning, so they couldn't announce anything yet. (Except I am not sure why they couldn't put more out about Pandora/Avatar since that was announced 2 years ago.)

I agree! Whether you're into it or not, you'd think there would be more info by now about what to expect and what's to come!

From the YouTube comments on the Dreamfinder video:

During the introduction of this, Tony Baxter said, quote: "These characters will grow on you from this, maybe from what happens later...uh...won't go there." then briefly can be seen rubbing his head as though he said something he should't have. Just an observation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter