D23 2011

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by epcotfan, Dec 5, 2010.

1. epcotfan

epcotfan http://youtube.com/wdwchannel1

Is anyone planning on going to D23 in 2011? I have a room booked but I'm nervous abou the crowds seeing as it takes place in August. I'm sure the convention will be great but will summer crowds make touring the park impossible? I've been to Disneyland in September a few times but never in the summer. Will this be a nightmare?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. HydroGuy

HydroGuy DIS Veteran

Summer at DLR is usually not that bad for crowds. Busy but nothing even close to a nightmare. Except around unblocking of APs in some cases. I have not yet decided whether to go. I want to. :)

4. nunzia

nunzia You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys

I'm going..doing the parks a couple days before and after the event. I think I'm blocked on the weekends then, but maybe So Cal ones will be open the week after ..ack! anyone have alink to 2011 blockout days? Could get dicey those couple days after...

5. HydroGuy

HydroGuy DIS Veteran

The DLR website AP section (only for AP holders) lists the following for August 2011:

Deluxe

Blocked August 6, 13 and 20 (all Saturdays)

SoCal

Blocked August 1-20 and 27

SoCal Select

Blocked August 1-21 and 26-28

:wizard:

6. epcotfan

Thanks for your input. :) When we're talking busy, how busy? What kind of ride wait times are we talking about here? I just wonder if D23 will make it even busier than it normally would be in the summer?

7. HydroGuy

HydroGuy DIS Veteran

I have not gone in late August - always by mid-August - in recent years to avoid the unblocking of the AP holders. Typical summer crowds at DLR mean peak wait times of 80-90 minutes for Space Mtn and Splash Mtn, 60-75 minutes for Indy, 60-75 minutes for Soarin and 40 minutes for ToT.

However, understand that it is easier to work around crowds at DLR than at WDW if you stay close to DLR. There are way more SoCal locals at DLR and they tend to arrive late. An early start at DLR is even more useful than at WDW. We go most every summer and rarely wait more than 20 minutes for any ride. :)

See "Getting The Most Out of a Summer Visit To DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1345319

8. epcotfan

Thanks HydroGuy!

9. shoes99

shoes99 DIS Veteran

We are from the Eastcoast and will be attending D23. Can anyone recommend a hotel for two seniors. We have stayed at HoJo, Crown Plaza, DL Resort, and Paradise pier.

10. shoes99

shoes99 DIS Veteran

I booked Courtyard by Marriott near the Convention Center. Now I am trying to find airfare from NJ. The fares range from $400 to $550+...

11. skiingfast

skiingfast <font color=teal>Has had no bacon<br><font color=b

Coutryard shoul be alright, it's a little far from the convention center, but not bad. Also you can walk into the Toy Story lot to get the shuttle to the gates.

For Airfare make sure you compare, SAN, LGB, LAX, ONT and BUR. (Listed in order of closest to furthest.)

12. nunzia

N I G H T M A R E

Naturally, the days after the Expo that my DH is joining me for are when all those So Cal APs come OFF being blocked..

13. HydroGuy

HydroGuy DIS Veteran

Yah, I was hoping to get a few days at the parks before the Expo during the blocked time, but it appears I will not be able to get free that week and will have to deal with the unblocked week after. :cool2:

14. Kennywife

Kennywife Sometimes miracles take a little time

We are going! Aug. 18-21. (My hubby and I) We plan to stay at one of the hotels near the Convention Center. :thumbsup2

Gabbie

15. nunzia

Luckily I'm coming in on Wed so get some time before also. My friend and I have Sorcerer tickets and that is supposed to have a hard hat tour prior, but is is Thursday night or Friday AM ? No clue.

I will once again suggest the Jolly Roger for an economical hotel very close to the Convention Center for those who haven't booked yet.

16. CMG1

CMG1 Mouseketeer

My DH and I are going in August. We are staying at Park Vue Inn, its not close to the convention ctr but for those of you who are really familiar with the area I'm I looking at a pretty long walk to the convention ctr? The research I have done says its about a mile or a little less on foot?

TIA for any info!